Not open for further replies.
h5s0qU0l.jpg

CF/Zoologist Nightingale Soap
Antica Barbieria Colla Boar
Pelican Strop
Daishi Tamahagane
Zoologist Nightingale

Antonio Vivaldi - Spring

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Shavemac Americana DO1
Soap/Cream:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fourgere Bourbon Rose soap
Post-shave:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fourgere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fourgere Bourbon Rose EDP

A little cool back in Canberra after a few days in Queensland - needed something a little Autumnal ...

ZnRhvzkl.jpg

Soap: Luna's Vetiver
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty (7)
Blade: Derby (1)
Nice lather from Luna's Vetiver. After watching last months efforts with one blade I had to pull out a Derby to try. I haven't touched these for ages and this shave reminded me why and shaking my head at how you get through a month on one Derby! Yes it did the job but not as smooth and efficient as some other blades. Pre this shave I was wondering how good an investment my last lot of Wizamet Polsilvers were at nearly four times the price of Derby's but now I'm thinking 'investment safe'. @Ferret619 , you talked about the Derby 'smoothing out'. How many shaves before that happens? I'll try it in another razor and see how it goes.:)

Gillette Superspeed 1953
Schick Krona-Chrome @13
LaToja Shave Stick
Gillette Wild Rain Aftershave

As I said somewhen down the road, this blade was meant to be loaded in a Superspeed. This 13th shave was so smooth, I didn't even felt the blade on my skin, the Super really gave it a new lease on life.
And a dash of Wild Rain (aka Bottled Manliness) to highlight the moment (y)

My shave yesterday was a bit different as I had "neglected" to shave and forgot I had an appointment to go to.

I have become a very dedicated night time shaver so a sharp straight and old eyes combined with less than steady hands in the AM wasn't - or maybe was going to cut it.

I used a GEM Micromatic with a fresh blade and the result from a quick single pass was a "socially acceptable shave". I am looking forward to my straight tonight though :)

Brush: Semogue 2000
Razor: Gem Micromatic Bullet tip
Soap: A new one I made recently that works very well in a skuttle.

KK5fjKJl.jpg

Cool and wet morning.Creek is rising and will be flooded in by 2pm or earlier so need to dash to town and get kids from school. Bengall shave today wasn't the best,ok but a few little nicks,including the first ever ear job.Have read about guys nicking ears and now I know,but in fairness I need to wear my glasses shaving and on the left side in that area I just cannot get focus.It is the way it is.

Date: 06 March 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto Silvertip Badger Fan Horn 30/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ Sweeney Todd
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- Rockwell 6C (R5)
Blade:- Gillette Silver Blue #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

SOTD
Olive Wood Shave Handle
Maggards 26mm Mixed Badger / Boar Knot. The knot is 2 Band Badger. Ratio 70/30
Mondial Florence Soap
Gillette Fat Boy 58 (3)
Gillette Super Stainless.

The process of mating the Handle & Knot was done over 3 days
The Brush Knot was washed twice in Da Vinci soap each time time allowed to dry
It has now been used twice.

The current result from today's shave is it is quite noticeable the Boar aspect of the hair in the knot, at this stage a little prickly but certainly not uncomfortable.
It will get softer. The generating of making lather is as normal as any brush I have no issues there. I found the coverage of each pass (3) plenty full from the initial loading of the brush and only once needed to add a dash of water to the brush directly. It's difficult to rate at this stage and would rather be unfair to, allow a few more goes first. Certainly overall the brush setup conforms and works well the handle notable is excellent for those with larger hands the comfort zone is extremely good, in fact excellent I'd say.

Now the cost overall, Knot AUD$32.00 (apprx) Handle AUD$15.48 (apprx) + Epoxy say $10.00 so cheap or not it's really dependent on your budget and own thinking on the matter. But a satisfying outcome, priceless.

C7F1XhL.jpg

Brush: Omega Boar

Blade: Astra SP (plenty of recommendations for it as a first blade)

Razor: Standard Razors

Soap: Osma Rasage Soap (yesterday trial run was with Proraso Red)

I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised that I have managed my first two DE shaves and didn’t come close to slicing off a cheek once.

Also quite happy with the result both times, no worse than with my old Shick Hydro, although probably not much better. Let’s see what some practice and hopefully eventual skill/improves technique brings.

Pre-shave: C&F The Pre Shave
Razor: iKon SBS
Blade: Astra
Brush: Super Badger travel brush (not sure of the brand, purchased form the OneBlade website, but think that it is fairly generic)
Soap/Cream:
D.R.Harris, Marlborough
Post-shave:
Jojoba oil

It's only the second time that I have used this brush so am still getting rid of the animal smell, but I have found that it works excellently for bowl lathering. I really love the Marlborough scent, tobacco and leather, plus I used to work in a town called Marlborough so more reasons to love it. It also lathers really really well. As for the razor, I have taken some time getting used to this razor, but the more I use it, the more fond of it I am becoming. I have found that it works best when I've got a few days growth. I use the more aggressive side of the plate for the first pass and then switch to the more mild side. After 3 passes I got a DFS. I had to clean up around the chin area. The head is heavy and big, so is a bit cumbersome around the top lip.

All in all time well spent.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Shavemac Americana DO1
Soap/Cream:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fourgere Bourbon Rose soap
Post-shave:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fourgere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fourgere Bourbon Rose EDP

Lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies.