Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preshave: Hot water splash, Shave Oil
Razor/Blade: ATT Atlas, R Plate(0.58) & Voskhod (6th Shave)
Brush: TF Custom "Ice Fusion" 26mm HMW
Soap: Squadron Soap "Spitfire" Lather Shot here
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel.
Aftershave/Cologne: Squadron Soap "Spitfire"

My face was a little dryer tonight than normal so used a little pre shave oil to soften prior to my shave. A little warm water onto the soap brush soaked for a few minutes in warm water and we were right to go. Very short load time but OMG how much lather did it make in the bowl. The lather was nice and thick and very protective so much so I went with a 3 pass and ended up doing a touch up 4th pass and still no irritation and to be honest I just could not waste the lather !! there was at least enough for another two passes I reckon so hand face lather was then in order.
A little Bloc some witch Hazel and a little TSW Balm and I was a very happy man.
Have a good night Gents and enjoy the rest of your week.
Cheers
Tony

EYt1w0S.jpg

Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
Soap: Prorasso Green
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Green (1)
Post-Shave: Alum / Pinaud Clubman / Nivea Post-Shave Balm

With a new blade installed, the EJ Kelvin razor provided a nearly bbs shave.

(Coming soon in rotation: A long-time favorite, the Gillette Slim Adjustable razor. This is a razor I first used in 1965. I would proceed to rotate two of these excellent razors (purchased brand new @$1.75) for the next twenty years (beginning by using the original and very sharp carbon steel Gillette Blue blade).

Preshave: Hot water splash, Shave Oil
Razor/Blade: ATT Atlas, R Plate(0.58) & Voskhod (6th Shave)
Brush: TF Custom "Ice Fusion" 26mm HMW
Soap: Squadron Soap "Spitfire" Lather Shot here
Post shave: Hot water splash, Bloc D' Alun, Cold Water Splash, Thayers Witch Hazel.
Aftershave/Cologne: Squadron Soap "Spitfire"

My face was a little dryer tonight than normal so used a little pre shave oil to soften prior to my shave. A little warm water onto the soap brush soaked for a few minutes in warm water and we were right to go. Very short load time but OMG how much lather did it make in the bowl. The lather was nice and thick and very protective so much so I went with a 3 pass and ended up doing a touch up 4th pass and still no irritation and to be honest I just could not waste the lather !! there was at least enough for another two passes I reckon so hand face lather was then in order.
A little Bloc some witch Hazel and a little TSW Balm and I was a very happy man.
Have a good night Gents and enjoy the rest of your week.
Cheers
Tony

EYt1w0S.jpg
If you have some time, could you please compare your 2 Timeless plates with the R1 ATT?

lRGUvSp.jpg

Occams Lime
Boots Manchurian
Timeless
Feather
Valobra Fougère
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender Salve
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDT

Another day, another superb lather. Two passes then on with the Unconditional Surrender, a perfect cool weather fragrance.

Have a great day, enjoy your shaves! :pompous:

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (10)
Brush: Simpson 'QEII Jubilee' limited edition 19/150
Soap/Cream: TOSP Babershop
Aftershave Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood

Escaped from my Mycroft myopia to something different today - happy shaving guys!

Country Club "Bay Rum" soap
Thayer 4125

GEM 1912 with GEM SS blade #11
Beaver Woodwright 'Captain Scurvey"

I received this Bay Rum soap in a bunch of soaps I purchased a while ago from a US forum member. Its made by Country Club in Alabama. I know right, never heard of them. They have a website with a few soaps but the Bay Rum is no longer listed.

Anyway, its a tallow soap and a very nice, straightforward Bay Rum scent (no fancy pants lime, sandalwood, black tea, vanilla etc for these guys). Decent protective tallow lather whipped up by the dense Thater badger brush.

Smooth tri-pass shave from the GEM with blade on #11 and still going strong. I can't believe it - I am actually saving money by wet-shaving!!!

Nice finish with the 'Captain Scurvey' which is quite sweet vanilla-ish with a whack of lime.

Enjoy your shaves and the day ahead you bunch of dead-set legends :)

Smooth tri-pass shave from the GEM with blade on #11 and still going strong. I can't believe it - I am actually saving money by wet-shaving!!!

Great to see you are enjoying the 1912. It is a great razor. I can recommend the 1919 and the Bullet tip as excellent stepping stones on your continuing journey with SE's. They are still mild for an SE but very efficient.

cc25543dc49780edd45310d5e8a79088.jpg

My last two shaves have been with this soap and aftershave. The performance of both are outstanding. I really like the scent as well.

