Not open for further replies.
Manly Shave
20170324_051808.jpg

Razor: Colonial General with Windrose handle
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Soap: APR Mycroft (first use)
Brush: TF Amber and Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...

- When @todras suggested I would like Mycroft I had no hestitation in adding it to my order. He gets me. This is a BEAUTIFUL, refined, manly tobacco scent and... despite the fact I don't smoke and never really have... I adore tobacco in AS and EDT products. It has an excellent strength in both the tub (6) and the AS. It also pairs closely with Dunhill Edition which I've recommended to people for ages - it's a very affordable, long lasting tobacco EDT. I smell like Sherlock's living room and I am a happy man.
- Soap performance is excellent for cushion, glide and slickness once I got my lather right. I tried to face lather but gave it up during the second pass and went back to the lather bowl with a fresh load. I'm clearly far better in the bowl and got a great lather so I don't put down my early naff lather to anything other than poor technique. Note that the soap does have a tallow funk when first opened but I left it open on the sink while I showered and most of that had gone. The funk level is the same as Phoenix and Beau if that helps. Please note that tallow smell doesn't worry me with scent profiles like this at all but some people may not like that.
- The General continues to shine with a 3 pass BBS shave - no pickups needed! I wonder how many shaves I can get out of artisan club blades? It's still going strong after 3 which is not something the double edge Feathers could do for me.
- Congratulations to @todras and @Sxot for creating outstanding products. This pair is a triumph and word from the great man is that Mycroft is selling out. Do yourself a favour, punters.

Last edited:
Timeless 68
Blackship Davy Jones
Vintage PolSi
RR Mobster synth

Second shave with the timeless and not getting along with it. Much more blade feel than the 95 timeless I borrowed from Tony. Not sure if that is because his 95 is unmarked and the V1 heads may have different geometry? May have to move on for an ATT if I like that one after trial.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 24 March 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Squadron Soap - Sweetheart (pinch a sample from my brother shaving Den)
Bowl: - Omega Via Barberia Ceramic Shaving Bowl
Razor: - Feather Artist Club SS Shavette (folding)
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild Blade #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Master's Bay Rum Aftershave Lotion

- When @todras suggested I would like Mycroft I had no hestitation in adding it to my order. He gets me. This is a BEAUTIFUL, refined, manly tobacco scent and... despite the fact I don't smoke and never really have... I adore tobacco in AS and EDT products. It has an excellent strength in both the tub (6) and the AS. It also pairs closely with Dunhill Edition which I've recommended to people for ages - it's a very affordable, long lasting tobacco EDT. I smell like Sherlock's living room and I am a happy man.

That's the Labdanum and the Vetiver my friend giving you those rich tobacco notes, it's a very expensive accord to make but it elevates a fragrance and gives you those notes more authentically and richly than any fragrance oil compound ever will. I hear you 100% and it's bloody awesome that you really 'get' Mycroft and what I was trying to achieve in designing it!

Before people ask why I didn't use Tobacco Absolute, it is because tobacco absolute is sweet, made from the flower, and smells nothing like tobacco.

I'm wearing it today, it's one of my new fav's from the APR stables heading into the cooler weather :cool:

Great to see you are enjoying the 1912. It is a great razor. I can recommend the 1919 and the Bullet tip as excellent stepping stones on your continuing journey with SE's. They are still mild for an SE but very efficient.

I'm not entirely getting along with my MMCP so I have been considering trying the bullet tip. If it's closer to the 1912, I have to get one.

Manly Shave
20170324_051808.jpg

Razor: Colonial General with Windrose handle
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Soap: APR Mycroft (first use)
Brush: TF Amber and Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...

