Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to hear.:) Did you see your Staffie get bitten? Wondering how soon you were able to get antivenin dosed. We lost my son's border collie to a snake bite two years ago but didn't see the event so by the time we administered the antivenin it was too late.
We didn't see the bite - were beach fishing in the SW, and she went up into the dunes a few times, which apparently is a common environment for bites to occur. My mate commented that she was unusually quiet (for a Staffie) on the drive home. It was a very hot day - we thought she was dehydrated and gave her water. When I came out of the shower, my mate said there's definitely something wrong. I checked her out - her pupils were weird, and she was starting to twitch. That's when we rushed her to the vet. Just lucky that it was close by, and they were able to respond to an emergency at 10pm. The vet did a blood test, confirmed a Tiger or Brown snake bite, and started treatment immediately. She intimated that it was 50/50 if she would make it, but the brave little girl pulled through. Here she is looking very sorry for herself upon release - still got the IV line bandage on her leg. And a week later down the beach; fully recovered.

We didn't see the bite - were beach fishing in the SW, and she went up into the dunes a few times, which apparently is a common environment for bites to occur. My mate commented that she was unusually quiet (for a Staffie) on the drive home. It was a very hot day - we thought she was dehydrated and gave her water. When I came out of the shower, my mate said there's definitely something wrong. I checked her out - her pupils were weird, and she was starting to twitch. That's when we rushed her to the vet. Just lucky that it was close by, and they were able to respond to an emergency at 10pm. The vet did a blood test, confirmed a Tiger or Brown snake bite, and started treatment immediately. She intimated that it was 50/50 if she would make it, but the brave little girl pulled through. Here she is looking very sorry for herself upon release - still got the IV line bandage on her leg. And a week later down the beach; fully recovered.

Matilda postbite

matilda beach 1709_3
That was quite lucky that you were able to get her to the vet in time (y)

So cute! Glad she was OK (y)

pAWuIYQ.jpg

DELTA ECHO "CUBANO" FAT BOY
BOLZANO
SIMPSON CHUBBY 1 SUPER
EUFROS GEA
EUFROS GEA BALM
What are the Eufros balms like? I’m thinking of adding them the next order I send to Manuel.

Thanks TomG, that's interesting and good to hear snake bite story with happy ending. The vet said similar thing to us re: small chance of success with antvenin. So you had reasonable time frame between bite and treatment, I was thinking maybe you had to virtually see incident and go straight to treatment but obviously more variables involved.

Thanks TomG, that's interesting and good to hear snake bite story with happy ending. The vet said similar thing to us re: small chance of success with antvenin. So you had reasonable time frame between bite and treatment, I was thinking maybe you had to virtually see incident and go straight to treatment but obviously more variables involved.
Yes - As I understand it, one of the more crucial variables is the quantity of venom injected. Venomous Snakes exhibit both defensive and offensive strikes, with varying quantities of venom. Also, some dogs are not driven off with the first strike, and unfortunately receive multiple bites, invariably with fatal consequences. Again, my sincere condolences for your loss.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: DR Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: OSP Barber Shop
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: Ted Pella Gem SS (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

First shave with a GEM style razor. Three passes for a DFS+. I was very careful to avoid pressure, and with the benefit of hindsight, was probably a little too cautious with my initial WTG pass. Hence, a little too much compensating pressure on the next two passes, with a slightly "scraped" feel to the face, and a couple of weepers. The Ted Pella blade was pretty smooth, and those whiskers of mine stood no chance whatsoever. A shout out to @Greenpike for kindly PIF'ing the blades to me.
I've got to say that I'm happy with my first shave. No doubt there is room for improvement with my technique in both pressure and finding the angle with this razor.

Razor: Vintage Eclipse 'Red Ring'
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Premium Chromium blade (4)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) les généraux du grand livre EDP

It has been too long my friend, but you will always be in my life, grand by name and grand by nature.

Wasn't actually playing - except in my head
"Generals gathered in their masses, Just like witches at Black Masses..."

Gillette Red Tip 1955
Gillette New Super Silver 1972 @8
Vie-Longue Horse
Scentless Old Spice Shaving cream
Vintage Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Height shaves and this blade still refuse to go on the rough side. This one was very pleasant, barely any feedback from the alum bloc, close and smooth.
I think I'll go for a ninth ride :)

N9OsNat.jpg

Got a P74 in your arsenal, @Maxime D? If I recall correctly, both you and @Nightguard have very impressive vIntage blade stocks, so I'll be very interested in your choice of weapon.
Yes, I do have a pack of P74 somewhere. I think I'll go for a Schick Plus Platinum or maybe Swedes. :)

Date: 26 January 2018 - Australia Day

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ Rum Runner 3x
Razor:- GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
Blade:- GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #3
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

Status
Not open for further replies.