Status
Not open for further replies.
GUcA19ll.jpg

Brush: SJoL Silvertip
Razor: Mamba
Blade: Minx
Soap: OSP Bay Rum
A/S: TOBS Bay Rum

Hello old friend..... it's been a while!

WP_20171203_20_51_53_Pro.jpg

Brush: Maseto Silvertip
Razor: Rockwell 6S (3)
Blade: Astra (1)
Soap: Shaver Heaven

Yes! I'm back on the DE blades again after dancing with a single edge for the last few weeks.
An excellent 2 pass XTG shave with ample cushion and glide from the Drogon Noir.
No nicks/cuts/tugs or stoopid huge trillion-billion-megapixel photos that take 5 mins to download!

I'm ready for the new week now, looking forwards to the return of my family who has been overseas the last 3 weeks visiting Grandmum!

VpCGYPK.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave
BSB
Wolfman WR1 OC
Feather
AP Reserve Lightning Ridge Shaving Soap
AP Reserve Lightning Ridge Aftershave
AP Reserve Lightning Ridge EDP

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (8)
Brush: P&C (Tony Forsyth) LE 2017 24mm bulb Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge EDP

Brief sojourn at home after arriving yesterday PM and now off to Perth overnight and then Sydney. This should be my travel almost done for the year...

I could not resist trying to Lightning Ridge today. The usual @todras complexity and depth - I will reserve judgement until a couple of other uses. Certainly lots going on! Performance top notch of course - in terms of judgement I'm only really talking about whether I like the scent!

Rockwell 6S (6)
Gillette "Aussie Spoiler" (4)
Razorock P.160
Omega 48
Re-lather and cold rinse

A lovely 3 pass (XTG/ATG/ATG) BBS. Efficient and smooth. Spent that little bit extra time loading it and ended up overflowing with lather... Still experiencing some slight post shave heat with this soap.

37934313835_5a9e4b030d_c.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm shower/homebrew oils
Brush: Shavemac 142
Razor: RazoRock Mamba
Blade: Polsilver
Lather: APR Lightning Ridge
Post-shave: Rockwell AS Balm/Speick AS
Fragrance: CK Free

I have been waiting for this APR release since @todras passed a sample around a couple of meetups ago. It wasn't something that I immediately liked, but it just grew on me as the afternoon went on. Even my wife kept sniffing me on the drive home after I described the scent profile to her :) It does remind me a lot of driving out towards Lithgow & Mudgee after it had just rained on the highway (y) It's a very evocative scent that can be quite polarizing, but I just love it!

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Slim' (5)
Blade: Brand new Polsilver
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Movember
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve Borked splash

Well, a seriously nice Monday shave that one. Not going to talk about too much other than the AS, other than a shoutout to @Anthony for the Movember. Yes, I know it is December now but since the B&M '42' is done I needed another citrus-based soap and this one is stepping into the breach as a primary soap. The 1st Anniversary might also go nicely with this as a deeper, spicier undertone.

Here I am in excess of 8 hours since application, and this AS is still singing to my senses.

In my opinion, this composition by @todras might actually be his 'Lavanille' moment. Initial application sees the Lime notes but these disappear quickly giving way to a drydown featuring a heavily Yuzu-dominated affair, but it is definitely still present as of this post. That's some amazing sillage for a citrus-based scent however it's mostly driven by Myrrh and Ambergris in the late afternoon with Carnation/rose notes & the Yuzu freshening it slightly. The product exhibits extremely strong projection and strength at the 30-90 minute mark and those using public transport might want to err on the side of caution with it, especially on a warmer day.

Had a compliment on it from a complete stranger in the street, which does not often happen and that's a first for any local product. The rest have been big-name EdT products.

The AS itself I think most of us already know how good it is, this is no exception. It has progressed over time and this one exhibits a slightly different look and feel. As Dan starts to dial the formulation in and process down even further, I think most of you will see a difference when you get a release from now onwards. I have tried some good products over the years (TSW AfterBalm included) but I have never had an AS splash that performs like this. If there is a better one out there somewhere then I haven't tried it (and would happily do so).

For those that are lucky enough to get one, you will enjoy this fresh yet slightly spicy splash. Its going to be the only time it is made as Yuzu is an insanely-priced product, and it is a fitting tribute to the insane personality that is @borked.

