Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date: 19 September 2017 is 6:30am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synth. 26/63mm knot
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #2
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Intense EDT

Date: 19 September 2017 is 6:30am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synth. 26/63mm knot
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #2
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Intense EDT

You stay safe over there in London mate!

You stay safe over there in London mate!
I know Mark and is still very sad over here in UK while the police are everywhere on trains and buses doing random security checks and id's, I'll be coming very home soon two more days to go and my last shave will be on the 21st.

Today (Tuesday)

Pre: shower
razor: Merkur 42c
blade: Wilkinson
brush: yaqi synthetic
soap: Shaver heaven 1st anniversary
splash: Floid suave

8io1pML.jpg

Nice shave. This is my 3rd australian artisan brand tried I all have been really nice. It is also my first artisan vegan, and mi first "unobtanium" soap.

The shaving wasn't perfect, I could blame it for the lack of tallow (LOL) or either the blade being to old already, or the new body soap I used today, but while everything was ok on the shave, the splash was a bit agressive on my skin. It has only happened in the last times when I bougth a new body soap, so as this happened also today, It may be that some artisan body soaps has something that may irritate a bit my face

Haha I know you, it's like water off a ducks back (y)
To provide some solace there is a lot of information and equal part misinformation on the histories of GEM, Ever-ready and Star out there. Who owned who and when and if they licensed the design or 'borrowed' it as international patents were not enforced etc etc.

You could say my Rotbart 5031 is a Gillette as they owned Rotbart at the time (correct me if I'm wrong) of manufacture but it isn't fair to the employees of Rotbart to say they were Gillette (don't mention the war :muted:).
From what I've read out there is E-Bars were first made by Ever-Ready and GEM made them later as G-Bars, again correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way great mild, smooth & efficient shavers, one of my favourite SEs as I find the older GEMs/ERs blade hooks/retainers can be felt or rough :punch:. Now where did I hide my 1924 :sneaky:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Having come home and checked, let me correct the record -

Razor: Ever-ready 'E' bar
Blade: GEM (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau 'Baskerville' shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) 'Lavande Violette' splash
Cologne: N/A

@Mark1966 lol was just having a little dig at the master on the 'typo' :LOL:

Just making sure a gent of your calibre maintains his rank amongst us noobs by keeping you on your toes ;)

Positive is you made me find my 1924 when I got home. Shave tomorrow should be interesting. Frankly have been scare to use it since reading aggressive reviews on it.

@Mark1966 lol was just having a little dig at the master on the 'typo' :LOL:

Just making sure a gent of your calibre maintains his rank amongst us noobs by keeping you on your toes ;)

Positive is you made me find my 1924 when I got home. Shave tomorrow should be interesting. Frankly have been scare to use it since reading aggressive reviews on it.

I'm a babe in the SE woods!

I mean, I think I only have a dozen or so of them.

Must pay more attention :)

Razor: Ever-ready 'E' bar
Blade: GEM (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming TSM Fougere shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender splash
Cologne: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDP

Now I know what I'm actually shaving with - the shave seems a whole lot better!

Thanks @RustyBlade old cobber ;)

4vELBNY.jpg

Musgo Glyce Pre Shave
Thater Silvertip
Gillette Slim
Feather
Martin de Candre Original
Chatillon Lux Fourth and Pine Salve
Chatillon Lux Fourth and Pine Aftershave
Houbigant Cologne Intense EDP

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone! (y) We are all home now safe and sound.
Congratulations. Before long you will have a long beard and bags under your eyes due to lack of time and sleep. Its more than worth it though.
Yep, that's pretty much the way it's going. :sleep::sleep::sleep: I should find myself a beard forum.
Congratulations and best of luck to all three of you @Benjamin :)
Make that all four of us. We actually got double trouble!

Double Congratulations!

Not sure what is available in birth year razors but ...

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone! (y) We are all home now safe and sound.

Yep, that's pretty much the way it's going. :sleep::sleep::sleep: I should find myself a beard forum.

Congrats. Great to hear you're all ok and well.

But just a heads up, twins aren't double trouble .... more like triple trouble. Mine are 3 next week.

96ad6088e5.png

Pre: hot splash
Brush: Muhle Synthetic Silvertip 21mm
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 (Shovelhead)
Blade: gem (6)
A/S: Two-phase Nivea

Interesting shave on the old 1924. At first I'm like this is mild and smooth so should be fun. Oh what is that rattle.. blade moving back on fourth. Oh that is why it is mild.
Mechanical alignment adjustment via tweezers that where close at hand to bend the blade retention springs out.
Holy that is not mild anymore. Glad I'm taking my time.
Some blade feel but still smooth and very efficient on the flats. But the upper lip and tight under the jaw was aggressive so getting that angle right is important.
First time using the ER 1924 so didn't enjoy it much as not as easy to maneuver and felt rough and couldn't relax.
However later on was surprised how DFS and close to BBS I got on two passes and buffing.
So after a few more shaves I should like it.

96ad6088e5.png

Pre: hot splash
Brush: Muhle Synthetic Silvertip 21mm
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 (Shovelhead)
Blade: gem (6)
A/S: Two-phase Nivea

Interesting shave on the old 1924. At first I'm like this is mild and smooth so should be fun. Oh what is that rattle.. blade moving back on fourth. Oh that is why it is mild.
Mechanical alignment adjustment via tweezers that where close at hand to bend the blade retention springs out.
Holy that is not mild anymore. Glad I'm taking my time.
Some blade feel but still smooth and very efficient on the flats. But the upper lip and tight under the jaw was aggressive so getting that angle right is important.
First time using the ER 1924 so didn't enjoy it much as not as easy to maneuver and felt rough and couldn't relax.
However later on was surprised how DFS and close to BBS I got on two passes and buffing.
So after a few more shaves I should like it.
The '24 is a bit of a strange beast, imo. I've have great, super close, smooth shaves with it and rough as guts shaves with it. Probably user error on my end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.