Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockwell 6S (2)
Gillette "Aussie Spoiler" (1)
Razorock P.160
Omega 48
Re-lather and cold rinse

A shout out to @TomG for giving me a pack of these blades a long time ago, which I have only just now got around to trying. Once I found the angle (which seemed a bit different to other blades in this razor), I had a very smooth 3 pass DFS+ with no irritation. An excellent start!

I broke out one of my synthetics tonight and it did a good job. Rich moist lather and it held moisture throughout the shave. Now this is only me ---
[1] Boar by a good sty length.
[2] Synthetic - a bowser away
and a distant third skulking in the bushes a Silver tip Badger.

Mind you for most of my shaving life I was lucky to have a shave brush or "a hole in the road", so in reality all of them are luxury.

2 passes tonight and so close to a BBS - but a very healthy DFS++
I went Middle Eastern barber shop tonight with Arko
and finished with a splash of Macadamia nut oil.

WP_20171130_20_00_20_Pro.jpg

Brush: Maseto Silvertip
Razor: SS General
Blade: Schick P30 (14)
Soap: Blues Goat Milk

Last shave tonight with the base line Schick P30 ~ 7 shaves on each side of the blade.... the last 2 shaves were a bit tuggy so the next SE will be flipped after 6 shaves and used only 12 times.

The cheap @rse shaving soap from China arrived today. I don't think I loaded enough as the lather was a bit light without much body. It lathered up fine though and the scent is very mild ~ smells a bit like white chocolate buttons! A couple of weepers on the neck tonight but I put that down to the blade - it wouldn't be fair to judge a new soap with a blade that is not at it's best. 2 passes across the grain is becoming my norm, the General doesn't seem to mind.

Next month my Rockwell and Voskhods will get some looooove..... DEcember 1st tomorrow, pinch and a punch and all that!!!!

I still have one more even cheaper soap to arrive - hope it gets here soon!

I am boring as hell these days, but the B&M 42 is really on the last legs... the ring around the bottom is now broken and should only have a couple more shaves in it. In fact I will probably need to compress it into a small & flat puck in the container. Never fear, I have some SH Movember that pairs with the Monsta Myrtle nicely.

My Plisstane is looking worse for wear also, it's quite a few years old now..... there's lacquer cracking and discolouration.... the knot is still solid and glued in but the tips are now almost too soft and thin which has diminished the loading process.

Starting to get an itch to buy a nice restored Fatboy like a Delta Echo or a North Shore... damned @FluffyGroodle's putting them in front of my face last Sydney meet.

It is a sight to behold at our Adelaide get together when @alfredus and @nsavage present their newest Badger additions to the ever expanding colony of badgers. Almost one more each time.:yuck::whistle: Without a doubt the secret with any brush is to load. Load and load some more. Soap isn't that expensive to skimp on. I often bag badgers, the brushes, but only in fun, they are excellent brushes and each person finds the best fit for his shaving experience. We probably need to convince @alfredus to record a badger lathering tutorial :sneaky:

Steve
Sounds like you've got a serious badger infestation there in Adelaide Steve! :LOL:

Thanks for the advice, I probably have been trying to avoid over-loading my brush with this soft soap and in fact under-loaded it.
I also found some useful information in the "Shave University" forum last night that I try over the weekend.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of us would benefit from a tutorial from @alfredus , the Badger-whisperer. :whistle:

QfV1M8G.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave Butter
Simpson CH3
Mergress XL
Feather
Sudsy Soapery+Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget Shaving Soap
Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget Salve
Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget Aftershave
AP Reserve Borked-The EDP!

38722236092_45fdca7278_c.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Squadron/APR Australians All
Brush: Omega Boar 21762
Razor: Dr Balfanz
AS: Australians All
Appointment with the Dr today after giving it a run on the stones last night. I think this is the best shave I've had out of it yet. It was a nice shave (sublime after yesterdays) but I think it will benefit from some more work on the stones to try and even out the bevel (minor blade warp). Bring on the w/e. Big week in western NSW dodging goats and emus and B-doubles sliding sideways up wet n greasy unsealed roads.

Pre: hot wash
Brush: Yaqi Timber wolf 26mm
Soap: B&M Adagio
Razor: Wilkinson Sword "Sticky"
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
A/S: Australian Private Reserve Coolabah LE Splash

Oh my oh my.. what a great shave. Nice mild and smooth Sticky shave with the B&M Adagio.
I don't post a lot of SOTDs but had to today as it was the first time that I used the APR Coolabah splash.

I'm in love with the scent, everyone at work loves it, my partner likes it (so nearly there). It is awesome!! :love:

Performance of the splash was excellent and on par like all APR splashes/aftershaves my face after five hours is fresh, smooth and not greasy.

