Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Menthol experiment. After the gathering today I melted (just enough to blend) a batch that has my normal amount of Lemon myrtle and added a significant addition of Menthol. Stuck it in the freezer and used it tonight.
As I said earlier, if I don't react badly to Menthol it will be in all my soaps no matter what the weather.

The combination of Lemon myrtle and menthol is cooling and warming all at the same time. :)
Just a single pass but still a very satisfactory straight razor shave.

Sunday 19 March 2017

1a2rAEN6kmzFPJYvNvIF4urAdT1Kxz2D_fp12ekLevTJQGsnKVRg6pp3J-YwJKkQu1RZh9nyvJx6_TqRdnPkCb-ALTYGOot9Ow=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi "The Last Classic", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point

I am very proud for being the owner of this Mastro Livi razor. Although I am proud of every Mastro Livi razor I own, this one certainly is a very special one. It is the last straight razor made by Mastro Livi using the worldwide famous "new grind" blades of which I made a video showing the making of this masterpiece. This was the very last razor made with such blades and, as such, I wanted very special and exclusive scales. I remember it has been very hard to make that choice and, at the end, I opted for natural buckeye burl with silver nickel inserts and three dots made of three different mother of pearl types. I think it is a great razor to celebrate the end of that amazing story in which Mastro Livi brought back to life a stock of old razor blades and forgotten for a very long time. An important story part of the Italian straight razor making history.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Perugia Eco-Silvertip, Stabilized Poplar, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last Classic", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Old Spice Original

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (7)
Brush: Simpson 'QEII Jubilee' limited edition 19/150
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve Mycroft shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve Mycroft aftershave lotion

Well, kudos again to @todras for another wonderful, complex scent and, on first impressions, huge kudos to @Sxot on what seems to be a pretty top shelf soap!

Last edited:
Lfddy4T.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Hofritz 103
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
L&L Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Soap
L&L Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
L&L Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave

The perfect scent for the weather, this soap never fails to deliver. A great start to the week.

Have a good day gents, enjoy your shaves :)

Woody Blade Review 2
20170320_055955.jpg

Pre: Shower with Klar Bath Soap
Razor: Gillette New with Stray Whisker handle
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Soap: K Shave Worx Major Wood
Brush: TF Amber and Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...
- Klar is a nice gentle soap with impressive lather. Not a strong scent.
- The Bic blade is one I couldn't stand early on. I have no problems with it now but it's not as smooth for me as the Personna or any of my goto blades like Shark, Gillette Greens or Perma-Sharp. I put this down to it perhaps not being as sharp and having 2 days growth. The Bic is certainly nowhere near as bad as I had said before I had technique down.

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: ATT (R Plate) & Voskhod (4th Shave)
Brush: TF Custom "Ice Fusion" 26mm High Mountain White
Soap: T+S "Rainforest"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel, TSW Balm.
Aftershave/Cologne: T+S "Rainforest"

Had a bugger of a night last night in so much pain hardly any sleep and again today with my rheumatoid arthritis playing up something shocking. However as the day slowly started to disappear so did the pain so I am feeling pretty good again. So on with the shave. Last outing with this soap splash combo was a little bit disappointing however I think it was just me as this time around it was quite refreshing and performed very well. The wife also entered the bathroom "how dare she during shave time" and said oh what one is that I could smell it through in the lounge and it smells nice !! :D So it must be alright ;)
Lovely shave, the brush is blooming out a little better than it has in the past and it did feel better for it as this knot was tending to hold onto the lather a little. But there was no shortage of lather tonight.
That's it for tonight lads and have a great week !!
Cheers
Tony

gd6yhOj.jpg
That brush is amazing Tony - mesmerising if you stare too deeply - must look great in person...now that my sabbatical is over ...(y)

That soap / scent ingredients looks like they grabbed everything on the shelf and checked it in there!!! But if the wife likes it ...winner!
Hope the arthritis improves mate
:)

That brush is amazing Tony - mesmerising if you stare too deeply - must look great in person...now that my sabbatical is over ...(y)

That soap / scent ingredients looks like they grabbed everything on the shelf and checked it in there!!! But if the wife likes it ...winner!
Hope the arthritis improves mate
:)
Thanks @Snooze the funny thing is I do not find the scent too much or overpowering. Maybe Im losing my sense of smell too. I bloody hope not though :eek:

The Sea monkeys are the Calendula flower extract, with Calendula you get the immediate availability of the compounds then the slow release from the remaining extract therefore I leave it in solution. Shaking is an absolute must, with any EO based aftershave!

If it is what I think @Monsta_AU is claiming you can take a WHOLE lot - but I do expect something VERY special in return ...

Always with the something in return....

True Story;
An old bloke knocked on my door this morning. I asked how I could help. He pointed to my overgrown lawn (I've been busy!) and asked if I would like it mown. I replied "Certainly. Now?" He is coming back this arvo. What's the bet he isn't just a generous soul and wants something in return? Not sure what it could be though.

Last edited:
iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 20 March 2017

Brush: - Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
Lather: - Squadron Soap - The Warden (pinch a sample from my brother shaving Den)
Bowl: - Omega Via Barberia Ceramic Shaving Bowl
Razor: - Irving Barber Company (IBC) Shavette
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (Guard) #5
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Master's Topaz Aftershave Lotion

The Squadron Soap made by @SchoolForAnts called 'The Warden' it smell soft and sweet as I'm unable to pin-point the type of scent, I can smell vetiver and tobacco which is pretty strong soft relaxing smell to my nose very much like a candy bar or bubble gum flavor. The lather was FANTASTIC! I mean it was thick and very creamy without any issue the soap is fantastic, but not the small round thick tin because I wasn't aware the top lid is not screwed and I was having some minor trouble loading the brush straight from the tin because is not big enough so I had to pinch a small amount of soap into my Omega Via Barberia veramic shaving bowl.

@SchoolForAnts are you planning to used a bigger soap container with a screw lid about 100mm diameter x 40mm thick would be a great idea, because there are wet shavers who has got bigger brushes can be a problem and for those who got a 24mm fan knot that bloom pretty wide can become a real pain in the butt. I don't use a bowl very often as I just load the brush and face lather all time, sometimes I use a bowl is when I'm too tired to face lather when I need a shave so as I said your soap is fantastic and the scent is soft and sweet very relaxing smell.

20170320_SOTD_S_zpsm6eftdv8.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V Romera Manchurian
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Great shave to start the week - including some pretty stellar lather (picture here) - for all of you who know, happy new year - for all others hope you had a great start into the new week (y)

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: Timeless (0.68) & Voskhod (5th Shave)
Brush: TF Custom "Rainbow Falls" 24mm 2 Band Finest
Soap: BW "Aladdin's Spice"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel.
Aftershave/Cologne: BW "Aladdin's Spice"

Hot sticky and very wet day here today, but a lot cooler now. So I decided to crack the Beaver Woodright out tonight and had a marvelous shave.
Cheers
Tony
3OLnIG8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.