zNEz0LM.jpg

AC/DC - The Razors Edge - Thunderstruck

Have a great day​

Nice post @UKSteve. AC/DC and a straight razor! Living dangerousy

Razor: Merkur futor chrome
Blade: polsilver
Brush: Wahl in best
Soap: shaver heaven bay rum

Received the Merkur in the mail yesterday so I was looking forward to getting up and having a enjoyable shave after the R41.

Worked great very comfortable on setting 3 and very efficient. Only issue I had was the chrome was extremely slippery, very limited grip.

I have to agree @Snooze the push button is a cool looking razor and I'm glad to have it. Unfortunately it is not the best shaver (for me). I see you were driving the Micromatic this morning. I rather like the look of them and have been keeping a look out for the bullet tip variety as they look nice, I gather they are just as aggressive hopefully not too much for me.

I have a 1912, at least I think that is what it is, British made with an aluminium handle, which I might try tomorrow. Hopefully it will rattle through the whiskers like the Junior

Interesting. I don't find the push button mild at all. The 1912 is the milder according to my face. The push button and the flat top heavy are the same to me. 1912 is my current favourite SE, as far as the shave goes anyway.

61OMdz7.jpg

Pre: Nil
Brush: M&F Moon Java Finest 2XL
Soap: APR - Mycroft
Blade: Parker 510

After a late night cooking soap I decided I needed to do some QA. Tick in that box. Might do some more tomorrow, and the day after that, and the one after that too. :D Another tick in the "great shave" box. Two passes for a DFS++ (WTG, ATG). I feel a bit awkward saying this since a vested interest in APR but indeed, the splash formulation is a big step forward in the skin food department. I had no qualms about the old formulation but indeed, @todras is not telling you porkies when he says "its a whole new ball game" post shave is lovely!

After a late night cooking soap I decided I needed to do some QA. Tick in that box. Might do some more tomorrow, and the day after that, and the one after that too.

Sounds good to me. :cigar:

Interesting. I don't find the push button mild at all. The 1912 is the milder according to my face. The push button and the flat top heavy are the same to me. 1912 is my current favourite SE, as far as the shave goes anyway.
Interesting indeed. It may be that the Push Button felt mild to me after using the Junior, which felt more aggressive. I think I will try out again tonight, though I did use it more than once, and see if it still seems mild to me, maybe do a direct comparison to the 1912, which seemed just right to me.
Good luck with the soap and the splash, guess you and @todras have been working pretty hard getting it all together. I'm looking forward to trying it out, I've read lots of good reviews of the samples.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 16 March 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Lather: - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: - Irving Barber Company (IBC) Shavette
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (Guard) #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Rochas Man EDT :love::love:

Great timing for the Aussie Post arrived at my front door just after lunch today with a nice big box because I'm going out tonight, I'm sooooo bloody glad and very please to see Rochas Man again after 9 years without my favorite fragrance since I couldn't get them in Australia in any retail store from Chemist Warehouse, David Jones & Myers etc etc. I love the smell of Rochas Man along with a very nice soft creamy vanilla, sandal, amber and the gourmand tone of coffee scent, WOW!! I can't believe how painful this was when I had my last bottle of Rochas Man back in mid 2007 and I had to choose Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT.

Anyway I'm so glad I've got my deepest favorite fragrance of Rochas Man again, thanks @Korbz for making my day very special tonight as the rotten weather doesn't bother me anymore because I'm going to smell bloody FANTASTIC again.

Last edited:
Interesting indeed. It may be that the Push Button felt mild to me after using the Junior, which felt more aggressive. I think I will try out again tonight, though I did use it more than once, and see if it still seems mild to me, maybe do a direct comparison to the 1912, which seemed just right to me.
Good luck with the soap and the splash, guess you and @todras have been working pretty hard getting it all together. I'm looking forward to trying it out, I've read lots of good reviews of the samples.

Maybe my memory fails me. I shall give it a run in the morning and let you know!

20170316_SOTD_S_zps6vno5tm1.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Platypus Prototype Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Wonderful shave today - sadly this Mystic Water is empty as well, after 18 glorious lathers (last picture here).

As I have only one MW left, and that one has at the most 3 shaves in it: where are my APR soaps @todras and @Sxot ;)

The brush is still getting better, I really dig this knot - have a great evening everyone (y)

Last edited:

I agree @Sticky - I think the GEM Junior and the 1912 are identical, just different handles ie the heads are the same.

I must say I get excellent shaves with my 1912 and also the MMOC (Micromatic open comb) - I prefer the 1912. I just cant say the same for the GBar (Heavy Flat Top) or PushButton or ClogProof GEMS. They just seem a bit too mild compared to the 1912 and dont seem to provide the super smooth finish that the 1912 or MMOC does in my hands. I have only tried one or two of each and I guess with a razor this old, a little knock out of alignment of a blade stop or slight change to the angle can change the whole feel of the shave.
But overall the GEM SE's (and related razors) are wonderful shavers !

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 16 March 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Lather: - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: - Irving Barber Company (IBC) Shavette
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (Guard) #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Rochas Man EDT :love::love:

Great timing for the Aussie Post arrived at my front door just after lunch today with a nice big box because I'm going out tonight, I'm sooooo bloody glad and very please to see Rochas Man again after 9 years without my favorite fragrance since I couldn't get them in Australia in any retail store from Chemist Warehouse, David Jones & Myers etc etc. I love the smell of Rochas Man along with a very nice soft creamy vanilla, sandal, amber and the gourmand tone of coffee scent, WOW!! I can't believe how painful this was when I had my last bottle of Rochas Man back in mid 2007 and I had to choose Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT.

Anyway I'm so glad I've got my deepest favorite fragrance of Rochas Man again, thanks @Korbz for making my day very special tonight as the rotten weather doesn't bother me anymore because I'm going to smell bloody FANTASTIC again.

That FANTASTIC smell is the smell of your SABBATICAL going up in smoke @SpeedyPC :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

8726548ec7bf27d4d6b845d711cb0587.jpg

Brush: M&F L7 Finest
Razor: Weber
Blade: Wilkinson Super
Soap: OSP Bay Rum
A/S: Wahl Bay Rum

Just a lovely shave today. Great lather as always from the OSP soap, the Weber was its usual perfect self and the brush is simply magnificent. Perfect knot shape, excellent softness and good backbone. Nearly as good as my M7.

That FANTASTIC smell is the smell of your SABBATICAL going up in smoke @SpeedyPC :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mine did last year for a vintage butterscotch Wee Scott, 2016 Sabbatical Thread -

24738423545_971a03d862_z.jpg

Turns out I also got the Darwin I'd been dreaming about and listed as a potential sabbatical exception as well. Only the butterscotch Chubby 1 to go :)

Sometimes sabbaticals HAVE to be broken - wear your banner with pride @SpeedyPC - go your hardest @Monsta_AU !

@Snooze who cares you'll have to understand how a man feels deep down about his most favorite fragrance of Rochas Man, ask yourself this question which is more important his most favorite fragrance came back from the dead after 9 years of pain or his Sabbatical 2017 banner is far more important for @Monsta_AU

Sometimes sabbaticals HAVE to be broken - wear your banner with pride @SpeedyPC - go your hardest @Monsta_AU !

@Mark1966 you and I should have a very long drink ;)

Edit:- I'm off see ya, MAN!! do I smell BLOODY FANTASTIC :D:):whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.