Oh and pleasantly mentholated :ROFLMAO: I don't know what 'pleasantly mentholated' is or how it is measured but terms like mild, dash or lightly aren't even close. With in ten seconds it was lighting up with that lovely cool pineapple sensation across my face and neck.. oh yeah a minute in and still going harder and then I cried a little as it is 'pleasantly mentholated'. :nailbiting: :joyful:

Ah @todras a masterpiece and truly an :artist: absolutely love it. Five hours later I get wafts of the top & middle notes and that base of wood, musk, moss levels sit well and linger lightly for a sophisticated summer scent.

As mentioned the soap is still not used and may keep it that way as this soap will become legendary or I go and buy more of it (more than likely).

Now how can I get the Eau De Parfum that you never made for it as I want this to last all day and do not want to purchase Aventus Creed? :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Date: 01 December 2017 "SOTD"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Lather: - Route 66 ~ Bourbon Jungle 3x
Bowl: - Captain's Choice
Razor: - Fatip Grande Open Comb
Blade: - Gillette Nacet #4
Post: - Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive Aftershave Balm with Birch Sap
Fragrance: - Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

Rockwell 6S (4)
Gillette "Aussie Spoiler" (2)
Razorock P.160
Nonno's old boar brush
Re-lather and cold rinse

Yesterday's shave was so smooth on plate 2 with this blade I thought I would up the efficiency a bit today with plate 4. It might have been a bit premature. Got a nice 3 pass DFS but with some irritation and a mild rash. But my six year old daughter wanted to chat this morning so the distraction may not have helped...

This old boar brush has an ali handle in the shape of an Omega/Zenith pro (same size as a 48) and loses a couple of hairs every time I use it so I rarely give it a run. The smell of old Palmolive cream is deeply embedded in it (must have been all my nonno ever used). The knot rattles around in the handle and it has a pronounced donut from decades of abuse which has broken all the central hairs. Yet it produces the best lather of any of my brushes using the least pressure while taking the least time. The bristle is particularly fine, without being floppy as the tips are "wispy", being imperceptible to feel. When lathered, it feels more like a gel sponge than a brush. It's quite incredible and hard to describe just how fine the tips of this brush have become. The lather it produces is awesome, all while not feeling there is a brush there at all.

Even though it might just be the result of decades of "breaking in", I have to try to find a modern equivalent. My Omega 48 is close but the bristle is clearly quite a bit thicker. I hear that Omega Italian flag boar has finer bristle while retaining the shape of an Omega - might have to give it a try...

Now how can I get the Eau De Parfum that you never made for it as I want this to last all day and do not want to purchase Aventus Creed?

It's a LE man, once it's gone it's gone, I really don't see it becoming an EDP or even an EDT at any point.

My idea was for a limited summer fragrance,I did ensure that the fragrance enjoys an extended duration though by upping the dosage of perfume in each aftershave.

Thanks again @todras as this is my favourite scent so far and including Coeur De Vert, Winterfall but of course excluding the most magnificent General Ledger!!

FTFY

hhwWueu.jpg

APR Winterfell Soap
ADP Badger
SV Grail
Mühle Rocca
Nacet
APR Winterfell Splash
APR Winterfell EDP
The 1st of December and officially the start of Winter, I say officially as it’s always bloody freezing here. The start of the month brings the start of a new challenge, ‘One soap for a month’, a thread that was started on a UK based forum. Well, I’m going a couple of steps further with the same razor, splash and EDP.

I’m also now looking forward to receiving ‘Coolabah’. I can’t wait for the ‘Lady with a mouth like a dock worker’ to shout “Who the fuck stinks like *Stinking Bishop”

*Stinking Bishop - http://www.charlesmartell.com/products/stinking-bishop/

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Cream: Palmolive Classic (European)
Razor: ATT Kronos S1
Blade: Personna Super Iridium (3)
Splash: Floid Vigaroso

A fairly speedy shave today. Three passes, using the Palmolive Cream for the first time. A somewhat bland generic scent, but lathered very easily and the performance was fine. Not a huge amount of residual slickness, but loads of suds for the three passes.
The S1 Slant continues to impress with its smoothness.

Rockwell 6S (2)
Gillette "Aussie Spoiler" (1)
Razorock P.160
Omega 48
Re-lather and cold rinse

A shout out to @TomG for giving me a pack of these blades a long time ago, which I have only just now got around to trying. Once I found the angle (which seemed a bit different to other blades in this razor), I had a very smooth 3 pass DFS+ with no irritation. An excellent start!
Cheers Mate. Glad you are enjoying them (y).

Status
Not open for further replies.