Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a negative, he needs to stop pumping out the releases and concentrate on the perfumery because it needs a hell of a lot of work.

I have 5 of his vege soaps and the fragrances on most of them barely get across the line. I am not too fussed as it's a great performing soap which is why I bought it but if you are the type of person that gets hung up on wash-off product fragrances then I would say they are not for you.
Damn, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by wash-off product fragrance, could you explain?

I don't mind if the scent is light or don't linger past the shave as I don't actually expect any scented soap to do that. But when it seems like the soap base is almost as strong as the fragrance, doesn't smell properly developed and I'm being charged extra for it, then I do get a bit annoyed. I'll avoid buying more until I've finished off my current GD tubs, then I'll probably ask again if it's improved :).

4HGBu5H.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Feather Yellow (2)
Brush: Shavemac ATG 2017 LE
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

If you want to try out something stupid, Sunday's are probably the best day to do so. After my recent success with Feather blades in the Feather AS-D2, I had this nagging question in the back of my head: maybe Feathers are not as bad as I remembered them???

So I took the Guerrilla - normally for me a mild and smooth, yet very efficient razor - and tried it with a Feather. I even remembered, that usually the first shave with the Feather blade is the worst and so I took one, that had already one shave in it....

Well after the second pass, I should have changed the blade. Even the extremely slick and protective Stirling lather produced by the fantastic Shavemac unique knot could not save the day. A couple of nicks and a handful of weepers later, this torture shave was over - the worst part being, that it was not even really closer than with a Ladas blade.

So for me the Feather blade will only be used with a Feather razor - at least until my next stupid Sunday ;)

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday (y)

256wd44.jpg

EJ DE89 w/ Wilkinson Sword blade
RazoRock Plissoft brush
B&M Reserve Fern
APR General Ledger

First time with this blade. It was pretty smooth. No nicks or weepers.

So far I have only stuck with a 3 blades. Feather, Asco and one or two times with an Astra. Time to start trying some more. Glad I did today, the wilkinson contributed to a great shave.

Lovely shave @LukehGee and excellent soap/splash pairing :)

If you want to try out something stupid, Sunday's are probably the best day to do so. After my recent success with Feather blades in the Feather AS-D2, I had this nagging question in the back of my head: maybe Feathers are not as bad as I remembered them???

Maybe it's the wrong kind of 'metal' for you ?

:pompous:

I regularly use Feathers in my Guerilla, and I particularly enjoy shaving with them at 5.45am each day knowing my full and upmost attention to technique is required. As I often joke with @nsavage it's a great way to start the day!

@Razor Burn what's this cheap cologne like?
It's not too bad if you enjoy musk. I recently saw a YT video of one of the guys using it and he stated it was more of a classic scent from the 1970s. For the price give it ago but get the splash version as it lasts longer than the spray.

Damn, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by wash-off product fragrance, could you explain?

Any fragranced product where you 'wash it off' i.e. Shampoo, Conditioner, Shave Soap/Cream, Face Cleaners, etc.

In relation to shaving soap the fragrance is for a 'wash off' product and is basically irrelevant, the performance of the soap being paramount with the fragrancing existing only for temporary enjoyment. It has no existence beyond the shave aside from the importance it is sometimes given in wet shaving.

If after a shave people are still detecting a strong odor from the shaving soap or cream it means they have done a very poor job of washing the soap from their faces, and frankly it is very bad for their skin. Fragrance should come from the application of an Aftershave/Aftershave Balm and/or the application of an EDT/EDP.

IMG_20180304_132443-01.jpg

It's a bit harsh at times - even with the ubersmooth Gillette Stainless blade - but there is something wonderful about a 110 year old razor. The Old Style Gillette of mine gave a less than easy shave but still BBS from 3 passes with a pickup. Tim's Soap was a beautiful lather and this signature scent was my favourite of his releases.

So nice to pair Special Reserve with Havana in the post. I feel old school contentment.

dABDAeml.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 28 Boar
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Spoiler (1)
Soap: Proraso White
A/S: Proraso White

Really starting to appreciate a good boar brush. This little Vulfix works incredibly well. A shame Vulfix seem to have discontinued their Pure Boar brushes. Picked up the Slim this morning at a local market for $20.00.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Acqua Di Parma
Razor: ATT SE1 Kronos
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2)
EdT: Parfums de Marly Galloway

Very pleasant evening shave. Eased back the pressure a little, and no irritation whatsoever post-shave. Three passes for BBS.
The de Marly Galloway scent was a nice match for the ADP soap.

ytGOQdCl.jpg

Soap: Pb Max
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Ever-Ready
Blade: GEM (1)
AS: Pb Max
Zenith had some epoxy therapy last night to refix the knot but it has become a shed-o-matic so its life is limited. It has become one of my favourite brushes so when it finally gives up I'll be looking to replace it. Put together the AS for Pb Max last night as I'm a bit addicted to the scent of labdanum at the moment and even my teenage daughter (who thumbs down 98% of soaps and EOs I put under her nose) gave it the nod.

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Mondial Florence
Razor: Parker 34R
Blade: Polsilver
DFS two pass.Starting to look a bit boring seeing the Semogue in every SOTD post...same two soaps.Planning to change things a bit later in the month and I should be able to post the use of two brushes,and maybe even three soaps!! One lives with hope.

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Merkur
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Shaving Factory mug
Pre: PAA Cube
Soap: Edwin Jagger Menthol puck

A quick 2 pass DFS with the trusty 37C slant. A double hit of menthol from both soaps was extra nice and finished up nicely with the cheap balm. Have a great evening and happy shaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.