@todras you have done a fantastic job with both the soap and aftershave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @SydBJW I am glad you are enjoying them, I make the fragrances and the aftershave and @Sxot cooks the soap - and a damm fine job of it he did too :)

Thursday 23 March 2017

cgjdV6IYtMOhUiv4DthqOzN4ALXBm5cbFFDtBiRSxhwAL_XalCZyj3e7rt_NABj5zWeOIaQ-SUJTd7dqNxK9XwfgnsAFLIOO6bE=w1920-h1080-no

Happy Birthday Mastro Livi!

Happy Birthday Mastro Livi! I want to dedicate today's shave to Mastro Livi who turns 76 today. Seventy-one years dedicated to cutlery and cutting tools, sixty-two years committed with passion to straight razor making and maintenance. I want to send my wishes to a dear friend and a real Master, to the most incredible artisan and straight razor maker I have ever known, the one who has taught me an incredible amount of shaving and straight razor things, the one who has changed my knowledge and approach both about shaving and straight razor maintenance. It has been four incredible years in which everything in my shaving habits have changed and changed forever for the better. Today is Mastro Livi's birthday and I am glad to see he is celebrating his special day with all of his clients by offering a very special discount on the e-shop available at his website. A lovely way to celebrate all together. Happy birthday Mastro Livi! May today be a happy day for you with many more to come. Thank you, Maestro!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Simpsons Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Club Super Silvertip Badger, Poplar, Black Ebony and Lapis lazuli Handle, 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox, 8/8 Extra Full Hollow, Irish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Soap: Proraso Green
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Green (2)

Using the Gillette 7 o'clock Green for the 2nd day, a virtually bbs shave was obtained. (A post-shave inspection using a new 3X mirror revealed nary a whisker.) This is a sharp blade that challenges the top performance of the Gillette Silver Blue (YMMV). In a 2-pass shave, even the stubble on my chin, it the equal of tiny copper wire, was smoothly smitten. This is a rarity.

The EJ Kelvin is a mild razor with the EJ head and a knurled handle. It very much resembles the 34C in size and appearance, and the two may easily be confused at first glance. The handle of the EJ Kelvin is actually slightly larger in diameter than that of the 34C (though equal in length).

p.s. I would post a photo of the two razors but my iPad does not seem to allow it.

Just gotten into wet shaving in the past couple of months. The 6s is high up on my list! Loving the reviews on it

@Spencer Frankel start saving your money and you've got plenty of time to grab the Rockwell 6s, 6c and maybe you'll be interested in the Rockwell Model T, remember you've got plenty of time don't rush ;)(y)

Soap: Proraso Green
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Green (2)

Using the Gillette 7 o'clock Green for the 2nd day, a virtually bbs shave was obtained. (A post-shave inspection using a new 3X mirror revealed nary a whisker.) This is a sharp blade that challenges the top performance of the Gillette Silver Blue (YMMV). In a 2-pass shave, even the stubble on my chin, it the equal of tiny copper wire, was smoothly smitten. This is a rarity.

The EJ Kelvin is a mild razor with the EJ head and a knurled handle. It very much resembles the 34C in size and appearance, and the two may easily be confused at first glance. The handle of the EJ Kelvin is actually slightly larger in diameter than that of the 34C (though equal in length).

p.s. I would post a photo of the two razors but my iPad does not seem to allow it.
In love with the Gillette 7 o'clock green. Such a smooth yet reassuringly sharp blade. Even on my sensitive skin it's easy to use. Btw how Kickass is pinaud clubman ;)

@Spencer Frankel start saving your money and you've got plenty of time to grab the Rockwell 6s, 6c and maybe you'll be interested in the Rockwell Model T, remember you've got plenty of time don't rush ;)(y)
When does the model T come out? And haha I rush all my purchases. Just impulse bought that new Proraso scent (cypress and vetiver) from gifts & care :') I'm an addict now

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (11)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar
Soap/Cream: TOSP Babershop
Aftershave Splash: Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget aftershave

Ahhh....

JNIs6AY.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Hoffritz 103
Timeless
Feather
Australian Private Reserve Mycroft
Australian Private Reserve Mycroft Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve Mycroft EDP

A pleasing shave for a very busy Friday, the perfect fragrance for a cooler day.

Enjoy your shaves gents! :bear:

Status
Not open for further replies.