Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, damaskeen oc
Nice! E: How is the spring on it?
I got cocky with my dragging on blades that should be in the bin and yesterday got a heap of weepers from a micromatic shave. First time trying one after my hiatus and I should have had a lot more respect for it :D
I have been too slack with 1912s, plus the best MMs I had were sold off so I was on rocky ground with a non favourite. On the bad side - yeah, I'll save money by not wanting to leave the house for a couple of days. On the good side the razor has been blooded.
Wait, did I get them right? the bad point is the good and vice versa ;)
Maybe there's no good side except rb rhum everywhere, all the time :wacky:

Or maybe it's all good!
The spring is all good but it is not as tight as most of my 1912s, plenty tight enough to hold the blade though. Not a prime example of the OC but they are hard to find. Is the spring a common issue with the OC? I have a couple of other newer Damaskeenes with no issues.
The 1912 is as great razor, in all its forms, and the MM definitely demands respect. That said, they give an excellent shave when it all comes together.
I just picked up a (another) Sunray set, I shouldn't have but for $9 I couldn't resist, I will give it run at the weekend.

I was asking because the spring on my damaskeene is loose. Not loose when holding a blade, but not *tight* against the cap when no blade in in there, unlike the newer 1912s I have.

E: Just checking them now and the older ones definitely have a weaker spring, I'm worried that one day they won't hold a blade secure enough.

Fatboy
Gillette stainless
B&M 42 set
CK Euphoria

I got roped into working at another site these past two days, works fine but my offsider is a HUGE jackass.
I make a big effort to get along with people but this guy tests my resolve something powerful.
It’s one thing to be obnoxious and arrogant but when you’re wrong aswell... LOOOORD GIVE ME STRENGTH!!

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on a Weber classic handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert EDP

Definitely cooler today, might have to pack away these summer scents ...

0xKi1Jh.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave Butter
M&F 3XL
WolfmanG/UFO
Feather
Caties Bubbles La Terre Verte Soap/Splash/EDT

Thursday 26th April

WeEDBS6l.jpg

Barrister & Mann Sinfonia
Certifyd Boar
PILS - Polsilver
Xerjoff Jebel Qatar Exclusive

You don’t hear a great deal about Sinfonia, or maybe my lack of forum use shows but this is an unsung beauty from Will. Sometimes you don’t need to push boundaries or shock people. Just produce a beautiful soap.

1. Preshave: Shiner Gold
  2. Blade: Derby Extra
  3. Razor: iKon SBS on Bulldog handle
  4. Soap: Cella
  5. Brush: Simpsons, Tulip 3, Manchurian
  6. Postshave: Proraso green aftershave
  7. Earworm: Big White Cloud - John Cale
Great shave this morning, took my time for a lovely 3 pass shave. I like how the open comb on this head leaves behind a good deal of lather, it allows for a follow up draw with the closed comb side. After 3 passes BBS.

1KihY3Xl.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion (yeah, yeah, I know I've been calling it balm but it's really an emulsion)
Soap: Pb Copaiba
Brush: Omega Italian Boar
Razor: Micromatic
Blade: Gem (3)
Nice shave from the Micromatic this morning.

Yesterday:

Pre: Myrsol Emulsion
razor: Weber/UFO
blade: Astra Green
Brush: yaqi sagrada familia
soap: GD After the fire
splash: B&M Seville
EdP: APR Ozymandias

CPduXO7.jpg

Today:

Pre: hot water
razor: Maggard 3VA
blade: Astra Green
Brush: yaqi sagrada familia
APR Fouguere Bourbon Rose soap/splash/EdP

XUndW4I.jpg

And today's lather...

Date: 27 April 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Tabac Shaving Stick
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Astra Superior Stainless #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Painting starts tomorrow on my unit, and minor repairs.

APR 'Ozymandias' sample / Omega 48 / Gillette President Y4 + vintage Perma Sharp blade (3) / Fine 'Santal Absolute'

I have been waiting for some cooler weather to try the sample of APR 'Ozymandias' soap @todras kindly provided to us at the last meet up. At last Autumn seems to have arrived in Sydney - Unfortunately I have a cold so the scent profile is a bit muted at the moment - but even with a stuffed nose I could smell the delicious woody oud and sandalwood, the vanilla sweetness and the alcoholic rum or brandy-like "boozy" components. A gorgeous winter scent.

The new soap base seems good too - I always have trouble getting a true picture from samples - the soap is fairly soft and I scooped an almond-sized portion out and lathered in a bowl. I normally build up a lather on the full puck, so the lather may not have been representative - but it lathers easily and it is a "lighter" style lather - not the thick dense creaminess of a 'Declaration" bison tallow lather, but certainly slick and protective. I will try a larger portion of soap next time. The scent is moderately strong from the lather and really allows the gorgeous scent profile to fill the bathroom!

I'm looking forward to exploring this scent more - but overall this is a really beautifully crafted winter fragrance from Dan - definitely not for warm days, but I will certainly be purchasing a set when its released on June 1 :)

The Gillette President is all you could want in a President - solid, reliable, efficient and fairly mild. If only all US Presidents were so :banghead:

Three passes and a generous splash of the Fine Santal to get me through Friday.

Enjoy your shaves and the last day of a mercifully short working week :pompous:
https://flic.kr/p/26zm4yc

Pre: jojoba oil
Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
TurnNshave Boss knot
Haslinger - Seaweed
Anherb balm

Haslinger is awesome soap! Beautiful, simplistic scents that are very pleasant. Even though the scent strength is not high, the scent does linger a good while after the shave.

Too bad they reformulated. I've got the entire set with tallow base, ex-honey as I reacted to it. But I did sell off my stash of reserve tallow pucks :(

20180427_095148_01_01.jpg

hfAJpdW.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Sumo Lapis
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

A wonderful weekend shave - the Guerrilla is for me a stellar razor, smooth yet so efficient. The Paladin is coming along very nicely and the knot feels incredible on the face and whipped up some delightful Stirling lather.

I hope you all have a fantastic start into the weekend (y)

Pre: jojoba oil
Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
TurnNshave Boss knot
Haslinger - Seaweed
Anherb balm

Haslinger is awesome soap! Beautiful, simplistic scents that are very pleasant. Even though the scent strength is not high, the scent does linger a good while after the shave.

Too bad they reformulated. I've got the entire set with tallow base, ex-honey as I reacted to it. But I did sell off my stash of reserve tallow pucks :(
Have you tried the new version? The impression I got from other forums is that there is not a noticeable difference between the two versions.

Have you tried the new version? The impression I got from other forums is that there is not a noticeable difference between the two versions.

Well, that's very reassuring!!

I haven't tried the new version yet as my existing pucks probably won't need refill until about 2030...or earlier if they go off.

Status
Not open for further replies.