Status
Not open for further replies.
20171001_125505.jpg

Razor: 1920S Gillette New Improved OC
Blade: Gillette Stainless (2)
Soap: OSP Rosemary & Peppermint
Brush: AP Shave Co tuxedo 30mm

Thoughts...
- Great Sunday morning shave with some green and fresh products as the weather finally starts to warm up. Two days growth to a BBS in 3 passes.
- These white and red boxed Gillette Stainless blades are smooth shavers! I've only seen @Cris use them before and they were hard to get. I really must use them in a few razors.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger,
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage Aussie/Scots Permasharp (2)
Splash: Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails

Still a bit nippy here in Perth, so Bay Rum time. Lovely lather from Stirling as always. I find the Stirling Bay Rum to be on the gentle side, which I like (in a Bay Rum soap).
I am really loving my vintage Scottish Perma Sharp blades. They have a decent amount of blade feel, but you can use this to your advantage to get really close really quickly.
My favourite modern blade is the Polsilver Super Iridium - I find them super smooth and very sharp. However, I always seem to get a couple of micro-weepers, which I never feel at the time.
The Perma Sharp does not feel as smooth on the face, but boy does it mow down the stubble, and the extra feel allows you to judge the closeness very precisely - hence no weepers (for me, anyway).
Finished off with a good lashing of the Cat O' Nine Tails.

22104442_1700892589923172_3740680658295117390_o.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long
Soap: Harlingen
Razor: Gillette, Slim
Blade: Rapira

I haven't used the Slim for a while but every time I come back to it I seem to want to use a higher setting, up to 9 today, 5 for the pick-ups.
I've had the Gillette aftershave kicking about for ages, simple clean fresh, I think it is about time I actually finished something! So, I'm sticking with it till it's gone.

Have a great Monday

Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristrocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS British Wilkinson Sword (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' shaving brush
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming & Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget aftershave
Cologne: N/A

E6E5D58B-2795-4DA5-B299-D71E8CBF3637_zps2na5qswc.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Nettle n Neem
Brush: Vie Long Horse/Badger
Razor: Gillette New
Blade: Rapira (1)
Interesting shave this morning with first run of the Gillette New. The Nettle n Neem takes a bit of patience to lather with the initial result being a stringy plasticy emulsion but with continual addition of water finally turns into a creamy lather.
The Gillette New is another mild OC razor but not quite as mild as the Razorock Old Type I used yesterday, so it was a more satisfying shave achieving the same smooth finish without quite as much work.

CJskYpN.jpg

PAA PRE SHAVE SOAP
ENGLISH GEM
GEM SS (NEW)
TF BERRYLICIOUS 2-BAND
B & M RESERVE COOL
SQUADRON ACE SPLASH
My knowledge of these vintage Gem/Ever-Ready razors is not great. If someone out there (@Sticky maybe) can tell me what model this razor is it would be much appreciated. All i know is its a English made Gem that was in a "bathroom" set.

Last edited:
CJskYpN.jpg

PAA PRE SHAVE SOAP
ENGLISH GEM
GEM SS (NEW)
TF BERRYLICIOUS 2-BAND
B & M RESERVE COOL
FINE AMERICAN BLEND SPLASH
My knowledge of these vintage Gem/Ever-Ready razors is not great. If someone out there (@Sticky maybe) can tell me what model this razor is it would be much appreciated. All i know is its a English made Gem that was in a "bathroom" set.
Looks like a 1912 with aluminium handle to me.

Thank you. :)
A Gem 1912 with a aluminium handle indeed. But all this 1912 business can be confusing. I have a bathroom set but it is Ever Ready with an aluminium handle. I have read that Gem stopped making the 1912 in 1930, after they started making the Micromatic. The 1912 continued to be made by Ever Ready and Star, both parts of ASR (American Safety Razor), until the early 50's. I thought my bathroom set was post-war and the aluminium handles were used as there was a shortage of brass etc, so late 40's early 50's. Yours looks to be about the same time so it's confusing that it is a Gem if that date is correct. I have English and American 1912Gems and Ever Readys, American Gems would be from 1921-1930, English Ever Ready probably from 1930-1952ish and for the rest I am now even more confused. If anyone else has more information I would be interested.

My bathroom set, different aluminium handle. Does it look very similar to yours?
22135344_1701165413229223_4243334264797652890_o.jpg

First DE Shave Ever
10/02/2017

Pre: - Pears Soap
Brush: - Cheap Amcal Special
Lather: - Strop Shoppe Black Tie
Razor: - Merkur 34C
Blade: - Astra(1)

Exceeded my expectations. Had virtually no irritation on my neck even though I did 3 passes, normally with a cart my neck is a big hot mess.
Actually excited to shave again!

Maybe next time I'll take a picture :)

A Gem 1912 with a aluminium handle indeed. But all this 1912 business can be confusing. I have a bathroom set but it is Ever Ready with an aluminium handle. I have read that Gem stopped making the 1912 in 1930, after they started making the Micromatic. The 1912 continued to be made by Ever Ready and Star, both parts of ASR (American Safety Razor), until the early 50's. I thought my bathroom set was post-war and the aluminium handles were used as there was a shortage of brass etc, so late 40's early 50's. Yours looks to be about the same time so it's confusing that it is a Gem if that date is correct. I have English and American 1912Gems and Ever Readys, American Gems would be from 1921-1930, English Ever Ready probably from 1930-1952ish and for the rest I am now even more confused. If anyone else has more information I would be interested.

My bathroom set, different aluminium handle. Does it look very similar to yours?
22135344_1701165413229223_4243334264797652890_o.jpg
Id say identical to your one. Except the tray being blue instead of red. Even the tape holding the razor in the tray was in the exact same place.
X0r50fm.jpg

First DE Shave Ever
10/02/2017

Pre: - Pears Soap
Brush: - Cheap Amcal Special
Lather: - Strop Shoppe Black Tie
Razor: - Merkur 34C
Blade: - Astra(1)

Exceeded my expectations. Had virtually no irritation on my neck even though I did 3 passes, normally with a cart my neck is a big hot mess.
Actually excited to shave again!

Maybe next time I'll take a picture :)

Congrats mate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.