Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Is It Worth It Shave
20170308_065043.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic
Blade: Ted Pella Gem SE SS (2)
Soap: Smooth Operator Smoked Wood (first use)
Brush: TF Synthetic

Thoughts:
- I think I need to practice with the Micromatic during holidays. It's efficient but considerably harsher and more aggressive than my skin is used to. A few weepers but I actually look worse than that as I look in the mirror. It's clearly irritating my chin and neck the way I'm using it because I don't think I'm getting the angle right there as often as I should. It was purchased as a museum peice becayse of the nice box... And if I was around in the 30s and picking between the Gillette New and the Gem Prismatic, I know which one is smoother! Might move to display only until some holidays and I can look more chewed up.
- The Smooth Operator soap is really good and has a similar scent to K Shave Worx Major Wood (my current den fav) ... which was my prediction. Unfortunately it's a very slightly inferior product in terms of scent strength and glide. Slickness and cushion are excellent and I will try it again with a smoother razor to confirm my opinion. Lathers very quickly for how hard it is. The sticker won't last 3 shaves and is already bubbling up with the water.

Hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs but some advice if I may;
Angle = Top plate against your face. It's designed that way, so the punters don't have to think about it. As soon as you lift the back of the plate off your skin, the angle is too high.
Pressure = absolutely none. Barely wipe the lather off.

HTH

I couldn't stretch as far as the EDT. Besides, the Good Lady recently said "It smells like Poo. Do you really want to go around smelling like that? Someone will think you have just soiled our pants"! I don't care - I'll wear it anyway 'cause I reckon it's great.

I certainly do not get a smell of Poo :eek: neither did my wife :D as a fantastic scent changing as time passes, i am loving it.

Shower
Feather AC DX non folding with Pro Super blade (12)
Shaver Heaven Juicy Fruit
Proraso brush
Re-lather, cold rinse, Witch Hazel

Went with the SH today to celebrate the return of SH to the market! Went the full 3 passes but still managed to miss a bit around my neck for a DFS. Not quite sure what happened. The lather was superb as usual... scent, not so much! Brush - fantastic!

e7240bZ.jpg

SOTD (8/3/2017)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Voskhod (1x)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap/Cream: RazoRock XXX
AS: Thayer's Cucumber/RazoRock XXX
Balm: RazoRock XXX
Fragrance: Acqua di Gio EDT

That is a XXXing great shave @walklikeaduck !
I know the XXX is less expensive soap but I think it is still pretty slick and the scent is not bad at all!

Hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs but some advice if I may;
Angle = Top plate against your face. It's designed that way, so the punters don't have to think about it. As soon as you lift the back of the plate off your skin, the angle is too high.
Pressure = absolutely none. Barely wipe the lather off.

HTH
Agree with @Sxot - fresh blade, make sure positioned against the blade stops and doesnt move when you close the top (yours looks fine in the picture) and NO pressure.

It is an aggressive razor thats for sure - I couldnt use it every day (and find very little regrowth after 12 -24 hours).

20170308_SOTD_S_zpsak0lujeq.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: LS 32 mm 2-band Finest
Lather: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Wonderful mid week shave with some superb Mike's lather (picture here) - I think I have still not fully loaded this Monster brush...

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: P&C Platypus
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Peppermint Plus
Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
Blade: GSB (7)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Floyd Vigoroso

Thought I had a great idea today in celebrating @Anthony returning. Seems I wasn't the only one! As always, the Shaver Heaven whipped up into a fantastic lather! Great shave finished off nicely with the Floyd.

Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Face Scrub
Semogue 830
Antica Barbieria Colla
Nichiri Pelican Strop
Hoshitombo 6000
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Balm
Acqua di Parma Leather Cologne Concentrée

4b22ff4ccf7c0443b37b9dc7c569253e_zps6kb6nqzx.jpg

Boccherini - String Quintet - Minuet

Have a great day​

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW 'Bren' handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'M4' 1967 (11)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Myrsol Metisol
Music: None

I figure if I keep noting the lack of music eventually I will remember to include some ...

kn5LiHz.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Gillette Slim
Feather
Eufros Fougère
Eufros Fougère Aftershave Balm
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger EDP

Excellent performance and scent, really could not wish for anything more today.

Have a bloody good day fellas :)

Their use in such applications has significantly diminished due to modern concerns re toxicity.

Because of your "metal" background I do hear what you are saying. I have also read that Chrome oxide that is used a lot by straight razor enthusiasts has its own toxic concerns.

Also @TomG I respect your opinion because of your classy Tesla avatar :)

Status
Not open for further replies.