Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
A badger/horse??? never seen or heard of a badger/horse knot, I've got this brush below put away and it's been so desperate to get back into the wet shaving. I was thinking about getting the Epsilon white horse into my den because I'm not 100% sure.

5BsBSjl.jpg
Sure you have. I picked up my Vie Long from the sale of the late Draco Noir's brushes. Here's a link: https://www.themodernman.co.uk/au/v...qmw6Pq3c_XGWwuYgy-WQAN5TBUp9M6ZRoCSkwQAvD_BwE
Look familiar? Maybe you should get one of these before a 100% horse brush.
That Semogue Badger/Boar looks nice. Why aren't you using that?

That Semogue Badger/Boar looks nice. Why aren't you using that?
Don't worry I will use my Semogue Badger/Boar when I move into my unit soon because I have so many items in my military footlocker waiting to be used, why? Because the bathroom is too small in the house and my unit has two bathrooms, I have a master bathroom and a normal size bathroom. :happy::smug::smuggrin:

Pre: shower
razor: SSSeygus extrem 2016 OC
blade: Feather #3
Bursh: Semogue 2000 Boar
soap: MdC Agrumes
splash: APR Suitably attired Australian
EdP: APR Suitably attired summer

y4fs3FU.jpg

A winning combination!. So attired now :D

keeping lather shot posting, even if they are not the best quality pictures of the world, of course!

IMG_20180424_110214-01.jpg

So... Time to test the $10 renovated British Gillette Rocket HD. Wow. I was almost certain I'd have to bin this when I brought it home but with a tiny bit of work I've ended up with an attractive, smooth classic razor for peanuts. Plus I've saved it for the next generation! As I'd read, the Rocket is a very easy shaver that was simple to handle and use. It has a little less audio feedback than I like but it certainly is efficient enough to be an easy three pass and pickup BBS machine. The exemplar daily driver. Both sides have an equal blade gap and the mechanism is amazingly smooth indeed. The mildness (I'm thinking this is like a 4 or 5 on a Slim) was appreciated as I have a bit of a breakout after my foolish flirtation with the evils of witch hazel goo. I'm sorry alcohol based aftershaves, I'm sticking with you from now on.

Pre: 3 drops jojoba oil
Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
Razorock Bruce synth
MWF
Anherb balm

Cracking shave today!!
I'm really liking the jojoba oil as pre shave! I'll definitely incorporate it in my own pre shave oil mix (grapeseed oil, Abyssinian oil, jojoba oil and lemon Myrtle EO).

Pre: 3 drops jojoba oil
Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
Razorock Bruce synth
MWF
Anherb balm

Cracking shave today!!
I'm really liking the jojoba oil as pre-shave! I'll definitely incorporate it into my own pre-shave oil mix (grapeseed oil, Abyssinian oil, jojoba oil and lemon Myrtle EO).

@nav1 did you grated two or three pucks of MWF into your black tub, looks huge and may last about 2 years of shaving :confused:

@nav1 did you grated two or three pucks of MWF into your black tub, looks huge and may last about 2 years of shaving :confused:

Nope, just dropped one puck in the soap commander tub and the puck expanded after several uses, as MWF does.

As MWF produces a frothy proto lather, I wanted a tub with high walls to keep it all in, plus it looks awesome!!

Nope, just dropped one puck in the soap commander tub and the puck expanded after several uses, as MWF does.

As MWF produces a frothy proto lather, I wanted a tub with high walls to keep it all in, plus it looks awesome!!
Thanks for the tip, one soap commander tub is on my shopping list for 2019.

How's the horse and what's the backbone like and can you please tell me what's the knot size and loft height, also do you find the horse better than the boar?
If I may chime in (I have a similar Epsilon Horse brush): IMO horse hair is the closest to a badger brush and different to a boar. The lather (and lathering) is very similar to a silver tip badger. The Epsilon has great backbone due to the density and low loft...and the knot becomes super soft after 5-10 uses. Just have to take care of the knot a bit more, because of the very fine hair..

1nDF2tT.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Shavemac ATG 2017 LE
Lather: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Another fantastic shave with this setup. The wonderful Shavemac brush whipped up some stellar Mike's lather and the BBS-1/Ladas combo took care of the rest - happy days.

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

skSX4fal.jpg

Semogue 1800, MWF, Bengall, Witch Hazel, Nivea, Jovan Musk
Gave the Bengall a touch up on the 0.5 micron pasted leather then 50 laps on the strop.The paste gets the blade "tree topping" on arm hair which,for me, equals sharp enough to get a smooth result all over.Mainly translating to including my chin as this has been a trouble area with the straights and if I focus on single strokes rolling over the curves then I get enough off to require a few touch ups.Archive pic as phone is having wifi issues,again.

Very pleasant single pass with my 6/8" Tinifuji. Recently tweaked on a Translucent Arkansas.
Semogue 2000 and a home brewed soap.
All in all a great way to test out a new hot water service.
Soo....what did you get? This should almost require a photo of new HWS in acquisitions given importance as shaving equipment.

Pre Dawn Service Shave:

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Valobra Cologne
Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: NOS Polsilver (1)
Scent: Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Pre-Dawn Service ANZAC Day shave. Dedicated to my Father - a Grenadier Guard and a great man. He proudly marched on ANZAC day parades for many decades.
On ANZAC Day and Father's Day, I polish his Grenadier cap band. He told me many times that a Guardsman must polish his cap band and other metal fittings twice a day - being found by a superior with anything less than flawless gleaming metal resulted in a mandatory charge. The Queen's Guard are not toy soldiers - they are crack troops with a rich and hard-earned battle history.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Lest we forget

QWFyZfS.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave Butter
Hucklaration
Wolfman WR1 SB
Feather
Declaration+Chatillon Lux TSM FougèreSoap
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve/Splash
Chatillon Lux Sylva EDT

@Pbgoose - Thermann Continuous flow. :) Never thought of it as a "shaving acquisition" but your are an astute judge of the vitally important, it is essential for the 3 minute hot towel routine. Mine at least.

Thanks for giving me more justification for improving the quality of my shave. :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on a Weber classic handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney board/badger combination shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Acqua di Palma Colonia shaving soap
Aftershave: Acqua di Palma Colonia splash
Fragrance: Acqua di Palma Colonia EDC

First shave since Monday morning, first decent shave in 10 days or so - I took the luxury option! A couple of weepers but they did not detract from a fine shave :) I'm glad to be home

As I was shaving this morning I was very conscious of my comfortable 'first world' and 'no-war' problems of lousy shaves. The pictures in the trenches show shaves under much more challenging conditions than a hotel bathroom with a cartridge. Lest we forget

@Pbgoose - Thermann Continuous flow. :) Never thought of it as a "shaving acquisition" but your are an astute judge of the vitally important, it is essential for the 3 minute hot towel routine. Mine at least.

Thanks for giving me more justification for improving the quality of my shave. :)
I'd be interested in how the Thermann performs. In a lot of the accommodation I stay in when travelling they use continuous flow HWS's and although I love the idea that they only heat what is being used, some models won't activate on very low flows which is really annoying if you're just rinsing your hands. I'm not sure whether that's a sign of deterioration related to hard water problems, which I believe they are susceptible to, but I still prefer the good old storage unit, but may have to consider the continuous flow in the reno. Are you running NG or LPG and to keep this shaving related :) what temperature do you set it at for your hot towel routine (or is it set temp model)?

Status
Not open for further replies.