Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was unaware that Yaqi had planned on releasing a Vector clone and call me a hypocrite as I own a few of their products but will be hesitant making any future purchases as a sign of solidarity for the hard yards Shane @Blacklands put in to perfect his SE razor. As tempting as it would be to test one out for a grasp of what the Vector might be like I will happily save my hard earned $$$ and support innovators as opposed to lazy companies that feel its OK to blatantly rip off a successful design and justify this by making it in a cheaper metal! (n):muted:

Another reason why I'm reluctant to try the recent Pearl Flex no matter the good reviews or price point!
Right now, you can score a Vector for just AU$257 (I paid more), which is a lot less than a Wolfperson or a Sex Ambassador. For the quality, it's a small price to pay, especially since it's a razor I'll never give up.

Edit: I still like Yaqi brushes, they're just great value brushes. No IP issues to tread on there... (y)

Last edited:
H-SOTD (13.03.21)

Pre-shave: Neutrogena - Hydroboost cleanser
Brush: Grizzly Bay - with Fanchurian V9 knot
Soap: B&M - Le Grand Chepre
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Wilkinson Blue (Shave #1)@
Post-shave: Welda - Skinfood light

CCAAE75-B-8-D71-4-C33-B407-036-B1-CE0-E9-ED.jpg

Another great shave!

Really enjoying these blades. Not as sharpe as a feather - but more surgical than an Astra.

Any recommendations on similar (but readily available) blades?

Have loved using the Grizzly Bay brush - but am super excited about the Fluro Lime Timber Resin brush that @Tony Forsyth posted this week. Hoping it arrives by Tuesday ready for the next head shave :0)

C

Last edited:
H-SOTD (13.03.21)

Pre-shave: Neutrogena - Hydroboost cleanser
Brush: Grizzly Bay - with Fanchurian V9 knot
Soap: B&M - Le Grand Chepre
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Wilkinson Blue (Shave #1)@
Post-shave: Welda - Skinfood light

CCAAE75-B-8-D71-4-C33-B407-036-B1-CE0-E9-ED.jpg

Another great shave!

Really enjoying these blades. Not as sharpe as a feather - but more surgical than an Astra.

Any recommendations on similar (but readily available) blades?

Have loved using the Grizzly Bay brush - but am super excited about the Fluro Lime Timber Resin brush that @Tony Forsyth posted this week. Hoping it arrives by Tuesday ready for the next head shave :0)

C

Aghh, so your the lucky person receiving it.:)
You will enjoy it, one of the very last.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- SOC Mistura Mixed Badger/Boar Cherry Wood
Soap:- Mike's Natural - Barbershop
Razor:- Boker
Strop:- DC Blades Kangaroo

jKSSkON.jpg
hey mate, the clear/black handled brush in the centre at the top of the pic - I have the same brush I'm sure with either a boar or synthetic knot - do you know anything about them? nice pic btw!

G2J1ndw.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Soap: Boellis Panama 1924
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Super Iridium BN-84 (4)

Glorious lather from one of my absolute favourite soaps, Boellis Panama. Three effortless passes and a few final buffs for a BBS result.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C 2019 Charity Auction shaving brush
Soap/Cream: SV 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Vintage (rhodium replated) Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (4)
Post-shave: APR Acqua di Sydney splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio EDC

Not exactly a summer day here in Canberra - but at least I have a brush from @Tony Forsyth to whip up the lather with!

NYMfL4Ql.jpg

Brush: Yaqi - 28mm Betelguese
Soap/Cream: Ethos - Melange d'agrumes
Razor: Karve CB - SB (F)
Blade: Personna - Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Ethos - Melange d'agrumes skin food splash / Lucky Tiger- face moisturiser

2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS.

I have been running behind on my posts, this shave was from a few days ago.
I will post my current SOD tonight starting my TF Customs shave brush week.

The Soap, Ethos - Melange d'agrumes. Scent strength light to medium for both soap and splash. Scent notes, Red Grapefruit, Pink Grapefruit, White Grapefruit, Yuzu, may chang.