- Soap performance is excellent for cushion, glide and slickness once I got my lather right. I tried to face lather but gave it up during the second pass and went back to the lather bowl with a fresh load. I'm clearly far better in the bowl and got a great lather so I don't put down my early naff lather to anything other than poor technique. Note that the soap does have a tallow funk when first opened but I left it open on the sink while I showered and most of that had gone. The funk level is the same as Phoenix and Beau if that helps. Please note that tallow smell doesn't worry me with scent profiles like this at all but some people may not like that.
- The General continues to shine with a 3 pass BBS shave - no pickups needed! I wonder how many shaves I can get out of artisan club blades? It's still going strong after 3 which is not something the double edge Feathers could do for me.
- Congratulations to @todras and @Sxot for creating outstanding products. This pair is a triumph and word from the great man is that Mycroft is selling out. Do yourself a favour, punters.

I have some Dunhil EDT that my old Boss gave me a while back. I don't use it much but now you make a connection between Myrcoft I shall dig it out and pair it up. Thanks.

1nLpGX6.jpg

Pre: Cold Water Splash
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Badger
Soap: APR - Aqua di Sydney
Strop: DIY Roo
Blade: Bengal 6/8 DIY Silky Oak Scales

Rain rain and more rain. Tropical Low off the coast & a little north so this is pretty normal. Car is in the shop after some dope ran into the back of me so I've riding the pushy into work complete with high vis rain gear & steel cap boots. It's a great look. Wife asked if I was turning into a Tri-Athelete. Was I going for a ride or a swim! How rude! She could have saved the jokes and given me a lift but nooooo insults instead. ;-) Since I feel like I am living in an ocean at the moment, Aqua Di Sydney seemed the perfect scent for today.

I prefer a large brush and lots of lather. I have recently discovered a way of getting this when face lathering and using a small brush (this one is 18mm). Load, face lather - reload and face lather some more. This results in the typical bounty a larger brush affords right through to the last pass. One of these days I might even put up a lather shot <shock>.

Two passes of divine merriment. Double splash of splash and feeling great, smelling awesome for the duration. Shave on!

Shower
Woolworths Select Twin Blade Disposable razor (7)
DR Harris Eucalyptus cream
Platypus 26mm Fan
Re-lather and cold rinse

3 pass DFS. I've been searching for the right disposable travel razor for my frequent overnighters. A 20 pack of these razors was $4.50 at Woolies so I thought I should give them a go. First couple of shaves weren't too good until I realised these things actually need some pressure to work. After that I'm finding I can get a DFS but it never quite gets everything. And I get no feedback on what's happening until after the shave... still they're probably the biggest bargain in wet shaving, I enjoy mastering new tools and I do need things like this for travelling. The Gillette Blue 2s shave probably just a bit closer (also with no damage) but the BIC twin (or single) blade disposables are most like a DE - they respond very well to light pressure. I never get on with any cart with more than 2 blades, mostly because of the expense!

Lovely cream with the right amount of menthol but I loaded too much again in this tub and ended up with more lather than I knew what to do with... it actually made the shave more difficult with this type of razor as the extra protection and glide required even more pressure to get the razor to cut. No damage though and making lather the right way prevents the razor from clogging, which used to be the bane of my life with disposables...

I have some Dunhil EDT that my old Boss gave me a while back. I don't use it much but now you make a connection between Myrcoft I shall dig it out and pair it up. Thanks.

Cool! On the off-chance that it's not the Edition flanker he's given you (there are heaps of Dunhill scents) the cheapest in Oz I've found is here.

That's the Labdanum and the Vetiver my friend giving you those rich tobacco notes, it's a very expensive accord to make but it elevates a fragrance and gives you those notes more authentically and richly than any fragrance oil compound ever will. I hear you 100% and it's bloody awesome that you really 'get' Mycroft and what I was trying to achieve in designing it!

Wow! I didn't read any of the notes before ordering so assumed it was some sort of magical Tobacco Absolute! This is even more impressive. I got a compliment on the train this morning and put it down to my smokey attitude.

20170324_SOTD_S_zps8czx1abh.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Lather: Australian Private Reserve Alfredus Choice
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Absolutely perfect shave today in every regard. Got the APR soap dialled and the resulting lather was truly sensational (pictures here). I also more and more LOVE the scent - I think I am growing up with it. I used to like mostly very simple 1 or 2 dimensional scents, but @todras is showing me the light - thank you again my friend (y)

Hope you all have a stellar weekend ahead (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.