Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
ece65f00bbdd94e1e4129f5130d68b15.jpg

First time putting up one of these!

Soap: mama bears aged spice
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Voskhod (1st time ever using these)
Brush: Omega Professional
A/S: old spice
Balm: Stray whisker

Wow. What a beautiful shave. It's my daily shave #14 for me, so skin is still getting the hang of it. My face loved this shave tonight though! This mama bears soap is no joke! Scent is quite close to the classic old spice, just slightly on the spicier side over the latter. Residual slickness didn't leave a lot more to be desired. These Voskhods? Maybe my new favourite blades. Absolutely smooth as!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow. What a beautiful shave. It's my daily shave #14 for me, so skin is still getting the hang of it. My face loved this shave tonight though! This mama bears soap is no joke! Scent is quite close to the classic old spice, just slightly on the spicier side over the latter. Residual slickness didn't leave a lot more to be desired. These Voskhods? Maybe my new favourite blades. Absolutely smooth as!
Great shave @Spencer Frankel - classic old school Old Spice with the trusty Merkur! Well done(y)(y)

Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Green (3)
Post-Shave: Alum / Pinaud Clubman / Nivea Post-Shave Balm

Using the Gillette 7 o'clock Green blade for the 3rd day, another bbs* shave was obtained. I'm not certain if this results from the EJ head or the 7 o'clock blade, or the combination of the two perhaps while using Proraso Green, but the results have been quite good.

*bbs -- a theoretically perfect shave; in practice a subjective term

ZtU3Yai.jpg

Musgo Glyce
klenzo b985 romera
Timeless
Feather
Australian Private Reserve - General Ledger Soap
Australian Private Reserve - General Ledger Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve - General Ledger EDP

The lazy Saturday shave, well paced and very enjoyable. Loving the soap @Sxot!

Enjoy your shaves chaps, and your Saturday :penguin:

@Spencer Frankel I believe there may be some voskods for sale in the bst forum if your interested ;)

Late Night Shave

Acqua di Parma Colonia Shower Gel
Acqua di Parma Colonia Body Cream
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Face Scrub
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Cream
Semogue 2012 SE
King Pelican 15 (100 Year)
Nichiri Pelican Strop
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Serum
Acqua di Parma Colonia EDC

PkgztvO.jpg

Rebolledo - Pow Pow

5c7e2002640e34492891c24383f953c0.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017
Soap: APR Lavande
Razor: ATT Kronos R2
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
EDT: Knize 10

Yesterday's shave. An important meeting, and slightly pushed for time, so just 2 passes for a DFS. The APR lather was great - get to try Mycroft tonight, and very much looking forward to it.

General Ledger Shave
20170325_133542.jpg

Razor: Colonial General with Windrose handle
Blade: Feather Pro (4)
Soap: APR General Ledger (first use)
Brush: K Shave Worx Gamechanger
Bowl: Handmade 70s toiquiose soap bowl

Thoughts...
- APR soap performance exactly as wonderful as yesterday but the scent wasn't quite as good for me. Unlike with Mycroft, GL seems to be dominated and changed by the tallow smell. Indeed, the scent is so gentle in my tub that I probably could have paired it with any of my aftershaves which wasn't really what I wanted this soap to be. Mycroft is such a punch in the face that it seems a much happier friend of this soap formula. I'd humbly suggest more GL scent in the GL soap. Obviously my comments are those of a complete layman and my nose is probably less effective than most. YMMV.
- GL aftershave just as perfect and all redeemed itself with the application.
- The shave itself was pure BBS in 3 passes with no pickups and only 3 minuscule weepers that sorted themselves out. I put this down to the blade which I retired after the shave and that's why you don't see it in the head.
- I'm trying the gamechanger knot again as I've tried really hard to break in the TF Amber and Gold brush synthetic knot but it is not losing its tiny bit of scritch when you change direction of the tips on your face. The Gamechanger doesn't have that but it's probably a tiny bit weaker at lathering, at least in this found bowl I use when my others are full of other soaps. I'm thinking seriously about getting the tuxedo knot in one of Tony's other handles. Does anyone have opinions about the tuxedo? I've heard the version that Wolf Whiskers use is perfect.

