Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Snooze I have read further and it is estimated the lead oxide is about the same particle size as chrome oxide but provides all the qualities you listed. Not that I'm overly cautious but I've decided to store my lead oxide impregnated strop in a sealed plastic bag between uses.

http://straightrazorplace.com/strops/100119-any-info-griffon-strop-aide-see-pictures.html

This is a long post from other straight users over about a 2 year period of using lead on their strops. I found this one today.

Fascinating! Metals such as lead and mercury were used for many household and personal applications throughout history. Their use in such applications has significantly diminished due to modern concerns re toxicity.

Hi @Snooze I have read further and it is estimated the lead oxide is about the same particle size as chrome oxide but provides all the qualities you listed. Not that I'm overly cautious but I've decided to store my lead oxide impregnated strop in a sealed plastic bag between uses.

http://straightrazorplace.com/strops/100119-any-info-griffon-strop-aide-see-pictures.html

This is a long post from other straight users over about a 2 year period of using lead on their strops. I found this one today.
Very Interesting post - thanks @bald as ! Seems like lead used to be a common substance to add to the strops back in the day. Probably the more modern "oxide " pastes took over as concerns about lead absorption became an issue.

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: Timeless (0.68 Plate) & Voskhod (1st Shave)
Brush: TF Custom 26mm "Blue & Salmon" Synthetic
Soap: B&M "Night Music"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel
Aftershave/Cologne: B&M "Night Music"

Once I got my head around the dark coffee coloured soap with a lather coloured like Clay I was all good, but I used my synthetic just in case there was going to be any staining issues. The soap lathered nice and thick and performed very well. Heaps of protection and the slickness was great. The scent from the soap is very pleasant and reasonably strong as were the Aftershave and the tiniest of touches with the edt. I now have another favorite added to my ever growing list. sitting here typing my SOTD and just loving this scent, it really is something special.
Cheers all and have a great night.

idR9KyW.jpg

cjYAUlJ.jpg

March 7th, 2017

Razorock "Wunderbar"
Voskhod
Paladin "Chief"
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Frost Byte"

Great lather as expected from the PAA but the Voskhod didn't hold up on it's third outing unfortunately. The soap is peppermint and menthol and easily has more menthol than any other soap I have used to date. Enough to make the eyes water a little but not at all uncomfortable. The Frost Byte balm had very little menthol in it but is a top performer.

• Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
  • Soap: Stirling MITA
  • Brush: Paladin 28mm PK-47
  • Strop: Premier Strop Company Red Latigo
  • Razor: Herder 77 6/8"
  • Post-Shave: Myrsol Agua Limon
This Herder is such a comfortable shave. One of my favourites. I believe there was one for sale in the BST.

Acqua di Parma Essenza Gel Shampoo E Doccia
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere
Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Boar
Daishi Tamahagane
Acqua di Parma Essenza Balsamo Dopobarba
Acqua di Parma Essenza Edizione Speciale

29192a6321494a54f2899cd96b4fb7f8_zpsywjognc3.jpg

Verdi - Requiem - Dies Irae

Have a great day​

Very impressive kit mate BUT it is the music that inspires me (y)

Do you have a shaving playlist on an iPhone or a full sound system in the bathroom? How about matching the kit with the music? Are some razors a quick, upbeat jazz number and others a more laid back symphony? Do you time your shaves to the song?

I'm thinking that there is a whole new dimension to shaving about to open up. Must remember NOT to use the heavy metal matched razors for those 4:?? am shaves ...

Very impressive kit mate BUT it is the music that inspires me (y)

Do you have a shaving playlist on an iPhone or a full sound system in the bathroom? How about matching the kit with the music? Are some razors a quick, upbeat jazz number and others a more laid back symphony? Do you time your shaves to the song?

I'm thinking that there is a whole new dimension to shaving about to open up. Must remember NOT to use the heavy metal matched razors for those 4:?? am shaves ...

