Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the dark, sinister notes of the Mycroft scent. Well done @todras - your skill and fearlessness to push the envelope has resulted in an absolute beauty!

Thank you Tom, most astute and part two of the 'Mycroft' composition..first tobacco, then the darkness, one to go!

There comes a time when one must delve fearlessly beyond Wallachs terpenes and monoterpenes into the intractable depths of the oleo-resins - more wax than volatile oils, thick, resinous and dark viscous substances - a bugger to work with. Ive collected and sourced Labdanum, Styrax and the myriad of Balsams, all kinds of old resins and such like . Through my experimentation and working with them as substances I found them acutely organic, old smells that have fallen out of favour - I immediately procured as many resins and such like as I could and set about getting to know them all. Wonderful fragrances frankly, most unique in smell and physicality.

I have another iteration of my dabbling into this area that I am finalising at the moment, it's a fragrance for the middle of winter I have called 'Winterfell'. I will get a vial out to you in the near future, always keen to hear what you think :)

MFj9DH5.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V Romera Manchurian
Lather: Australian Private Reserve General Ledger
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Wonderful Sunday shave with some stellar lather (picture here) - love the scent and performance of the new Australian Private Reserve soap - I hope you all enjoy your shaves as well!

Full_Size_Render.jpg

• Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
  • Soap: OSP Neroli
  • Brush: M&F 2XL Blonde Badger
  • Strop: Premier Strop Co. Red Latigo
  • Razor: Dorko 6/8"
  • Post-Shave: Alum, Myrsol Antesol
I must apologise for the photo, but unlike some I don't shave in a tree.:p
Dorko fresh off the hones. The last edge didn't last too long, possibly due to there being a lot of hone wear. I added an extra layer of tape (well what do you know @Mark was right, this does need 4 layers - it's not like he's the honemeister or anything) and the shave was exceptional.
OSP is probably my top new soap of last year. How is everyone else going with theirs? I believe I offered to buy yours from you @Mark1966 if you weren't happy. Offer still stands.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

• Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
  • Soap: OSP Neroli
  • Brush: M&F 2XL Blonde Badger
  • Strop: Premier Strop Co. Red Latigo
  • Razor: Dorko 6/8"
  • Post-Shave: Alum, Myrsol Antesol
I must apologise for the photo, but unlike some I don't shave in a tree.:p
Dorko fresh off the hones. The last edge didn't last too long, possibly due to there being a lot of hone wear. I added an extra layer of tape (well what do you know @Mark was right, this does need 4 layers - it's not like he's the honemeister or anything) and the shave was exceptional.
OSP is probably my top new soap of last year. How is everyone else going with theirs? I believe I offered to buy yours from you @Mark1966 if you weren't happy. Offer still stands.

I think everyone should have their own shave tree - if would make the world a better place :D :D :D

Brush: RR Monster
Razor: Timeless 68 scalloped
Soap: Caties LTV
A/S: Thayers & Myrsol F/Extra

First shave with the Timeless that I haven't drawn blood. Still not a comfortable shave by any means. Just feels like I'm dragging the razor across my face, regardless of angle. Getting close shaves, just not enjoyable. Might have to beg @Tony Forsyth for a loan of the 95 to confirm that I'm not going crazy that it was better.

b2869e8be9901c476981b6ac0e6b5758.jpg

Birthday Shave

Razor: Wolfman that was acquired for me by Nick Barriga
Soap: Shaver Heaven Gone Grapefruit made by Anthony Macri
Post: The Stray Whisker after balm made and supplied by Con Kazantzidis
Aftershave: Ghost Ship a fantastic scent made by Kelly Hogan

I have made so many great friends in the wet shaving community and I am glad I have been wet shaving for about 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not a comfortable shave by any means. Just feels like I'm dragging the razor across my face, regardless of angle. Getting close shaves, just not enjoyable.

I would try a different brand of blade before throwing the baby out with the bathwater, it is a very rare exception that I do not get a thoroughly enjoyable and flawless shave with my timeless, so much so that I am finding I use it more than the ATT which itself is an excellent razor in most regards.

I have used Polsilvers SI and browns, Derby Supers and my regular go to Feathers with the .68mm base-plate and my Timeless resonates perfectly - it sings on the WTG down pass and delivers probably the most comfortable and efficient shaves I have ever experienced. The balance, weighting and machining tolerances on the Timeless really are exactly right, just slightly ahead of my ATT R1 which while very good is just a fraction over zealous.

