Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW 'Bren' handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'M4' 1967 (14)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in pure
Soap/Cream:Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre shaving soap (Ver 1)
Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre Aftershave Balm
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre Aftershave Lotion
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre EDP

A certain theme to my shave this morning!

Went the whole hog with the APR and really enjoyed it! Not sure I will balm and lotion all the time but on special mornings maybe :)

Well done @todras

I have been eagerly anticipating the cooler weather so I can go all out on the GL along with all the other bright and autumnal Fougères and cool weather scents. I love this time of the year, it's cool enough to dig for the deeper scents but there is still the warmth that grants you the breadth with the brighter notes. That old adage about the lucky country certainly rings true :)

Yes you sure can man, it launches next week as a soap and a splash, but there is no time like the present :)

Mycroft brother of Sherlock, resident of one 221B Baker St as penned by Conan Doyle in his seminal
texts on the grand fictitious detective. His deeper thinking, more intelligent brother it is argued and we definitely
agree.

We have designed a stylish and exacting Autumnal scent with rich clear notes of Juniper resting
effortlessly on Bergamot and a dalliance of Jasmine Grandiflorium Absolute.

For the base we have engaged no less a solution of, the rich, infamously narcotic Labdanum as is truly fitting, a raw
raunchy, Animal Musk and the sweet intoxicating coumarin drenched Tonka Absolute.

A thoroughly intoxicating, sophisticated and effortlessly elegant fragrance for cooler times and
higher minds.

You will encounter the following notes and accords, but of course there exists the invisible hand ever present, revealed on application and through the passage of time...

Top Notes: Calabrian Bergamot, Jasmine Absolute
Heart Notes: Juniper
Base Notes: Labandum, Musk, Tonka, Vetiver
Thanks @todras . What a description, sounds intriguing!

I have been eagerly anticipating the cooler weather so I can go all out on the GL along with all the other bright and autumnal Fougères and cool weather scents. I love this time of the year, it's cool enough to dig for the deeper scents but there is still the warmth that grants you the breadth with the brighter notes. That old adage about the lucky country certainly rings true :)

A lucky country indeed, in so many ways ...

20170312_SOTD_S_zpsvmw6blcr.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Weber PH UFO Titan L
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Morris & Forndran Tigris
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Private Reserve Monsta Myrtle Balm​

Finally - it is cool and rainy - I absolutely love it! Slept like a baby and enjoyed a very lazy Sunday with a beautiful and long shave - the wonderful Stirling lather (picture here) definitely helped.

Enjoy your shaves (y)

Razor: Rockwell 6S #2
Blade: Vintage Polsi (4)
Brush: Shavemac 26mm 2-band
Lather: P&B Sanskrit
Post-shave: Thayers Medicated & Eufros Brisa

Mowed the yard and came back in for a shower/shave. Decided to give the P&B it's first real outing (did a palm lather just to get a measure for the water tolerance on Friday night). @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau mate, this stuff is sensational. I'll be doing up a review, but if I get results consistent with today's shave, it will be in my top 5. Initially I wasn't sure if the scent was for me, however the way it changes when lathered is awesome. The cardamom comes out and pepper gets subdued by everything else going on. You don't need as much water as some other soaps (B&M, Stirling) to get where you want to be with slickness and that creamy, yoghurty blob. Residual slickness, which I thought may be lacking from the palm lather, was there in spades, allowing touch ups where needed freely.

This would pair really nicely with YSL Le Nuit, JPG Le Male, L'Occitane Baux and other scents that have that spicy cardamom tone.

6wWKtCF.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime
Boots Manchurian*
Timeless
Feather
APR Suitably Attired Australian Soap
APR Suitably Attired Australian Aftershave
CL Gratiot League Square EDT

One of my favourite shaves, the Sunday shave with it's slow, relaxed and attendant reward. Attempted at ones own pace after coffee and breakfast, it is paced and ever so enjoyable. We have a young *Russian Blue kitten now, tiny little thing she is, suffice to say she is a jumper and I am glad the bathroom mat caught my trusty old SJOL 26mm or the shave would have taken a different tone this morning. Ever forward, broke out the boots which has seasoned nicely and set to the task at hand enjoying every moment of it, simple to load and simple to lather (see my review comments). The usual two passes then on with the splash and some Gratiot League Square EDT, I was going to use his salve too but really felt no need after the splash - still kicking myself for not formulating it much earlier, it's a whole new ballgame!

Enjoy your Sunday's gents, at a pace so befitting :bear:

Lather Shot

Cracking shave!