They are good questions Mark. I have an eclectic taste in music and listen to music all the time, far more than I watch TV.
Shaving for me is all about pleasure, feelings and emotions, that time alone, in my own room (we have separate bathrooms and NEVER go in each other's) surrounded by quality, even luxury items I suppose.
It is obviously subjective, but my chosen shaving products are all about the feelings they give me, be that their aesthetics, scent, feel. They have to work and work very well obviously, but there also has to be more. There's that many good products out there. Someone could give me a soap/cream/croap and tell me they are simply the best there's ever been, but pass it me in a generic plastic tub and Im not happy, particularly from 'artisans'. Why Inject your love, passion, time and energy into producing something you just then decant into generic plastic tubs? It doesn't make sense to me. There will be those who say it's all about performance, the product, the chemistry etc but if you went to a Michelin starred restaurant and they served you on paper plates with a spork...
So music, it's all about enhancing those good feelings already there or lifting your mood. Music envokes pleasurable memories, that may be certain people, places such as holidays, concerts or just moments in time that make you happy etc.
At the moment my music is played through my phone via AirPlay to a stand alone system. We are looking at moving and when we do I'll have system installed built in to the bathroom to simply AirPlay it. Products do play a part, beautiful Italian soaps, citrus and acquatics with some softer Italian classical music are probably my favourite. I shower, prep everything including anything between 3-5 pieces of music depending on length, start the music and pick up the blade, Sometimes I even stop just to listen to a certain passage or even belt out a chorus.
Music is the same as shaving tackle, it's varied and everyone is different, you just have to find what's best for you and enhances that pleasurable feeling, it may be none.

Enough waffle from me, everyone use whatever they like for whatever reason they like and use it often, never let anyone tell you any different.

72bbebde3a23b9d0b4427fcf5a8dc0b7.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Valobra Cologne
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Splash: Alt Innesbruck

Seems the ATT M2 with a modern Polsilver Super Iridium blade is a great match for my face. Very, very smooth! Lovely suds as always from Valobra, and the SOC Boar quickly loaded from the triple-milled puck.
Three passes for a DFS+; would love to say BBS, but I didn't do a clean up, and there were a couple of small spots where I could just feel resistance ATG.
Happy chappy indeed!

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW 'Bren' handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'M4' 1967 (10)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar
Soap/Cream: Le Père Lucien Le Savon du Barbier
Aftershave: Myrsol Formula k
Music: None

What a klutz!

Wife up early for a flight to SYD and I had the ensuite and surrounds to myself. The perfect time to follow @UKSteve's lead and improve the aural ambience of the shave and I didn't think about it :(

Oh well. maybe next time ...

My shave this morning:

Razorock Plissoft 26mm Monster
Super Speed/Astra day 2
Soap Smooth Frozen Cranberry S/S
Lucky Tiger A/S Cream
Reef Point Fougere Santal A/S Splash

This shave was in honour of my lovely wife Corinne who gave me this wonderful soap and aftershave as a gift last week. I had so much enjoyment lathering up with this soap and the cranberry/sangria scent came out right away. The lather was so rich and dense that I could have easily done five passes and the menthol effect was VERY strong. Skincare-wise, it's good that way as well. The Lucky Tiger a/s cream is very moisturizing and soothing with plenty of cooling to it, and the Fougere Santal aftershave from Reef Point has more of an Indian sandalwood scent than fougere, at least to my nose and it's also fairly cooling. Its scent to me is very exotic and nice. Corinne, ma cherie, je te remercie de tout mon coeur et je t'adore! (My wife and I are both Israeli but we are also very francophone and I wanted to say a few words of thanks to her!)

3cdzp05.jpg

Musgo Glyce
SJOL 26mm
Timeless
Feather
Chatillon Lux + T&S Yuzu, Rose, Patchouli
Chatillon Lux Yuzu, Rose, Patchouli Salve
Chatillon Lux Yuzu, Rose, Patchouli Aftershave
APR Lemon Party EDP

Very pleasing, enough said!

Enjoy your shaves chaps :pompous:

SOTD! 08/03/2017

Pre: Col.'s pre shave oil with teatree. covered with hot towel (seriously everyone needs to try this method its a life changer)

Brush: Muhle Vivo Badger brush (not sure of grade but it was expensive!)

Soap: Shaver Heaven- Fresh! (UNOBTAINIUM!!!!!)

Razor: Merkhur 23c (was my baby starter razor and i love her)

Blade: Feather stainless (hands down the best blades ever in my opinion, well in the 23c anyway)

Post: Thayers witchhazell with aloe aftershave (what else can i say, shits gewd!)

