Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ripe fruit/sour/vomit/cheese note expiring on contact is just the nature of the volatile aldehyde expiring and as far as I know has nothing to do with the menthol per se when I have used it, but then again everyones skin is different and everyones environment/temperature and the interaction of said is definitely different so you just may be spot on in your situation.

The soap base is the same AP Reserve base, we have not revised it although with the warmer weather I am sure it is loosened up a little and the soaps were dosed a little stronger than usual as it's a summer LE thing and I wanted it to pop a little so the extra oils and AC's in the soap base itself may be having a slight effect.

Ah, I see. I suppose it’s coincidence rather than causality but that rush of menthol (and Coolabah is my most mentholated aftershave now) happened at the same time as the pineapple “freshened” :) I love menthol in the summer.

I could have sworn the soap base was a smidge better - mind you, it’s been over two months since I used Winterfell and Mycroft which, before Australians All, were my last APR soap purchases. It goes without saying - just outstanding and The Colonial General and super sharp blades sing with it. The current soaps also seem to have much less of a tallow smell to them which was the only negative, for me, of the original run. I’m more sensitive than most to “tallow smell” for some reason which is why I offloaded all my P&B almost as soon as they arrived.

uXRihWA.jpg

PAA PRE SHAVE SOAP
WOLFMAN GUERRILLA
VOSKHOD
TF BERRYLICIOUS/SOC BOAR
EUFROS FOUGÈRE
EUFROS FOUGÈRE BALM

Date: 09 December 2017 "SOTD"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Lather: - Route 66 ~ Bourbon Jungle 7x
Bowl: - Captain's Choice
Razor: - Schöne Italian Open Comb
Blade: - Treet Platinum #1
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance: - L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

The Schöne Italian open comb is very efficient and smooth razor than my Fatip Grande open comb :eek::wideyed:, if you guys love you're Fatip Grande or the Piccolo open comb than you'll love the Schöne Italian razor.

Date: 09 December 2017 "SOTD"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Lather: - Route 66 ~ Bourbon Jungle 7x
Bowl: - Captain's Choice
Razor: - Schöne Italian Open Comb
Blade: - Treet Platinum #1
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance: - L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

The Schöne Italian open comb is very efficient and smooth razor than my Fatip Grande open comb :eek::wideyed:, if you guys love you're Fatip Grande or the Piccolo open comb than you'll love the Schöne Italian razor.

You said smoother and more efficient. How does that equate to milder or more aggression in relation to the Fatip Grande please?

You said smoother and more efficient. How does that equate to milder or more aggression in relation to the Fatip Grande please?
@RustyBlade is very hard for me to explain, would this picture help you as I'm not very good taking photo's from my iPhone?

The Fatip Grande open comb is on the left and the Schöne Italian open comb is on the right, my mind and my face tell me the Schöne Italian open comb shaves far better than the Fatip Grande open comb.

IMG_0026.jpg

Last edited:
This bloody Anne Bonny soap just won't run out despite 3 minute in-tin loading with the Platypus!

It's hilarious, that soap tin looks as though it's seen action in the trenches too but it keeps hanging on.

I would suggest you employ the 'Adelaide Method' at this point @Snooze - 3 minutes of vigorous and heavy loading, adding water throughout!

@RustyBlade is very hard for me to explain, would this picture help you as I'm not very good taking photo's from my iPhone?

The Fatip Grande open comb is on the left and the Schöne Italian open comb is on the right, my mind and my face tell me the Schöne Italian open comb shaves far better than the Fatip Grande open comb.

IMG_0026.jpg
Thanks @SpeedyPC good pic. Smoother is always better and prefer the teeth on the Schone. :)

@RustyBlade ....Didn't occur to me the teeth on the Schone would make a difference as smoother than the Fatip Grande.
May not impact on it and again it may. Combination of head and blade geometry in relation to the combs make the razor.

Just personally like the thicker combs so if a drop accident occurs then there is a less chance of the combs being bent.

Horses for courses really.

Razor: ikon slant (on loan from the thoughtful @DrBob )
Blade: vintage polsilver (kindly given to me by @borked )
Soap: bay lime home brew test batch from the fantastic @Pbgoose
Splash: borked (a gift of the season from the brilliantly kind @todras )

Guys, the shave was great but it truely is more than the sum of the gear, the generosity expressed here on the forum is beyond measure and I am truly grateful, gentlemen thank you, have a terrific Sunday.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock 'Black' (4)
Brush: P&C (Tony Forsyth) LE 2017 24mm bulb Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge EDP

Most consistent I've been with a set up for a while - deserves a pic clearly -

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Agressia Sensitive
Razor: UFO Goliath / ATT S1
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (4)
EdT: Armaf Club De Nuit Intense

Using another of the Bulgarian Creams I picked up in recent travels. The Agressia, like other Bulgarian Creams I have tried, produces a dense and persistent lather. The trump card for the Agressia is the scent.
It has a lovely cologne scent - smells really classy and punching well above its modest price. The scent is a take on a popular modern Men's fragrance - I just can't quite identify it, but it is really nice.
Three passes for a DFS+. I'm starting to get the hang of the Slant - all up a very comfortable and close shave.
Finished with the Armaf Club De Nuit Intense. A couple of fellow wet shavers recommended this. Yes - it is similar to Aventus; I noticed this immediately. However, it has more apple than pineapple in the top notes, and also black current, balanced with citrus. It has a very elegant musk/woods dry down. It has good sillage and longevity, and, at least for me, represents amazing value for money.
Try layering this with the CDNI.
10% is probably more than you will require for a more faithful replication and subdue the lemon top note.
What batch is your bottle?

Brush: Proraso
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra
Pre: PAA Prickly Pear Preshave puck
Lather: Shaving Factory mystery soap

UeadLy3.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Hucklaration
Lather: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Very enjoyable Sunday shave with some stellar Mike's lather.

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday (y)

Shaves from the weekend...

https://flic.kr/p/HowF7X
Brush: Restored Made Rite badger
Razor: Merkur Futur #1
Blade: Personna Blue
Lather: MWS Coconut Lime Verbena
Post-shave: Dapper Dragon Scale Polish AS Balm/Speick AS Lotion
Fragrance: ADP Bergamotto di Calabria
https://flic.kr/p/HowF7X

https://flic.kr/p/EcXFRm
Brush: RazoRock Monster
Razor: Rockwell 6C #3