Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
l8xg9.jpg

What is the scent profile like with the Fougere? Usually that word is enough to for me to try.

I really tried to love Fresca. After 2 uses the scent turned me off and made me feel ill, its upsetting as the soap is quality and worked well.

j3FRvI9l.jpg

Brush: PAA, Atomic Rocket
Soap: Squadron, Red Lead
Razor: Mamba
Blade : Astra SP

First use of the Mamba, I was expecting mild and it is certainly that, really need to find the right angle. Very smooth and three passes for a DFS. I think next time out it will be with a Feather.​

New Shave Bowl - Maiden shave tonight must say the slight ribbing in the inner bowl made a big difference for me used a bead of Acqua Di Parma Shave Cream about the length of a circumference of a 10c piece and it lathered up faster than any other time. well impressed for $3 bowl
FyNCkSy.jpg

What is the scent profile like with the Fougere? Usually that word is enough to for me to try.

I really tried to love Fresca. After 2 uses the scent turned me off and made me feel ill, its upsetting as the soap is quality and worked well.

Ok bare with me here as I stumble my way through a description.

So there is that Fern/grassy "body" to it, but behind that there is like a vanillary (but not vanilla) scent that makes it feel warm and smooth. And when you pick that up the grassiness goes to the background. I don't get the "smokiness" that is in the notes though.

But yeah I loved it!

Hope that helps!!!

Last edited:
Celebratory shave this evening..... rec'd a promotion at work today :)

Went with the Timeless tonight ~ I'd forgotten what a fantastically smooth clean shave it provides! 2 pass XTG, Mike's Lime, Astra, Maseto Beehive and Dickinson's did me proud! No nicks, cuts or weepers to report.

I've decided to let the Timeless do what it does second best and develop a patina.... tbh I can't be @rsed cleaning, polishing and protecting it even though I have a large tub of Ren wax sitting on the same shelf ~ I bought it for shaving (based on the excellent reviews) and that's all I'll be doing with it from now on.

You can clearly see how the patina has developed with the razor sitting in the stand, it'll be hung up on my stand from now on so the finish develops evenly along the full length of the handle.

CUcaHqCl.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Mike's Lime
Razor: ATT SE1 Kronos
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (4)
EdT: Dior Eau Sauvage

All the talk about the new Mike's soap tubs prompted me to dig out some of this excellent soap from the Den. Lovely slick lather, and a lovely natural lime scent.
Three passes and touch-up for BBS, which seems to the norm rather than the exception with the ATT SE1 matched with Schick P-30 blades. A small weeper on the chin was the only blemish to an otherwise great shave.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (4)
Brush: Simpson LE 19/150 Jubilee shaving brush
Soap/Cream:
Aqua di Palma Colonia shaving cream
Aftershave: Aqua di Palma Colonia aftershave
Fragrance: Aqua di Palma Colonia Eau de Cologne

nrwTCfXl.jpg

Soap: APR Bay City
Brush: Omega Boar Italian
Razor: Gillette 109 Black Beauty
Blade: Dorco ST-301 (1)
Still recovering from virus and working around cold sore but very nice shave considering. Loving the Bay City this morning.(y):)
@RustyBlade Very happy with the Dorco ST-301. Couldn't really fault it. Probably not as efficient as the Polsilvers but I'm guessing I could whack one of these in any of my DE's and it would shave well. I'd easily rate it better than Voskhod or Derby:). So are the STP-301 better again? I guess I'm going to have to buy another 100 blades to find out.:whistle:

@Pbgoose PM and I'll PIF you some.
nrwTCfXl.jpg

Soap: APR Bay City
Brush: Omega Boar Italian
Razor: Gillette 109 Black Beauty
Blade: Dorco ST-301 (1)
Still recovering from virus and working around cold sore but very nice shave considering. Loving the Bay City this morning.(y):)
@RustyBlade Very happy with the Dorco ST-301. Couldn't really fault it. Probably not as efficient as the Polsilvers but I'm guessing I could whack one of these in any of my DE's and it would shave well. I'd easily rate it better than Voskhod or Derby:). So are the STP-301 better again? I guess I'm going to have to buy another 100 blades to find out.:whistle:

IMG_20180309_063540-01.jpg

The Gillette 40s bakelite comes out again. Just such an accomplished razer AND it was a WW2 presentation piece. Lightning Ridge is a lovely dry scent. A nice change up. It doesn't pair well with Mankind EdT so thankfully I didn't spray much before the discovery. BBS in three passes.

kmgKoZ4l.jpg

No "Faux Futur Friday" today as used the Mingshi yesterday. DFS today with the Bengall.The edge seems to be smoothing out and enjoyed a steady and sure two passes.Stropping is getting better,haven't nicked the leather for a while now and have settled into a rhythm for the laps so will be looking at acquiring a nice new strop later in year.And a new straight,not vintage or pre owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.