My 0.02 mate, ykmv :)

I would try a different brand of blade before throwing the baby out with the bathwater, it is a very rare exception that I do not get a thoroughly enjoyable and flawless shave with my timeless, so much so that I am finding I use it more than the ATT which itself is an excellent razor in most regards.

I have used Polsilvers SI and browns, Derby Supers and my regular go to Feathers with the .68mm base-plate and my Timeless resonates perfectly - it sings on the WTG down pass and delivers probably the most comfortable and efficient shaves I have ever experienced. The balance, weighting and machining tolerances on the Timeless really are exactly right, just slightly ahead of my ATT R1 which while very good is just a fraction over zealous.

My 0.02 mate, ykmv :)
lol... I was just reading your review when you posted this :D I'll certainly stick with it and try a few different blades, and also make sure it's not my technique. The only thing that confuses me, is how I could have liked the 95 and found it comfortable, but not the 68. Wondering if the angle of the blade is just slightly different with the increased gap.

b2869e8be9901c476981b6ac0e6b5758.jpg

Birthday Shave

Razor: Wolfman that was acquired for me by Nick Barriga
Soap: Shaver Heaven Gone Grapefruit made by Anthony Macri
Post: The Stray Whisker after balm made and supplied by Con Kazantzidis
Aftershave: Ghost Ship a fantastic scent made by Kelly Hogan

I have made so many great friends in the wet shaving community and I am glad I have been wet shaving for about 2 years.
Happy birthday @SydBJW - hope you are having a great time (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday 26 March 2017

3WLKdTFHEBRPozmMIh5TusgcqGOkkt9NjS4v0TMX0oOJEHELEE7-8rp46ySzCUgN7U170ZRRY8F2TVdSlUUSqwcVAyh4pYVG-_U=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi Kamisori Simmetrico, 11/16 Full Hollow, French Point

In this springtime sunny Sunday I wanted to enjoy a shave by using this Mastro Livi Symmetrical Kamisori made of Damasteel Odin's eye pattern. This kamisori delivers an incredibly close shave also thanks to the well known Damasteel's aggressiveness, a very performing steel for razor's blades. The soap I used today is a very special one: Aguzzeria del Cavallo - a well known shop in Bologna, Italy - used to make this great shaving soap for decades and, as far as I know, they discontinued its production. Such a pity. The finishing touch was delivered by Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, an aftershave - in my opinion - having no Bay Rum fragrance at all despite the name.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Aguzzeria del Cavallo
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Badger, Olive Wood Handle, 22mm Knot
  • Bowl: Mastro Livi Olive Wood Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Kamisori Simmetrico, 11/16 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum

MFj9DH5.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Brush: Doug Korn D7V Romera Manchurian
Lather: Australian Private Reserve General Ledger
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Wonderful Sunday shave with some stellar lather (picture here) - love the scent and performance of the new Australian Private Reserve soap - I hope you all enjoy your shaves as well!

Who says money doesn't grow in trees, or at least accounted for [emoji6]

4312752bcf67f7e5dab6813318a818bd.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017
Soap: APR General Ledger
Razor: ATT Kronos R2
Blade: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum (1)
Splash: APR General Ledger

Wow was this blade sharp in the R2 plate. Quite smooth and shaved very closely, but lots of tiny weepers on neck and a couple on chin. This is typically what a Feather blade does to me. These vintage Schicks are terrific performers in my milder razors. Will see if it settles down in next few shaves, as often happens with vintage blades.
Three passes for a very close DFS+. The APR lather was excellent. The scent of General Ledger is outstanding in soap form. A bold, rich, mysterious Fougére, with an opening explosion of herbaceous spices, grounded with earthy forest notes. I also get a beautiful fennel note, maybe even some musk? Whatever, it is really good, and for me well suited to Autumn.
I should have this next sentence permanently in the clipboard for pasting:
Great work, @todras !

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (13)
Brush: Simpson 'QEII Jubilee' limited edition 19/150
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve Mycroft shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve Mycroft aftershave lotion

Nothing unlucky about this shave, lovely start to the week. All downhills from here with my travel kit ...

Have a great week guys!

eePUsXE.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Timeless
Feather
Hoffritz 103
Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Barristers Reserve Classic
Australian Private Reserve The Orange Place

A nice opening to the week, good lather and great scents. I use the Barristers Reserve as a facial toner these days, a great result all round.

Have a good day people :)

Status
Not open for further replies.