Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another wonderful shave with one of my Russian beauties tonight. I played soap maker today and it is getting closer each time to my ultimate straight razor shaving soap.
I was asked today if I would ever shave again with a safety type razor and barring the loss of both arms I had to answer no :) If you are contemplating a straight - do it and it will either lock you in for life or confirm it is not for you. You should know for sure after about 100 shaves :)

09wXzn5.jpg

February 26th, 2017

Muhle R41
Voskhod
Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Gondolier"

First go with the Muhle R41 which was generously PIFed to me by @Cris. I have heard a lot about this razor (hasn't everyone?) and I have to admit that when I first looked at it I became a little scared. It looks like a scarily aggressive razor without a blade loaded. On top of that I had only a days growth and was therefore concerned that I had not enough for such an aggressive looking razor. Having decided that I needed a great quality lather that I knew would be nice and protective I went for the PAA which has the added benefit of having a sensational scent to it. Whether you are a PAA fan or not you must admit that Douglas is exceptional at making scents that work. Having created a great lather I apprehensively loaded the blade and as soon as I did the razor suddenly looked very tame. There was very little blade showing and the blade gap did not appear to be that much. I had already been warned that this was the case however and therefore I proceeded with great caution. On the face this razor does feel aggressive. This is not one of those amazingly efficient razors that hardly let you know that there is a blade loaded, quite the opposite in fact, this is an exceptionally efficient razor that makes sure that you know that there is a blade loaded. I was constantly conscious of applying good technique and no pressure throughout the shave. 3 passes and the smallest of touch ups and I was rewarded with a very close BBS shave and no weepers, cuts, nicks or trips to the emergency ward. On top of that no irritation and minimal sting from the alum areas that are generally prone to such feedback.

The razor strikes me as being a very good way of ensuring your technique is spot on. You can tell when using it that the razor is going to well and truly let you know about it if you mess about. The razor would definitely suit those with thick and coarse beards that need that extra level of aggressiveness to tame them.

Members participating in the "P&C Travelling Box" are going to be lucky enough to find out for themselves as the razor will be making it's way to @Mark1966 this week for inclusion in the box. I am very much looking forward to hearing some reviews and also seeing who is brave enough to give it a go!

@nsavage the none fearless R41 wookie pork chop and welcome to the R41 club, question will you used the R41 again doesn't matter if you had 1 or 2 days stubble because you won't be able to shave for at least 3 days might surprised you.

It about time you're using the SOC 2 Band Badger :D what taken you so long :cautious: Next time when using the R41 try a heavier handle because it works far better than the original Muhle handle, because the heavier handle will give you more control and balance while shaving with zero pressure and stress free throughout the whole shave.

@nsavage the none fearless R41 wookie pork chop and welcome to the R41 club, question will you used the R41 again doesn't matter if you had 1 or 2 days stubble because you won't be able to shave for at least 3 days might surprised you.

It about time you're using the SOC 2 Band Badger :D what taken you so long :cautious: Next time when using the R41 try a heavier handle because it works far better than the original Muhle handle, because the heavier handle will give you more control and balance while shaving with zero pressure and stress free throughout the whole shave.
I will use it again but I have to admit that I am worried that I might not need to shave again until Wednesday or Thursday it was that close.

The SOC 2 Band is great value for money but I have a lot of nice brushes to choose from :)

• Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
  • Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
  • Brush: Wolf Whiskers Envy White 26mm Knot
  • Strop: Kanayama (?)
  • Razor: Dorko 855 6/8"
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block, Myrsol Agua Balsamica
This Dorko takes a great edge and gave a smooth BBS. Today I was reminded how special the Envy White knots are. A good one can be on a par with Shavemac or Paladin knots. The MdC, of course, gave a spectacular lather.