Now at the risk of this place becoming the Paste & APR forum, I am going to go buy some Squadron Soaps product and talk about that some more.

I second these sentiments. I haven't the breadth of experience to make comparisons however I feel Monsta_AU has nailed his description of the experience. I find myself wishing there was a way for this to be available in the future. I know there are reasons for the limited numbers. Just seems a shame when you have a first class splash like this.

Great 2 pass DFS tonight. I tried another one of my synthetics tonight and it must have been grown on a different part of the oil field as it performed very well.
My blade tonight was a very neglected 6/8" no name from Sheffield. Reset the bevel and finished on my Coticule with oil and I have to admit it is a great blade. Looks a bit like road kill but performs fabulously.
I'm enjoying my Coconut soap with a bit of Kokum butter. Very smooth shave.
Anyone considering straight razor shaving - jump in the water/lather is fine.

rsBMXs5.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V
Lather: Mike's Lime
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Perfect shave to start the new week - smooth and efficient - I hope you all have a fantastic start into the new week (y)

Pre-Shave: Shower w/ Mandarin & Basil liquid soap
Razor: Ikon X3 on an OSS handle
Blade: Dorco Prime (5)
Brush: Shave Revolution HMW
Lather: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus
Post-Shave: Cold water rinse, followed by a reserved splash of APR 'Borked'

I usually only do these for the travelling box, yet it would be at minimum remiss, if not disrespectful of me not to in this instance.
Whilst I received a large order of APR's latest products at the Sydney Xmas meet up, they've been reserved as impending gifts, thus unable to sample them.
I was able to try APR's forum Xmas gift though, yet desired to reamain sympathetic to other software utilised in accordance to the scent tree for APR 'Borked'.

I find Original Source shower gels/soaps under rated scent and performance wise and they're not a bad price either when on special.
Sure they're not the worlds best, yet they hold their own against a lot of stuff out there.
The mandarin & basil limited edition is one of my favourites from their range.

The Ikon X3 w/ OSS handle is a recent gift and still dialling it in, yet starting to feel at ease with it.
It may be a keeper, yet not entirely sure as yet.

Dorco Prime Platinum is a sampler from @Monsta_AU and actually quite surprising, rate it similar to Astra greens or Derby Blacks, both everyday usable blades that I'd be happy to use if I didn't have enough vintage & Polsilver blades to wallpaper a house with!

SR HMW is the perfect cream brush, big soft and less backbone than most brushes.
Nice sized handle to reduce lather departing it's way with the knot onto your finger, thus increasing chances of it slipping out of your grip.

Musgo Real Spiced Citrus is nicely scented, performs ok, or good for a cream, yet not a big fan of creams.

APR 'Borked' where do I start?
Still taken back to the time and effort that would of gone into producing this.
Why?
It's bloody sensational and thus, a pity that cost will likely prevent it ever returning.
@todras was this influenced in part by another product or products?
I ask, as it reminds me of something I've smelled before.
It is not a dead ringer of it, it is better!
'Borked' makes what I'm trying to associate with appear to be the cheap imitation!
The scent is still detectable upon my hand I used to apply it with 14 hours later and that's after multiple water rinses.
The scents others have described combined form a great description.
The complexity is something you would expect from career professional perfumer.
As for face feel, I used not moisturiser pre or post this, it absorbed into the face reasonably quickly without an overly greasy feel, it didn't leave a sticky residue.
Simply put TSW PostBalm and an A/S splash from APR is all one should ever need for post shave.
I am simply amazed at how far you have come in such a short period of time @todras and once again humbly thank you for this amazingly thoughtful gift you've afforded not only myself, yet other lucky members here (as to which, if they do not like it, I'm all too happy to negotiate a swap or sale).

uO4EN6p.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave
Paladin Falstaff
Wolfman/UFO GOLiATH
Feather
Martin de Candre Shavng Soap
Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Salve
Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Lavende Poivre EDT

24965525398_fc71345e0e_z.jpg

Soap: Squadron Soap Captain's Blend
Brush: Vie Long Horse/Badger
Razor: Slim (5,7,9)
Blade: Polsilver (3 and out)
AS: Alfredus Choice
This combination made me feel at home this morning. One of those shaves where everything comes together.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.