Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday 16 March 2017

XO8S8Ra7lpIWvV3eIUBMlRTVr4hMFOg2IKvkOSkMoMd85Jn_-IH-Jav3BDKIh66QRBUn1xh73FyenRPPfkFswT99nMXe0B6iOA=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi CarboInox Kamisori, 7/8

In my collection I have many kamisori razors, both traditional ones made in Japan - and all of them being "vintage" - as well as modern ones, most of them being made by Mastro Livi. It has been quite a long time since the last time I used a kamisori, so today I opted for this breathtaking Mastro Livi CarboInox kamisori. It is a 7/8 blade with a mesmerizing Mastro Livi twisted carbon damascus steel in the middle layer, wonderfully making a perfect match with the shiny stainless steel outer layers. A super performing shaver, this Mastro Livi kamisori gives a very very close shave while delivering a lovely smooth sensation on the skin. Not to mention the superlative performance of Mastro Livi "Pennello Italiano" shave brush, a super silvertip badger brush having a handle made of five different woods and an insert made of semi-precious stones with the colors of the Italian flag. The soap did a magnificent job - Saponeria Artigiana is, in my opinion, one of the best Italian shaving soaps - which found in Pinaud Clubman Classic aftershave a great companion. Superb shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Saponeria Artigiana Almond Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox Kamisori, 7/8
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (5)
Brush: Simpson 'QEII Jubilee' limited edition 19/150
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau - Baskerville Shaving Soap
Aftershave Splash: APR - Lavende Violette

Only one more sleep Sydney folk - Sydney Meetup - Saturday March 18th - 1.30pm - 3.30pm

Oh, the South Australians have to wait TWO sleeps, The Bi-weekly Adelaide get together, but they are used to that, being behind everyone else that is :whistle:

O7GC77J.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Doug Korn D7
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger Soap
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger Aftershave

Another cool day and perfect for the GL combo, a great two passes then on with the aftershave. Very nice and very pleased with the results.

Have a great day gents :bear:

17311176_1487135034632263_5564607051318585436_o.jpg

Razor: Gem, Push Button
Blade: Gem ss
Brush: Vie-Long, Horse, (50/50)
Soap: Stirling, MITA

I tried out the Gem Push Button again today to see how it compares to the 1912. A mild but pleasant shave.

First time using this brush. I have to say I was impressed. I have been trying to use the Merkur Man method on the puck using the synthetic Maggard. Although the synthetic lathers quickly (too quickly?) it didn't give me the shiny silky lather I see on the lather shots. New smaller brush and watched the video again. A bit more patience and technique and a vast improvement. I don't wish to make any false claims for this $16 brush or for horse hair, I know you guys are getting as good and better lather with a variety of great brushes, but for me it is a big step up. Both in glide and slickness. Beats my synthetic and the boar.

Have a great day

Maybe my memory fails me. I shall give it a run in the morning and let you know!
I tried out the Push button again and to me it still seems the milder of the SEs I have tried. I put the blade in the Featherweight too to compare and that seemed slightly less mild, which is surprising as the head design (apart from the closing mechanism) looks identical, could be an illusion? I also tried the 1912 which seemed less mild and then the Junior which seemed slightly more aggressive, again surprising as the heads are very similar, another illusion? But I think I agree with you and @Snooze that the 1912 is the sweet spot, though there are many I have yet to try including the MM. I make no claims to any expertise as I'm pretty new to the SE. Just enjoying the comparisons and interested to hear what you think.

17311176_1487135034632263_5564607051318585436_o.jpg

Razor: Gem, Push Button
Blade: Gem ss
Brush: Vie-Long, Horse, (50/50)
Soap: Stirling, MITA

I tried out the Gem Push Button again today to see how it compares to the 1912. A mild but pleasant shave.

First time using this brush. I have to say I was impressed. I have been trying to use the Merkur Man method on the puck using the synthetic Maggard. Although the synthetic lathers quickly (too quickly?) it didn't give me the shiny silky lather I see on the lather shots. New smaller brush and watched the video again. A bit more patience and technique and a vast improvement. I don't wish to make any false claims for this $16 brush or for horse hair, I know you guys are getting as good and better lather with a variety of great brushes, but for me it is a big step up. Both in glide and slickness. Beats my synthetic and the boar.

