Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a very Suitably Attired Australian to me :)

Congratulations!

If it's any consolation I spent the day hunched over Essential Oils, absolute powders, beakers, pestle and mortars and absolutes with my digital scales running hot. 5 hours later, 2 analgesics and a brace of a decent malt I am almost human again.

Glamorous bloody gig isn't it :D

Well we appreciate it!

You know when I first smelt SAA back whenever it was first released I was nonplussed. I had a sample of the balm so I kept using it at night. Over that time it grew on me and now it is firmly one of my favourites. Makes me think. Maybe when I get a new soap/splash and don't like it. I really should give it a good month or so and see what happens. Only thing is by then it's well used and resale not so good.

Anyway, Stirling effort on its concoction. I have to go and buy Creed now!

Looks like a very Suitably Attired Australian to me :)

Congratulations!

If it's any consolation I spent the day hunched over Essential Oils, absolute powders, beakers, pestle and mortars and absolutes with my digital scales running hot. 5 hours later, 2 analgesics and a brace of a decent malt I am almost human again.

Glamorous bloody gig isn't it :D

@todras - Your labours ( and you too @Sxot ) are greatly appreciated! [emoji106][emoji106]

You know when I first smelt SAA back whenever it was first released I was nonplussed. I had a sample of the balm so I kept using it at night. Over that time it grew on me and now it is firmly one of my favourites. Makes me think. Maybe when I get a new soap/splash and don't like it. I really should give it a good month or so and see what happens. Only thing is by then it's well used and resale not so good.

I think you have earned a typically long winded explanation based on my hours of reading on the chemical compounds contained in essential oils, their 'behaviour' and their use in perfumery. I will try and keep it concise and will omit the lengthy, complicated chemistry but I will require more than 1 or 2 forum sentences and a witty re-joinder, anyway I hope you and others find it interesting :)

You have articulated something very important and actually very interesting....your gradual 'liking' of this scent (obviously this does not uniformly apply to every perfume) correlates to the changing seasons and the corresponding weather i.e. the temperature in a broad sense. I do not in any way mean some kind of mystical woo woo crystal swinging tosh. I am talking of the chemistry and specifically the volatility of each individual oil in the fragrance and about the many compounds contained 'naturally' within each individual essential oil. Lots of essential oils in a fragrance can mean hundreds of compounds.

If you think about an individual essential oil such as Patchouli for example, that one essential oil in it's pure form is actually a perfume of it's own right - it contains a range of smells due to it having a range of naturally occurring compounds within it. Some of these compounds behave differently when heated, and differently again when it's too cool, but if the temperature is within a certain and fairly broad range they behave in a similar fashion in that they expire at a comparable rate which we call the individual note. It gets better though, much better - some of the most prized, scarce and expensive EO's are the most susceptible to this change due to the nature of their compounds, the volume of their compounds or a mixture of effects. Maybe that is why they smell so good ?

So, the APR mea culpa....

I released the first 8 or so APR scents in December, many of those scents had no place whatsoever being released or indeed used at that time of the year, in Australia (and particularly in FNQ/QLD) it is way to hot for most of the heavy oils. I am not at all surprised that you thought the SAA was a bit average, the Pork Chop received a deafening silence for the very same reason - too much heat liberated all the vetiver at the expense of the nuanced mid and top note design. Some smart campers jumped on it being perfume buffs and seasoned vets, most understandably did not. Lesson learned!

Suitably Attired Australian is built on a base of Indian Sandalwood, Ambergris and has middle notes of Violet, these are not oils that show their best features in hot weather. Some of the compounds in sandalwood and others in violet absolute essentially become invisible if it is too hot, they are still there but expire before you can appreciate them. A simple analogy: - like drinking warm beer vs cool beer but in a olfactory way if that makes any sense. The warm beer tastes revolting, chill it and it becomes Gods own nectar (and the smell changes).

I like your idea of giving new soaps and splashes a go over a duration of time too mate, sometimes letting them sit for a couple of months can mean a whole world of difference, not always, but often :)

Last edited:
bG5hNSS.jpg

Musgo Glyce
klenzo b985 romera
Timeless
Feather
Eufros GEA
APR The Mail

A very bright start to Sunday enjoying the clean mint notes in this muggy weather. Most decent, very proper. Enough said.

Enjoy your shaves folks :bear:

• Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
  • Soap: Mickey Lee Soapworks - The Kraken
  • Brush: Morris & Forndran 2XL Blonde Badger Fan
  • Strop: Kanayama (?)
  • Razor: Bengall 5/8"
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block, Speick A/S
Today's shave was a little harsh, probably due to a slightly heavy hand. Still, no irritation except a sting from the alum, and a BBS. Dollar for dollar Speick is easily the best splash going. It heals and protects my skin like nothing else. I have a feeling that I could drink it and it would do wonders.

IMG_1696_zpsdabqpbru.jpg

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade
Proraso Green
Proraso brush 27/60mm
Re-lather and cold rinse

Lovely BBS today. I really enjoyed this soap on this hot day. I got the water and lather just right and there was more slickness than I remember after loading a lot more. The eucalyptus feels very Australian. Eucalyptus oil intrigues me in a shaving soap as I used to make the stuff and it is usually classed as a skin irritant. However it must be fine in low doses as this was one of my best shaves. Proraso Green just took a step up in my estimation...

