Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (1)
Brush: Tony Foysyth P&C LE Playtpus brush
Soap/Cream:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) & Squadron Soap LE Australians All shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) & Squadron Soap LE Australians All splash

No brainer choice of kit today, even the razors reeks Aussie history

Settlement, dispossession, wars fought far away and closer to home. The outback legend for an urbanised nation. The heat, the flies and the incredible Aussie light which is like no other I've seen around the world.

'True blue' Aussies, with backgrounds from a plethora of nations. 'New Australians', Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, our most iconic term, 'mate', applicable to every one from every where regardless of age or sex.

A land where I can walk past the office of the Prime Minister with a simple photo pass and bump into the leaders of our nation in coffee shops and supermarkets, where we can disagree on deeply held issues and not have to worry too much about being shot or stabbed as a result.

Some incredible feats through our history and some deeply troubling times too. Many, many challenges as we face the future, but many, more things to be thankful for too.

Oh, and with The Stray Whisker having 15% off all Aussie products this weekend - a great time to be an Aussie wet-shaver too!

Gillette Red Tip 1955
Gillette New Super Silver 1972 @8
Vie-Longue Horse
Scentless Old Spice Shaving cream
Vintage Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Height shaves and this blade still refuse to go on the rough side. This one was very pleasant, barely any feedback from the alum bloc, close and smooth.
I think I'll go for a ninth ride :)

N9OsNat.jpg

Yes, I do have a pack of P74 somewhere. I think I'll go for a Schick Plus Platinum or maybe Swedes. :)
Good call. BTW - I also lover those vintage Super Silvers. So smooth, but very sharp.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (1)
Brush: Tony Foysyth P&C LE Playtpus brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) & Squadron Soap LE Australians All shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) & Squadron Soap LE Australians All splash

No brainer choice of kit today, even the razors reeks Aussie history

Settlement, dispossession, wars fought far away and closer to home. The outback legend for an urbanised nation. The heat, the flies and the incredible Aussie light which is like no other I've seen around the world.

'True blue' Aussies, with backgrounds from a plethora of nations. 'New Australians', Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, our most iconic term, 'mate', applicable to every one from every where regardless of age or sex.

A land where I can walk past the office of the Prime Minister with a simple photo pass and bump into the leaders of our nation in coffee shops and supermarkets, where we can disagree on deeply held issues and not have to worry too much about being shot or stabbed as a result.

Some incredible feats through our history and some deeply troubling times too. Many, many challenges as we face the future, but many, more things to be thankful for too.

Oh, and with The Stray Whisker having 15% off all Aussie products this weekend - a great time to be an Aussie wet-shaver too!
Great post and an impeccable Line-up for Australia Day. The General has spoken.

Man - what a line-up. Nice one, @todras

It's nastily humid here and I needed something for some relief this morning, we were sitting on 86% humidity.

The AdP Pura is a very interesting fragrance - it's apparently AdP reaching out to the younger market using some very sophisticated compounds that I had never experienced before, I was quite impressed I have to say at the technical aspects and their delivery..would love to get my grubby little hands on whatever captives they have.

Would I recommend it ? well that's hard to say, probably not immediately over others in the range but if you are a Colonia fan and want something contemporary with seriously immediate projection then this is for you. Once it settles down it's quite nice, but bloody hell the first 10-20 minutes is pure Italian theater - would be great for the Nightclub set I'm betting.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: DR Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: OSP Barber Shop
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: Ted Pella Gem SS (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

First shave with a GEM style razor. Three passes for a DFS+. I was very careful to avoid pressure, and with the benefit of hindsight, was probably a little too cautious with my initial WTG pass. Hence, a little too much compensating pressure on the next two passes, with a slightly "scraped" feel to the face, and a couple of weepers. The Ted Pella blade was pretty smooth, and those whiskers of mine stood no chance whatsoever. A shout out to @Greenpike for kindly PIF'ing the blades to me.
I've got to say that I'm happy with my first shave. No doubt there is room for improvement with my technique in both pressure and finding the angle with this razor.

What convinced you to try the Gem style? This was my second shave this morning with a GEM Junior. Said I wasn't going to another blade system but @Ferret619 fixed that for me with a PIF :). Am surprised by how easy and efficient these are to drive. I could've packed up after 2 passes and I can't do that with my straights. So I'm interested in how you go with your Ever Ready as there seems still to be a few nice ones around plus the ornate handles are beautiful.

What are the Eufros balms like? I’m thinking of adding them the next order I send to Manuel.

I think this calls for a largish answer, by way of qualification I spent months researching and formulating my own balm a time back and subsequently had it manufactured at a cosmetics laboratory. It won't be coming back for general sale, but it may appear as part of the P&C LE Winter set...

Manuel Eufros balms are good, in fact excellent for hot and humid weather however out of design necessity they are missing a few really beneficial and proven compounds but contain others most notably Hyaluronic Acid and Bisabolol/Levolemol which is the main compound found in German Chamomile. They also have in addition to panthenol (an alcohol that is an analog of a vitamin), allantoin (this stuff is keratolytic - basically pumps water into the extra cellular matrix(your skin), moisturizes and also assists with desquamation - getting rid of dead skin cells). Unfortunately most of these compounds are present in negligible quantities which again is out of a design necessity given the light and readily absorbed texture... although if you were snarky and possibly rudely honest it could be pointed out there is insufficient quantities of all of these to have any measurable effect at all. In relation to a post shave balm for the day, they tick most of the boxes and are great value for money and work really well with his soaps, I use them regularly in summer.

It's not a new problem in cosmetics, it's the day (lighter, less nourishing) night (heavier and more nourishing) cream problem that comes down to chemistry and practically delivery and Manuel has spent a lot of time finding as close to a balance as you can get without effecting the rate of absorption due to the excellent but problematic lanolin, shea and so forth (it can be done, but you end up with a list of ingredients as long as your arm as you chemically push and pull oils and fats). I like his balms in summer, and for what they are they perform well in the same way The Stray Whisker After Balm performs superbly, without being in any way heavy or greasy - a combination of Eufros balm and After Balm works very well if you have the type of skin that needs the full monty after a shave.

The easiest comparison in feel and function to make with Manuels balms is to 'Dapper Dragons Scale polish' (Manuel uses EO's though, Dapper Dragon is pure fragrance oil but that is a whole other realm) in that both use Aloe Vera gel as the main ingredient which aside from it being soothing, is an excellent vehicle for many of the compounds common to both balms as the gel contains a number of extra chemicals that provide a smooth, consistent face feel,etc,etc and others that force rapid absorbtion. All things being equal the performance is near identical, no revelation there as the formulation of both balms is from the early 1990's or so when Panthenol busted out of patent constraints and began to be manufactured cheaply. Manuel employs a few more compounds, but the quantities are very, very small of most of the proven ones and Dapper has a few in there due to the inclusion of some extra oils (Jojoba

Are they the best balms ? Of course not, the design necessitates compromise so it's light and absorbs immediately. And nor can they be either while massive perfume and cosmetic companies have access to, and use the very latest compounds and proprietary compositions (AdP Balm for instance) and have teams of chemists working on formulation with fully furnished labs for testing, assays and everything else that goes with cosmetic manufacturing and a high retail price to boot.

I would definitely order some @FluffyGroodle, it's always good to have a paired set of soap and balm or splash and the product is very good. I like the airless Eufros balm tubes too, they store well and function flawlessly :)

wvlaiSo.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH2 Stainless Steel
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Shavemac ATG 2017 LE
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Ultra close shave today with the Wolfman and some wonderful Stirling lather.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.