Balm: The stray whisker, After Balm with witchhazel and menthol (everyone needs this in their den)

The Is It Worth It Shave
20170308_065043.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic
Blade: Ted Pella Gem SE SS (2)
Soap: Smooth Operator Smoked Wood (first use)
Brush: TF Synthetic

Thoughts:
- I think I need to practice with the Micromatic during holidays. It's efficient but considerably harsher and more aggressive than my skin is used to. A few weepers but I actually look worse than that as I look in the mirror. It's clearly irritating my chin and neck the way I'm using it because I don't think I'm getting the angle right there as often as I should. It was purchased as a museum peice becayse of the nice box... And if I was around in the 30s and picking between the Gillette New and the Gem Prismatic, I know which one is smoother! Might move to display only until some holidays and I can look more chewed up.
- The Smooth Operator soap is really good and has a similar scent to K Shave Worx Major Wood (my current den fav) ... which was my prediction. Unfortunately it's a very slightly inferior product in terms of scent strength and glide. Slickness and cushion are excellent and I will try it again with a smoother razor to confirm my opinion. Lathers very quickly for how hard it is. The sticker won't last 3 shaves and is already bubbling up with the water.

1f9e85bc5fef0e31b32369e7227f64e1.jpg

Second use of the Sapone and heaps better this time. Used the RR Synth and was able to control the water much better, and this one doesn't take much water to deliver a slick voluminous lather. Definitely up there in quality and scent. The balm is a little thick for my skin, I much prefer thin oil based like Manuel's to the thick lotion ones. Sitting here now hours later, skin feels very soft, yet slightly oily. Not bad, just not my preference.

I also find myself missing the Timeless 95! Amazing to think how tentative I was before using it, but now miss the close and smooth shaves that came with it.

The Is It Worth It Shave
20170308_065043.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic
Blade: Ted Pella Gem SE SS (2)
Soap: Smooth Operator Smoked Wood (first use)
Brush: TF Synthetic

Thoughts:
- I think I need to practice with the Micromatic during holidays. It's efficient but considerably harsher and more aggressive than my skin is used to. A few weepers but I actually look worse than that as I look in the mirror. It's clearly irritating my chin and neck the way I'm using it because I don't think I'm getting the angle right there as often as I should. It was purchased as a museum peice becayse of the nice box... And if I was around in the 30s and picking between the Gillette New and the Gem Prismatic, I know which one is smoother! Might move to display only until some holidays and I can look more chewed up.
- The Smooth Operator soap is really good and has a similar scent to K Shave Worx Major Wood (my current den fav) ... which was my prediction. Unfortunately it's a very slightly inferior product in terms of scent strength and glide. Slickness and cushion are excellent and I will try it again with a smoother razor to confirm my opinion. Lathers very quickly for how hard it is. The sticker won't last 3 shaves and is already bubbling up with the water.

The Micromatic is acknowledged as the most aggro SE - so you are starting at the 'top' of the tree!

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: Timeless (0.68 Plate) & Voskhod (1st Shave)
Brush: TF Custom 26mm "Blue & Salmon" Synthetic
Soap: B&M "Night Music"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel
Aftershave/Cologne: B&M "Night Music"

Once I got my head around the dark coffee coloured soap with a lather coloured like Clay I was all good, but I used my synthetic just in case there was going to be any staining issues. The soap lathered nice and thick and performed very well. Heaps of protection and the slickness was great. The scent from the soap is very pleasant and reasonably strong as were the Aftershave and the tiniest of touches with the edt. I now have another favorite added to my ever growing list. sitting here typing my SOTD and just loving this scent, it really is something special.
Cheers all and have a great night.

idR9KyW.jpg

I couldn't stretch as far as the EDT. Besides, the Good Lady recently said "It smells like Poo. Do you really want to go around smelling like that? Someone will think you have just soiled our pants"! I don't care - I'll wear it anyway 'cause I reckon it's great.

Haha. Yep. It certainly is aggro. Good fun too but just hard for people who look at me at work today :)

Yeah, I find it very unforgiving, like the R41 2011. When you find the sweet spot you can get a really nice, close shave. The sweet spot is, however, fairly small and the price for a lack of concentration too high.

So I don't use my MMOC too much and passed on my R41.

Status
Not open for further replies.