Last edited:

I was feeling a bit silly this morning and got the R41 out again. Not a comfortable shave but 2 pass with no irritation so not to bad.
New brush is amazing!
Was going to sell the jabonman - what was I thinking? This soap is the best on the market!

What's not in the picture is the edt I used whilst walking through the shaver shop this morning. They had some blue beards edt on sale so I picked some up and tried it and I have to say that is one of the best scents I have come across. I didn't buy it but I think I'll go back tomorrow and grab some as I'm a massive, massive fan.

Razor: Timeless 68 razor w/ barber handle
Blade: 7 O'clock Yellow Gillette (1)
Soap: MWF
Brush: TF Custom Manchurian

This razor and I are not getting along. Multiple nicks on the neck no matter how little pressure, how much time taken or what angle I use. Very weird as the 95 I borrowed from @Tony Forsyth was totally different in feel and performance. For a larger blade gap, it was smoother and I think only bit me once which was my fault. Thinking I might either sell on and look at ATT, or trade for a 95 plate.

15403eb63602092c197315fa10d2dd0f.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017;l
Soap: APR Mycroft
Razor: ATT Kronos R2
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
Splash: APR Mycroft

A stellar shave. The APR lather was wonderful, and the blade glided so easily and gently, even with the R2 plate. Three passes and a couple of cleanup strokes for a BBS result, and the smoothest shave I've had with this plate.
The post-shave was excellent.
I love the dark, sinister notes of the Mycroft scent. Well done @todras - your skill and fearlessness to push the envelope has resulted in an absolute beauty!

17504219_1497126663633100_7532324990379226073_o.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long Horse/badger
Soap: Squadron Spitfire
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade: Astra SP

Most enjoyable shave this morning, I love to get up early on a Sunday and have a leisurely 3 pass shave.
Brush and soap produced an excellent lather and I enjoyed the sweet scent of the Spitfire.

I used the Slim today because I was thinking about the Model T. This razor, which is as old as me, is in great condition and, although it may not have been used all of it's life, has stood the test of time. I hope between the pressures of time, money and manufacturing the Model T can be the modern day equivalent. I'm sure it will be good but I'm still hoping for great.

Enjoy your Sunday and have a great shave.

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (12)
Brush: Simpson 'QEII Jubilee' limited edition 19/150
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Aftershave lotion
Aftershave: APR Aqua di Sydney Aftershave splash
Cologne: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Pour Homme

Summer again? No, but a boy can pretend ...

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 26 March 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Squadron Soap - Spitfire (pinch a sample from my brother shaving Den)
Bowl: - Omega Via Barberia Ceramic Shaving Bowl
Razor: - Feather Artist Club SS Shavette (folding)
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild Blade #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Master's Bay Rum Aftershave Lotion

The Squadron Soap called 'Spitfire' is becoming my favorite scent sweet relaxing smell of vanilla something which I can pin-point the scent of bergamot and tonka bean as I'm not 100% sure about the rest of the scent, @SchoolForAnts you've done a bloody fantastic job on the 'Spitfire' and my brother really enjoy this very much keep up the great work.

p5H0OUr.jpg

La Toja
Boots Manchurian
Timeless
Feather
Australian Private Reserve Alfredus Choice Soap
Australian Private Reserve Alfredus Choice Aftershave
AdP Colonia

A leisurely and measured Sunday shave with all the considered, unhurried enjoyment it brings. Beautiful wood, spice and citrus notes for the cooler weather carried through the rich buttery lather. A perfect start through to a perfect finish :)

Have a great Sunday & do enjoy your shaves chaps :pompous:

Status
Not open for further replies.