Balm: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose balm
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose EDP

Small courtyard at the back of a London terrace
Summer sun struggling to provide any real warmth
Small table, two chairs
Half eaten bowl of strawberries with fresh clotted cream, two spoons
Two glasses of Pimms, the ice slowly melting
Her complexion fair, all peaches and cream, smooth unblemished
My head resting snugly in her ample décolletage as it rises and falls with her breathing
Warm, soft, embracing

You may have had a shave gentlemen, I had Fougère Bourbon Rose

NIzb6y2h.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pb French Green Garden
Brush: Epsilon Horse
Razor: Dr Balfanz
Put the Dr on the stones last night which returned probably the best shave I've had off this razor albeit with a couple of weepers.

Many thanks @Pbgoose, I was just about to order a Shapton 8K to begin my honing journey. I guess there is a lot of satisfaction in honing your own blades once you get good at it.
I scored my Shapton 8K to fill the gap between the 5 and 10K Naniwa. I picked it up 2nd hand and have been very happy with it. Yes, some frustration, but very satisfying when you're able to get the edge you want on your own blades.

XfcPqcr.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Shavemac ATG 2017 LE
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

My face was still a bit raw from my last shave and so even this wonderfully smooth razor managed to draw a bit of blood. Nonetheless one of my absolute favourite razors and a real shame, that they are not made anymore...

This Shavemac unique knot can hold a ton of water/lather and I think I am slowly using it to its full potential. It whipped up mountains of fantastic Mike's lather and the shave was really enjoyable - ready for the Adelaide meet-up :)

I hope you all have a stellar Sunday (y)

Do you use anything to 'flatten' your stones'? I have read a lot about this but not sure how essential it is.
Absolutely essential. I use an Atoma 400# (diamond grit) to lap my stones. It keeps the stone flat and cleans the stone from the swarf that comes off the blade. The stone gets blackened over the course of honing. Sometimes I may even have to lap mid honing on a stone if excessive swarf builds up, but generally just at the end of a honing on a blade to keep stone clean/flat. You'll probably find lots of you tube videos re honing and lapping.
I've also got a 1200# Atoma that I use for bevel setting. I mention this as I think it's better to have a dedicated lapping stone. I was using the 1200# to lap the higher grade stones but stopped doing that as the 1200# was a new stone and I wasn't sure if I was getting some diamond dust contamination onto the stones I was lapping (I was getting some micro chipping I couldn't account for, might have just been technique).

Pre: my lemon Myrtle pre shave oil
Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
TurnNshave boss knot synth
Fine Santal Absolut
Anherb balm

First go with the Fine Santal...what a beautiful scent! It lingers after the shave and my wife loved it!!

I'm addicted to the R4 plate and I don't think I could ever go back to round handles again!!

20180527_102913_01.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Personna Blue (4)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Bloom shaving bowl
Soap: Grooming Dept's DiA

Tamed the Beast! Have a great Monday...

Semogue 1800,
MWF,
Bengall 6/8" & Gotta 4/8",
Witch Hazel,

VCS
Saw the Barber in town on Friday and after a chat she asked if I would sharpen two of her straights.The Bengall is in good condition,had a couple of very small nicks in the blade edge and took a bevel nicely.Gotta was stamped with "silver steel" on the tang and it honed very quickly.After bevel set,4k and 8k stone and hundred or so laps on my barbers hone,I ran them over the 0.5 micron lapping film before the 0.25 micron pasted linen and stropping.
The Gotta is a great little shaver and handled the right side of face and neck without any issues.It is a bit small for my liking but if I had no other choice could use it happily.The Bengall isn't as "meaty" as my blade and felt flimsy compared but shaved well on the left and top lip/chin area.Felt a bit like the Filarmonica in weight and the grind is very similar.
I enjoyed using these two razors today.Something different.

Last edited:
Great shave tonight. My experiment with the Bengall continues.
Arkansas progression but instead of the Translucent to finish on I used the Coticule with light oil.
Very sharp but a smoother feel to the blade when compare to a full Arkansas progression.
Next will be the Chinese Cnat as the finishing hone.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on a Weber classic handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (10)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming and Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere Shave Soap
Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget Aftershave

Status
Not open for further replies.