Have a great day
Nice shave @Sticky ! I have a Vie Long horsehair brush and am very impressed with the backbone and slightly scrubby tips - great value for money!

I tried out the Push button again and to me it still seems the milder of the SEs I have tried. I put the blade in the Featherweight too to compare and that seemed slightly less mild, which is surprising as the head design (apart from the closing mechanism) looks identical, could be an illusion? I also tried the 1912 which seemed less mild and then the Junior which seemed slightly more aggressive, again surprising as the heads are very similar, another illusion? But I think I agree with you and @Snooze that the 1912 is the sweet spot, though there are many I have yet to try including the MM. I make no claims to any expertise as I'm pretty new to the SE. Just enjoying the comparisons and interested to hear what you think.
Yes @Sticky - the heads look very similar yet the shave can seem slightly different with the GEMs. I think the 1912 is a great compromise between aggressive and smooth!

https://flic.kr/p/RJuiQU

Yes @Sticky - the heads look very similar yet the shave can seem slightly different with the GEMs. I think the 1912 is a great compromise between aggressive and smooth!

I think we can agree the 1912 is a great razor and your example is a little bit greater than most!

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: ATT (R Plate) & Voskhod (3rd Shave)
Brush: TF Custom "Rusticated" 26mm Manchurian fan
Soap: BW "Black Beard"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel, TSW Balm.
Aftershave/Cologne: BW "Black Beard

Another great shave tonight and a nice fresh fragrance to end the week and to get ready for the weekend ahead, Have a great weekend chaps !!

BEbnJsj.jpg

GEM Pushbutton
GEM coated blade
Night Music Soap and Splash

Night Music Soap - $40
Night Music Splash - $40
Face the wife pulls when she goes in for a kiss only to discover I'm wearing Night Music - Priceless.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of that.

I ran the push button today. I think you are right. It is milder that the Flat heavy (and so the feather). 1912 is both more efficient and smoother I agree. Really want the MM to be favourite but it's too much for me but maybe I need to work on it more (shouldn't have to though). Have to try a bullet tip next.

e6eb17440ab0822c21d37125120d7b4c.jpg

Brush: Simpsons M7 Manchurian
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Wilkinson Super
Cream: Occams Original
A/S: Floid Vigoroso

Hmmm, nice looking Weber PH!

Yet Another Peppermint Shave
20170316_061234.jpg

Pre: Shower with OSP Lemon & Peppermint Bath Soap (first use)
Razor: Gillette New on Stray Whisker handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless NOS (2)
Soap: OSP Peppermint & Rosemary (first use)
Brush: TF Amber & Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...
- I'm a peppermint head and OSP's Lemon & Peppermint bath soap cannot possibly compete with my Original Source XXX Shower Gel for a wake-up call. Scent is 90% lemon and 10% peppermint. It is, however, pleasant and lathers very easily. I love peppermint not just for its scent but I have rather oily skin that needs to be striped back now and then :) That makes me one of only a few shavers here that avoid non-alcoholic balms or tonics unless I've done something dreadfully wrong during the shave. I want my products to strip me of oil. The bath soap did this with ease and the scent of this is nice but not peppermint enough to be a daily product. What I will do is dry it out and put it back in the box; I'll take it to Melbourne with me when I go there in a few weeks on a work trip because shower gels leak.
- Now it's a totally different kettle of wish when it comes to the shaving soap which is clearly WONDERFUL. Nice peppermint burst, nice cooling burst, and a wonderful rosemary twist. I really like OSP as a face latherer soap and it worked flawlessly again. Great cushion, glide and slickness. Scent strength of a 6 from the tub and face. Very happy indeed and it will be a keeper for warmer days. Does it pip K Shave Worx Major Wood? No. That is perfection for me and my skin. This is damn close to perfection.
- I've decided to spend a few weeks with my New and try some new blades in it just to check what I think now I'm more experienced. As iLather's Chris says - many of us make up our minds about blades when we're really inexperienced shavers. This will be fun.

Indeed it is. Many thanks again.

No worries at all and no need to thank me, it was a sale!

Every time I see you use it in a SOTD though I get vicarious enjoyment - it gets far more use with you than it did me with, and deserves to be used often :)

Makes me a happy camper when I see it in your SOTD pics

Status
Not open for further replies.