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: P&C Platypus
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Peppermint Plus, Caties Bubbles Mile High Menthol, Glycerin
Razor: Crown & Sword ERN straight, Rockwell 6S (,2)
Blade: GSB (3)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Myrsol Formula "C", TSW After Balm

Gave the straight another run tonight. I think the advice from others last week definitely helped.
Made sure the lather was nice and slick and on the verge of being runny.
After the first pass tonight, I was happy to find that the results were better than after 2 passes last week.
Considering that I was so successful with the first pass, I decided that I would initiate a second tonight, and that I might give an XTG pass a red hot crack...
Glad that I did, because my face was well and truly SAS after the second pass!
Decided not to push my luck after that though, and cleaned the rest up with the trusty Rockwell for a final XTG pass.
Finished up with the usual suspects, and I can now feel a couple of spots which I have missed in the final pass.
Nevertheless, I'm incredibly happy. If I can continue to get a decent shave after 2 passes I will be very happy indeed.

d378fca7a56438c870076b4485b4157f.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Lea Classic
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (3)
Splash: DR Harris Sandalwood

I switched back to the Sticky to see if the issue was a duff blade. Not so - the Sticky tamed the English Gillette beautifully. Three comfortable passes for DFS+. I clearly need some more practice with the Aristocrat.
Had some fun making a Lea Classic super lather - didn't notice any performance enhancement, but oodles of lather made life very easy.

Sunday 26 February 2017

eLru1MuDgc1ALlhkcPnmqvjkLXwKvXwd714hoJo-_y0KIc264Og_ffhgpclXuz99coJQJ0osTjWgCFrJODL04yaaGQGMO3bTOA=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

Mastro Livi Grifetto is an amazing straight razor and, in particular Grifetto 60, is really special. This straight razor celebrates sixty years of Mastro Livi dedicated to straight razor making, restoration and revaluation. It shaves very well giving a very smooth shave with no irritations of the skin. Grifetto is one of the many proofs of how Mastro Livi works stainless steel in making superb straight razors. For today's shave I used a couple of English products made by Truefitt & Hills and Geo F. Trumper. It was in fact quite a long time I was not using products from these two prestigious English companies.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Perugia Best Badger, Olive Handle, 24 mm Knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Geo F. Trumper Eucris Eau de Toilette

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW 'Bren' handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'M4' 1967 (2)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson 'M1'
Soap/Cream: Le Père Lucien Le Savon du Barbier
Aftershave: Le Père Lucien Lotion du Barbier

Ahh, LPL, no tallow in sight and still a great lather - who would have thought!

The NEW head on the 'Bren' handle really is a winning combination too - great stuff.

Happy shaves, happy days guys :)

PFJMEL1.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Simpson CH1
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Valobra Cologne
Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prairie Salve
Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prairie Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Gratiot League Square EDT

Enjoy your shaves :)

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 27 February 2017

Brush: - Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
Lather: - Stirling Baker Street Shaving Soap
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable
Blade: - Polsilver Super Iridium #4
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Sandalwood, Lime, Verbena (bois de santal citron vert verveine) Australian Private Reserve Aftershave

WOW!! :jawdrop::love: I really like the scent of Stirling Baker Street and thank goodness I'm reading the complete entire novel edition of Sherlock Holmes ebook, what a great combination with Stirling Baker Street and a novel of Sherlock Holmes :smuggrin::coffee:

Edit:- @todras (Dr Watson) do you think you can make a Baker Street aftershave??

Last edited:
Brush: - Semogue 1470 Boar
Lather: - Squadron Soap "The Warden"
Razor: - Gold Dollar straight, on loan courtesy of the @bald as collection.
Post Shave: - APR 'Suitable Attired Australian'

You know, for all I've heard about the Gold Dollar straight razors, it isn't too bad a razor honestly. It's not an art piece, it's a tool, and does exactly what it was intended to do.

Margaret River Olive Oil soap + Proraso Red Pre shave
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (5)
Proraso Red
Proraso Brush
Re-lather and cold rinse

WTG/ATG for a DFS+ but got a few weepers today - not sure what happened. Either I'm getting lazy or the Proraso Red lather was lacking something. I'm trying the Marco method on my croaps again and with a lot of swirling the lather does come good after starting off with a lot of bubbles. This is why I like shave sticks - a much quicker pathway to the same result! Now that I'm doing OK with the Feather (apart from this shave perhaps!) I need to get my lathering time down otherwise my week day shaves take too long. Creams and sticks are the easy solution but I still like my croaps so might have to leave them until the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.