Second Efficacious But Disappointing Catie's Bubbles Shave
20170312_130712.jpg

Razor: Merkur Futur (4)
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: Carrie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Brush: TF Amber & Gold Synthetic

Thoughts..
- Grey rainy day in Perth and I thought I had the perfect soap. Nah. Catie's Bubbles won't be making a reappearance in the den because the two soaps I purchased direct have great technical performance but just not enough scent for my nose. I cannot think why I'd use them over my punchier offerings from K Shave Worx, OSP, TOBS, Razorock, Whispers, Squadron or PAA. I can at least say that I have tried the famous Chris Cullen's work. Obviously this is my faulty nose because others don't seem to have the same reaction and yes, this soap easily dealt with the risky Feather & Futur task. The soap is technically brilliant but is soulless without stink IMO.
- I'm happy with the Feather & Futur combo and it was easier on the second try today. Felt dangerous and was super smooth after two passes. Adore the efficency of this razor. I'll probably go back to a less sharp blade because I prefer daily shaves.
- General Ledger has grown on me till it's become my favourite AS. Just love it with menthol and will be getting the soap.

Last edited:
Razor: Rockwell 6S #2
Blade: Vintage Polsi (4)
Brush: Shavemac 26mm 2-band
Lather: P&B Sanskrit
Post-shave: Thayers Medicated & Eufros Brisa

Mowed the yard and came back in for a shower/shave. Decided to give the P&B it's first real outing (did a palm lather just to get a measure for the water tolerance on Friday night). @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau mate, this stuff is sensational. I'll be doing up a review, but if I get results consistent with today's shave, it will be in my top 5. Initially I wasn't sure if the scent was for me, however the way it changes when lathered is awesome. The cardamom comes out and pepper gets subdued by everything else going on. You don't need as much water as some other soaps (B&M, Stirling) to get where you want to be with slickness and that creamy, yoghurty blob. Residual slickness, which I thought may be lacking from the palm lather, was there in spades, allowing touch ups where needed freely.

This would pair really nicely with YSL Le Nuit, JPG Le Male, L'Occitane Baux and other scents that have that spicy cardamom tone.
Thanks @Korbz, glad you like it, buddy. We're always keen, not to mention grateful, for new reviews. Please let me know when yours is up and I'll also share it on our reviews page.

Best regards and happy shaving!

Kerry.

Sunday 12 March 2017

6RxH6Yys-tVe8UNNKxPXPd6LR_x8HMm2n4vdSuyu0GjPqfLSJhN3kR2PLEfhbw8AGK_f1ZllpB3-TXDoYCtwpTxtAUm2_9tbprE=w1366-h768-no

Getting Ready to Go Back Home

This month's trip ended and I am ready to go back home. Of course, before leaving, I shaved as usual and now it is the time to packing. In terms of shaving, this month's trip has been amazing and superlative thanks to the latest Mastro Livi ArtInox I added to my collection and that I took with me. It certainly was the best choice, always giving an impeccable and luxurious shave. For this shave I used the well known Omega 48 bristle brush along with Cella almond shaving cream and aftershave lotion, the same Mastro Livi is selling in his website offered with an elegant Grifetto shave set. In this shave I also used a new product a friend gave me: a beard balm made by Orthoestetica which I used as a post shave and proved to be as good as my usual olive oil. Ready to go now!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Cella Almond Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 48
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi ArtInox, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Orthoestetica Beard Balm
  • After Shave: Cella Aftershave Lotion

H69QW52.jpg

Musgo Glyce
M&F 3XL
Timeless
Feather
Australian Private Reserve - General Ledger
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave

A cracking start to the week, good shave, good lather and good fragrance!

Have a great day chaps:penguin:

2636eb6e0b5ea647045a433e728d5644.jpg

Cracking lather from the TTFC. Did 3 passes, but 2 of them were basically redundant after last nights shave. Scent on the Angel's share is a great match with the Rochas. Forgot to mention, the Lea balm is great as well. Little thicker than Eufros, but not by a heap, nice touch of menthol and dryer face feel after absorbed.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 13 March 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC Boar in Cherry Wood 24/55mm
Lather: - Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Razor: - Irving Barber Company (IBC) Shavette
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (Guard) #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Original Aftershave Splash / Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Simpson 'QEII Jubilee' limited edition 19/150
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau - Spitfire shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: B&M Kyovu
Cologne:
Phoenix & Beau - Spitfire solid cologne

First shave for me with the Jubilee, had to go 'All England', well as much as I could, I don't have an English aftershave :(

Great lather from the Jubilee and the Spitfire, just love this soap @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau and the cologne set it off nicely.

My only failure? My wife asked how the brush went, I replied that it showed me the 'performance features' missing from my vintage butterscotch rotation. I paused, hoping she hadn't noticed. She had :( 'Performance features, that sounds so ...' you can fill in the rest.

[I was thinking about the denseness of the knot and the face feel of the full yet soft brush - but it did sound just wrong ...]

Status
Not open for further replies.