This is a very soft soap, almost a cream, different to the other Ethos soap I have, equally enjoyable. Not overpowering on the scent just a nice fresh grapefruit forward scent, with the may chang (litsea) adding a lemon note from its floral origin. The splash has the same matching scent profile.

A nice citrus scent that doesn't have a particularly long staying power, and would pair well with any citrus summer scent. (y)

RAZOR: Comoy of London 6/8"
CREAM: TOBS Rose
BRUSH: Frank Shave Best Badger knot
STROP: Dovo double sided hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: CK Eternity

ufO0xee.jpg

A tester from TOBS in the PIF today. A strong beautiful rose scent, but the soap had hardened (at least compared to the TOBS Grapefruit croap) and didn't perform as well as the Grapefruit, but still a good shave.

hey mate, the clear/black handled brush in the centre at the top of the pic - I have the same brush I'm sure with either a boar or synthetic knot - do you know anything about them? nice pic btw!

Hi @chilliman64 this was an early purchase from @Substance. I was looking for vintage brush and soaps and he kindly offered an unused mug of Old Spice and this reknotted vintage Klenxo lucite. It's a nice brush, one of my favourite badger knots (not too dense or splayed) and the square design with ribs is unusual but also very ergonomic. I see quite a few of these vintage clear lucite brushes (Klenzo and Ever Ready) on the bay and reknotted on BST threads. I am tempted to pickup one of the other uncommon shapes like pentagonal

Tonight shave

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Nectar Amissa
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Feather #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Tipple- Ardbeg 10yrs old

Fair enough, but that's unlikely to happen given that all those SE razors are designed to take particular advantage of the thickness (and therefore stiffness) of the AC blade.
Have you seen the plan for ATT to release a slant SE razor? Not sure if the thickness of the blade will allow much torquing to take place. It's called the X1.

Last few shaves

1.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Blue & Gold 30mm Tuxedo 2019 P&C Charity Auction
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Pre: Shower
Soap: A&G Soapworks Vanilla, Patchouli & Sandalwood
Post: AP Reserve Lavioletta A/S Splash // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

2.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Clear/Black/Yellow 26mm 2 Band Finest
Post: AP Reserve Lavioletta A/S Splash // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

3.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Green Swirls & Transparent 27mm Rhodium Silvertip
Head: Headblade Moto
Soap: Cella Red
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS

Last few shaves

1.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Blue & Gold 30mm Tuxedo 2019 P&C Charity Auction

2.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Clear/Black/Yellow 26mm 2 Band Finest

3.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Green Swirls & Transparent 27mm Rhodium Silvertip
Head: Headblade Moto
Soap: Cella Red
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS

Awesome brushes, and now true classics.

Brush: TF Customs - P&C Charity Auction 2020 Ivory 24mm 2 band finest
Soap/Cream: Strike Gold Shave - La Befana.
Razor: Feather - Artist Club SS Scotch wood
Blade: Schick - Proline (13)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Massacre of the Innocents AS splash / A&E skin food

2 pass WTG, ATG = DFS+. Didn't want to push the BBS as I wanted to shave again tommorow. All left handed shave, super concentration. These Proline blades are really nice.

The soap, Strike Gold Shave - La Befana. Scent strength medium to strong off the puck and medium once lathered. Scent notes lavender, lemon, bergamot, orange, cinnamon, cashmerian, jasmine, honey, tonka bean, tobacco, vanilla.

This soaps scent is a take on Xerjoff Naxos 1861. I cannot recall trying this scent so I cannot comment on how the soap compares to the EDP. In reading the original Naxos 1861 scent notes it appears Strike Gold shave have added orange on top of the already present bergamot. Strange but anyway, the scent to me opens with the lavender and light citrus notes, while the honey dominates the middle note over the cinnamon and florals, the vanilla and tonka bean make their presence known in the base notes with the cashmeran cementing the entire fragrance together. Great choice using the cashmeran for some woody, musky, spicey notes. I didn't pickup the tobacco in the scent at all.

A warm, powdery, spicey, fresh, accord, very light on the citrus, most likely Unisex fragrance, probably best suited for colder weather. Reminds me of Penhaligans Sartorial, in which the scent I really enjoy in shave soap format, but a bit too powdery for my liking to wear outside the house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.