Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke on the phone the other day with @Pbgoose about an experimental hot process soap I made with a short black coffee from my machine and 40% Kokum butter as the main oil in the blend. Extraordinary lather but expensive to make. Kokum butter is now a premium ingredient. The coffee adds a small amount of aroma. I mixed Cedarwood as the essential oil. The lather is actually light brown.
@bald as good to see you are still innovating and finding new interests in the art of wet shaving

Never heard or seen that before. Awesome SOTD. Gripy when wet.. ingenious.

... and it IS grippy when wet too! I'm amazed every time I use it.

8-C7-D4-B34-F37-F-46-E6-B828-9-DE2-C4-F85-A45.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Blue Devil Co Tropical Colada
Razor: Pearl Flexi
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow

1 use does not mean mastery. Got cocky on my 2nd shave with the Pearl Flexi and got bit. That said, ATG and buffing on 1 & 2 gave BBS-.

Good morning shavers. Nice to see new faces :) on the forum. Hope everyone has been "acquiring" needed sharp implements and having a good time.
I spoke on the phone the other day with @Pbgoose about an experimental hot process soap I made with a short black coffee from my machine and 40% Kokum butter as the main oil in the blend. Extraordinary lather but expensive to make. Kokum butter is now a premium ingredient. The coffee adds a small amount of aroma. I mixed Cedarwood as the essential oil. The lather is actually light brown.
I used this soap for last night's shave with my straight and it was very good. Smooth and the skin feel after was great.
Freshly honed blade on my Japanese Kita.
My new soap and of course a brush.
Steve

Great to see you back @bald as (y)

And you know how it goes: PIC or it didn't happen :D

Pre-shave: Shower, Proraso White
Brush: Tony Forsyth 24mm Badger
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven - Fig & Brown Sugar
Razor: Karve CB (C-SB)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Black SP (6)
Post-shave: Cold Water Splash, Alum, TSW After Balm

Happy Birthday to me, had a shave and went out for dinner.
Many happy returns @gabba32 !!!

Last edited:
IMG-20210628-220728.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24mm AP Shave Co. SynBad fan
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Gillette Red & White Stainless (25) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Winterfall
Post: Nivea 2 Phase A/S :eek:tion + Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

25th shave with this razor/blade and surprisingly still going strong, although not BBS on my chin which is a pain to get right.

The brush managed to whip up some slick lather with my estimations showing a week more of shaves before this soap is all gone. A shame seeing how AP Reserve is seemingly no more but luckily I still have other wintery scents to tide me over.

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Not much of a SOTD guy but I will try my best.

Pre: Hot shower
Soap: APR/Storybook Soapworks Fresca Intensa
Razor: FRAM
Brush: CRV Resin & Olive wood
AS: Saponificio Varesino 70th

dgnXqwY.jpg

I rarely get this APR soap for a spin anymore because I just don't want to finish it. For me, it is hands down the best citrus scent ever to be found on a shaving soap and, considering the likelihood of my getting my hands on another tub are slim, I use it scarcely. What a luscious, luxurious soap this is....

The razor, well, it's a Solingen razor, one of C. Friedrich Katz & Co.'s brands. The blade arrived in excellent conditions, as you can see, very little work to be done on it, but the scales were unusable. I decided to fix the lady with only my second par of scales ever. I decided to try my hand at beveled scales, sans power tools. I had to fix myself a wooden tool to keep the bevel angle even and all it took was a progression of wet/dry sandpaper, loads of elbow grease, quite a few cuppas and, possibly, some alcohol, can't remember. Kinda like the result. It is a darned good blade also but, seriously, has anyone ever come across a bad Solingen?

dgnXqwY.jpg

The scales were made in black, translucent Perspex and the spacer is made of cow bone (not fancy, but the guy across the hall is a butcher so there's that). Brass collars and steel pins for this one, not very sure I like it now but it did seem a decent idea back then.

Hope you enjoy your evening down there!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.