Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
20171211_135438.jpg

Yesterday was my birthday and - after my daughter tricked me with a disposable - I gratefully received my SS General. Today is the first shave with it, the Feather Pro Super blades and APR Lightning Ridge... thus breaking all the rules about not changing everything up.

I decided to use the Windrose handle I’ve used with the aluminium as I prefer it to what comes by default. Brilliant shave, as always. I was made for lovin’ this head. I did a fair old slice on my chin after I got cocky just to remind me to be careful. Alum for the win.

Soap is brilliant. Aftershave is BIG menthol and a great face feel.

The Lightning Ridge scent is an interesting beast. This natural, sweetish/tartish enigma is exactly the profile that would have clashed with the tallow funk I got from the original APR soap base. Obviously I’m speaking from my point of view because I know I’m more sensitive to tallow funk than most around here. I don’t know why but I think the issue is solved now. Longer curing time? Whatever it is - well done, team. The splash is a mentholated which is welcome in this weather. Lightning Ridge feels like the country after a summer shower. I can’t describe it better than that and I like it’s “greeness”. Tossing up whether to go for an EdP but 20 mins in - it’s a yes.
Happy Birthday for yesterday @Greenpike ! The SS General is a great gift (y)

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage British made Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Simpson LE 19/150 Jubilee shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre EDP

Fresh start today, and ohhh, so nice!

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage British made Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Simpson LE 19/150 Jubilee shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre EDP

Fresh start today, and ohhh, so nice!

Wow! That is a very early set of General ledger..that soap!!

I think (emphasis on think) that it is the Washpool farm tallow base in that tub...the one I was trialing.

Yes, I believe you are correct :)

Come a long way since those days ... (y)

I use postimage.org, you don't need an account and upload straight from your PC.

You can resize the photos to suit forums which is awesome.... don't upload full size images to the forum unless you're "special" and like to pi$$ everybody off with slow loading images/pages.
@ Scotty Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I can assure you my attempts at photography pale in comparison to what's on show here and I'll keep it in mind to only upload photos that don't upset or hinder the forum ;)

Do you count Flickr & Imgur as social media? I just put my pics in a private folder & use the BBCode to share. I just learned from these guys as well, so it's not a silly question (y)
@FluffyGroodle Sorry, I meant facebook or instagram but I'm open to any way that's user friendly if you know what I mean but thanks for the suggestion ;)

38106792105_d40557d5cd_c.jpg

Soap: Pb Copaiba
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Tanifuji 6125
Gave the Copaiba it's first run this morning. Lather was beautiful, easy to lather, great face feel, thick and creamy. Easy DFS shave in combination with the Tanifuji. Very happy with the performance of the soap. I had increased the silk content but difficult to judge result with the clay content. I will need to trial that change with a non clay soap.
Scent is not playing nicely yet. Copaiba needs time to develop so I probably won't pull this soap out again for a couple of weeks. The scent settling is normal with soap production but amplified with the Copaiba as the difference in scent between fresh and developed is stark. Scent wise I was happy when the shave was complete this morning as the scent was annoying. The copaiba scent is just starting to show it's colours but is still quite raw.

Rockwell 6S (4)
Lord Racer blade (4)
Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow v3
Omega 48
Re-lather and rinse

A lovely shave now that I'm on a mission to finish this soap. One of those soaps where a single load can make a meaningful difference to the amount left in the tub with a big brush. I should have used plate 6 on the Rockwell though - either the blade is dulling quicker than usual or the angle wasn't right - so I had to go over some areas but still ended with a DFS and a little irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.