I think you have earned a typically long winded explanation based on my hours of reading on the chemical compounds contained in essential oils, their 'behaviour' and their use in perfumery. I will try and keep it concise and will omit the lengthy, complicated chemistry but I will require more than 1 or 2 forum sentences and a witty re-joinder, anyway I hope you and others find it interesting :)

You have articulated something very important and actually very interesting....your gradual 'liking' of this scent (obviously this does not uniformly apply to every perfume) correlates to the changing seasons and the corresponding weather i.e. the temperature in a broad sense. I do not in any way mean some kind of mystical woo woo crystal swinging tosh. I am talking of the chemistry and specifically the volatility of each individual oil in the fragrance and about the many compounds contained 'naturally' within each individual essential oil. Lots of essential oils in a fragrance can mean hundreds of compounds.

If you think about an individual essential oil such as Patchouli for example, that one essential oil in it's pure form is actually a perfume of it's own right - it contains a range of smells due to it having a range of naturally occurring compounds within it. Some of these compounds behave differently when heated, and differently again when it's too cool, but if the temperature is within a certain and fairly broad range they behave in a similar fashion in that they expire at a comparable rate which we call the individual note. It gets better though, much better - some of the most prized, scarce and expensive EO's are the most susceptible to this change due to the nature of their compounds, the volume of their compounds or a mixture of effects. Maybe that is why they smell so good ?

I released the first 8 or so APR scents in December, many of those scents had no place whatsoever being released or indeed used at that time of the year, in Australia (and particularly in FNQ/QLD) it is way to hot for most of the heavy oils. I am not at all surprised that you thought the SAA was a bit average, the Pork Chop received a deafening silence for the very same reason - too much heat liberated all the vetiver at the expense of the nuanced mid and top note design. Some smart campers jumped on it being perfume buffs and seasoned vets, most understandably did not. Lesson learned!

Suitably Attired Australian is built on a base of Indian Sandalwood, Ambergris and has middle notes of Violet, these are not oils that show their best features in hot weather. Some of the compounds in sandalwood and others in violet absolute essentially become invisible if it is too hot, they are still there but expire before you can appreciate them. A simple analogy: - like drinking warm beer vs cool beer but in a olfactory way if that makes any sense. The warm beer tastes revolting, chill it and it becomes Gods own nectar (and the smell changes).

I like your idea of giving new soaps and splashes a go over a duration of time too mate, sometimes letting them sit for a couple of months can mean a whole world of difference, not always, but often :)

So in 6months time I am going wonder what I ever saw in the fragrance? ;)

Great post @todras !

So in 6months time I am going wonder what I ever saw in the fragrance? ;)

I'm quietly hopeful that in six months time you will be onto the idea that there are fragrances that work in summer, fragrances that work in winter, and fragrances that work in the seasons in-between ;)

I'm quietly hopeful that in six months time you will be onto the idea that there are fragrances that work in summer, fragrances that work in winter, and fragrances that work in the seasons in-between ;)
I was actually discussing this with one of the ladies in the fragrance section of Myer today. She actually noted a distinct change in the way males are shopping colognes for a specific purpose or niche.

That being said, wasn't a fan of YSL La Nuit so still on a hunt for a Cardamom fragrance. Very tempted by JPG Le Male Essence EDP.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW 'Bren' handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'M4' 1967 (7)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in pure
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Aftershave

Afternoon shower, shampoo and shave after being away doing some REAL work at my FiLs all weekend, ahhh, I feel human again.

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: ATT Atlas (0.58 R Plate) & Perma-Sharp (2nd Shave)
Brush: TF Custom 26mm "Rusticated" Manchurian White
Soap: L&L "Harmony"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel
Aftershave/Cologne: L&L "Harmony"

Both brush and soap performed extremely well tonight with the soap providing a lovely thick and very slick lather. Scent is very reasonable and a fair amount of menthol feel from the soap too during the shave. Three pass shave WTG, XTG, ATG and a little touch up here and there. Lots of lather left so covered and rubbed it into my face and then cleaned up my gear before washing my face clean some minutes after. Post shave feel is great and a quick splash of aftershave which again has a fair amount of menthol feel and another very pleasant shave was had.
Enjoy the rest of your night lads !!
Cheers
Tony
rICmUtG.jpg

17ae30da1b648648051faad3b3650ee0.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,
Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Chromium (1)
EDT: Knize 10

Change of razor and blade tonight. Reliably excellent lather from the Phoenix and Beau soap.
Three passes and a wee clean up; not quite BBS, but didn't want to push it.
Knize 10 is a very unique take on a leather fragrance - dry, complex and very masculine. It pairs nicely with the P&B Spitfire scent.

Sunday 5 March 2017

aT6GKUTM5q2642ZAqUSoxpG9n6lgr2mR1X0YcUi8BHdGsgxZkBWa7YL3VacAoCpBqHbei1p6gv6kLdm47xmJEFrSsZafdtx7ZN8=w1366-h768-no

Mastro Livi ArtInox, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point

For my monthly trip I decided to take with me the latest Mastro Livi razor I added to my collection. This Mastro Livi Artinox gives a superb and smooth shave as well as having a beautiful look with its light stripes pattern. ArtInox it the name Mastro Livi gave to his artisan martensitic stainless damascus steel, a wonder he makes in his laboratory by combining different stainless steels all suited for hardening, therefore perfect for making a cutting edge. Yet another masterpiece from Mastro Livi proving his craftsmanship in working steels and, in particular, stainless steel as to be successful in making a artisan damascus steel completely made from martensitic stainless steels. I love this razor!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Aquagena
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi ArtInox, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Molton Brown Tobacco Shower Gel
Molton Brown Tobacco Deodorant
Woodhead Bowl