Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best described as Honer in Training. It shaved but picked the worst str8 in the den to start with because bevel is definitely out on one side.
When honing the razor was gripping and cutting nicely on one side and a greasy slide on the other. Hone marks were so deep looked like someone had taken to it with a bench grinder.
Also have a blunt Bengall to practice with, just want to clean and polish that up first while it's nice and blunt.
Negotiating a few Naniwa's with @bald as. Enjoying the process. Very therapeutic and gives me something to whittle away at while the rest of the family watch TV
You should be getting some good advice from @bald as (y)
Glad you’re enjoying the process. I also find honing therapeutic though sometimes frustrating but very rewarding when you get an edge right. @bald as did an edge on one of my Bengalls with his Jnat and it was magic.

[URL=http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/statman2/media/5A1A600B-0E14-4276-A6B0-FCD732884451_zpsslkf6bk9.jpg.html][/URL]
SOTD SUNDAY MAY 10, 2020

It’s a beautiful sunny, but cold day here in the Philly suburbs. It’s day two with the newly acquired Ronson Safety Razor. Since it’s single edge Sunday, it’s more than appropriate for me to continue my Ronson shave journey. Today my focus is on the dome, since I experienced two minor set down errors there during yesterday’s shave. The Ronson performed beautifully on my mug during that shave, but it’s the noggin that’s my focus today.

The Ronson weighs in at roughly 78 grams and most of that weight is concentrated in the head. The 2 5/8” handle is shorter than I’m used to, and yesterday I shaved with my grip just below the oversized head on this razor. That grip worked beautifully on the mug, but not so much on the dome. So today I tried gripping the end of the handle, which is the way I shave the dome with my Gems.

After my shower and iced water rinse, I whipped up a generous, thick and shiny lather with my Alpha Shaving 26mm two band badger T-400 Tribute brush. The Fine Snake Bite lather was surprisingly slick and delightfully cooling on both face and head. The new grip took a bit of getting used to, but worked beautifully in letting the weighty head of this razor do the shaving work on the dome. I gripped the razor just below the head as I do yesterday for the mug scrape.

The change-up worked well on the noggin. That sharp Schick Proline Injector blade mowed through the stubble with the new adjusted grip like a broom through dust, sweeping everything cleanly away. I found that the key to success was short careful strokes which worked particularly well ATG on the back of the dome. Bending forward over the sink allowed the razor head’s weight to do the job bloodlessly for the most part. I did reopen yesterday’s nick on the back of the dome, but only because I purposefully overshaved that area. Great shave overall, BBS on the face and DFS+++ on the dome. Another two pass(WTG, ATG) shave leaving me feeling clean, cool, smooth and ready to face the day.

RAZOR: Ronson Safety Razor
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
PREP: Ice water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Knot
SOAP: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Iced water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

49878559413_d8b6d8ca10_b.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: EverReady "E-bar" SE razor
Blade: GEM SE blade (2)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch EDP

The EverReady "E-Bar", made in the 1930s in the UK, England, and the same design as the GEM "G-bar" but without a "G" stamped on the handle

SOTD161204 by Mark Spencer, on Flickr

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Body Shop synthetic
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Group Captain's Blend
Razor: Rockwell 6C Gunmetal (R3)
Blade: Astra Superior
Post-shave: Alum and moisturiser

My new kit decided to all drop on my doorstep at the same time, so I couldn't wait to jump in the shower and kick off a shave with the new gear.

The 6C is a vast improvement over my DE89, although I think I'll jump up to the R4 or R5 plate for tomorrow's shave. I got pretty close to a two pass BBS though.
Group Captain's Blend from @SchoolForAnts / Sqaudron Soap is fantastic, smells exactly like I remember my dad's pipe smelling - I also think of the World War 2 briefing rooms filled with smoke, maps and officers planning and scheming for the next sortie. Cheers @Rabid Badger for the heads up on the scent.

My new kit decided to all drop on my doorstep at the same time, so I couldn't wait to jump in the shower and kick off a shave with the new gear.

The 6C is a vast improvement over my DE89, although I think I'll jump up to the R4 or R5 plate for tomorrow's shave. I got pretty close to a two pass BBS though.
Group Captain's Blend from @SchoolForAnts / Sqaudron Soap is fantastic, smells exactly like I remember my dad's pipe smelling - I also think of the World War 2 briefing rooms filled with smoke, maps and officers planning and scheming for the next sortie. Cheers @Rabid Badger for the heads up on the scent.
my pleasure, did you get the matching splash?

Date:- 11 May 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Original
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Gillette Nacet #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Pre: Hot towel
Razor: Wolfman WR2, SB 0.95 Gap, WRH7 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-6867.jpg
[/url]

had the same setup starting with the DE89 > next move was the 6C... dont be afraid with any of the plates, take each one on in order and keep your touch light (y)

yU07UAAl.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Pb Pimento Silk
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: Friodur Henckels 11V hollowed wedge
AS: Pb Pimento Silk
I've been searching for the 11V for a few weeks and glad to find it. Not my favourite straight but a good faithful performer w/ it's own unique feel.

Brush: Yaqi 30 mm // Proraso (Omega) boar
Razor: Karve Brass SB (D plate) + WCS brass handle // Italian Barber Game Changer .84P
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Bowl: Pereira Shaving bowl
Pre: Shower
Soap: APR General Ledger
Post: Stirling Soap Co. Unscented balm // APR Bay City Splash // P&B Imperial Rum solid cologne

The last couple of shaves have been simple yet highly enjoyable. The 30 mm synth is great at whipping up creamy lather but I also enjoy the backbone of the boar with equally great results. Grabbed some APR and General Ledger is such a pleasant scent I had to pair it with my favourite bay rum post shaves, with high praise from the misses and the unscented balm works fantastically in hydrating the skin. The razors were a toss up with both offering an efficient shave with the GC .84P slightly edging it for smoothness thanks largely to the GSB blade. Looking forward to what tomorrow brings...? Happy shaves!

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Omega 11047 - Mini Mixed Badger & Boar Bristle
Soap: Squadron - Scramble
Razor: PILS
Blade: Gillette Rubie (1)
Aftershave: Squadron - Scramble
vKOdBE1.jpg

Trialing PILS and Rubie this week. After 1 week with GC I would rate the Rubie between GSB and Nacet. Firmer than Nacet and sharper than GSB.
Loaded enough for 4 x passes on the mini mixed badger so just goes to show size does not matter if you load the brush properly.
Squadron delivered as always. It is a lightly sweet scent with notes of bergamot, tonka bean, cardamom, vanilla bourbon and allspice but I smell pineapples :unsure:

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: EverReady "E-bar" SE razor
Blade: GEM SE blade (3)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch EDP

Third day using this razor, first day I picked it up and it was all intuitive. It does normally take me two / three days with a new razor to get a feel for it. I think that this is a good reminder of what it was like when we first started with DE/SE/wetshaving. Nice to have that sense of "flow" back again today though!

Status
Not open for further replies.