Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, stick it back in. :cautious:
The whole knot or most of the fibres?
If knot a small amount (small pea) of silicon (no gaps/bathroom) sealant will do.(y)
Yeah I will... I’m sure I have some epoxy left from when my high mountain badger knot fell out..

25700227628_e9787d3b7d_z.jpg

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy - revamp by North Shore Razor
Blade: Personna Blue
Brush: Vintage Victoria best badger
Soap: Artesano by Luna Mango Lime & Menthol
Fragrance: Ermenegildo Zegna Acqua di Bergamotto EDT

2 consecutive days of 40 degree weather in Sydney...loaded up on as much menthol with my shave as possible :cool:

Yeah I will... I’m sure I have some epoxy left from when my high mountain badger knot fell out..

Gee whiz - what are you doing to them!

Razor:Supply v2 (aggressive plate)
I remember you were having troubles with the Supply v2 (as was I).
I have been having much better results since moving to the mild plate.
Are you happier with the aggressive plate?

I remember you were having troubles with the Supply v2 (as was I).
I have been having much better results since moving to the mild plate.
Are you happier with the aggressive plate?
Honestly I put it on the shelf and let it be since we last spoke.
I I find all the the plates to be acceptable really but I’m underwhelmed by them all.
I’m working on it

How are you going with it

Thanks mate. Chairman of our board at work. Suddenly had a massive heart attack while exercising last week. He was only in his later 60s - you just never know...
A previous boss of mine (great guy), used to pull 80 hours a week, always took on the tough fights and never took holidays. He ended up having a Stroke at his desk in his mid-forties.
He then spent the next 3 months re-learning how to walk.
Fortunately, he's doing much better now - we catch up regularly.

My current boss seems to be following the same path and I fear for his well-being.

I'm known for doing long hours too.
But, I come home and hug my 3yo daughter and I want to make sure I'm here to see her grow up.

Brush: Omega
Razor: RR Mamba
Blade: Astra Green
Pre: Hot water
Soap: EJ Menthol

A quick CCS with the Mamba. Loving the great SOTD artwork you guys keep coming up with. Really need to get myself a better camera and use my imagination :bookworm: Happy shaves!

38687846115_e62e9f0eac_b.jpg

Soap: Kaolin Pimento Silk vs Pimento Silk
Brush: Omega 10083 Boar
Razor: TI Rose
Nice shave with the TI this morning but I was actually more focused on the soap so I can populate my spreadsheet (sad I know but essential). @borked You were absolutely right, the Pimento Silk formula is better than the Kaolin Pimento Silk. I had changed base formula between batches and didn't take as much notice of that as the addition of clay. So the clay didn't compensate for loss of performance in base formulation. I still like what clay brings to the party but I don't see it as 100% essential so I like it in some of my soaps. I think clay is more helpful (or at least I like the feel of) when using a straight razor but again not essential as is demonstrated in this instance (non clay soap wins).:)

IMG_20180109_142452-01.jpg

Today's shave was my first highly mentholated "glacial" one and I do have to say... BEAUTIFUL. I was worried when the menthol was so strong on the first pass but it never got too much for my eyes. Great cooling and a great albeit synthetic lemon scent too. The menthol level does seem to change the base's lather qualities a little and it required a stronger load than my normal Stirling method. I'm no balm guy but tried it. Nothing too exciting until I got my Borked AS on after. Mmm. Love this fruity baby.

I'd been saving my face for this BST acquisition and my 3 days growth became a BBS after 3 and a bit passes.

Summer shave today.
after a shower I put a new feather blade on the merggard 42 c, and loaded the semogue 2000 generously on the APR Coeur de Vert tub (maybe my next to finish soap!). Followed by APR Lighting ridge splash, and one hour afterwards, the Fresca EdP.
I enjoy more the semogue brush that the yaqui for making lather, but i reckon the lather is better with the chinese synthetic.... Still need more work on it

Omega / Charcoal Goods Basic SB head / Mingshi Blade / Wolfpac Ice / Barber Shoppe balm

Long over due shave with the Charcoal Goods Basic head and what a pleasant surprise :happy: Modelled on the EJ DE89 head design but more akin to the Merkur 34C in aggression. I experienced a very enjoyable shave with the odd nick due to the poor blade selection :dead: It was easy to find the correct angle with each gentle stroke slicing through my coarse stubble with great ease. Lots of audible feedback and minor blade feel but a great alternative head for those seeking their fist DE razor (y) Slight critcism being the annoying blade over hang but overall a great razor head. Really loving that Wolfpac soap as well :cool: Happy shaves guys!

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (13)
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lightning Ridge EDP

Time for a new blade me thinks, will do some changes for tomorrow.

Interesting day flying yesterday - delayed going out of Sydney in the morning because of the storms, beautiful day weather wise through the day and back into Sydney, then stuck on he tarmac for 3/4 hour while the evening storm passed!

Status
Not open for further replies.