Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soap: Barrister & Mann - The Full Measure of Man

BM TFMOM was a FOMO purchase for me. I'm not really into these dark scented soaps and this one is basically in the same group as Hallows and Leviathan. Kind of musty leather with maple syrup, I was wondering where the tobacco was, and it showed up when I was washing the brush out in warm water, the scent of dried tobacco leaf sort of bloomed out from there. I don't usually lather with warm water, but I may do it with the soap next time, see if I can get the tobacco to show up again.
I had a sample of this soap from a friend of mine, asking me to give some feedback about this most weirdest funky scent I’ve ever smelled. I couldn’t even get a very clear picture from the scent profiles at all, because, it’s such a weird soft deep masculine funky smell.

I couldn’t even picture it as a musty leather with maple syrup scent, since I went to the website to get the scent profiles, I couldn’t even smell each of the scent profiles at all not even one scent or more. It’s so FUNKY!!! and it’s not very strong in your face, the strength from the soap is about 3 or 4 no where higher in your face or face lathering.

However I don’t mind the smell of this soap, I kinda like it, just don’t want to get another tub into my den.

I had a sample of this soap from a friend of mine, asking me to give some feedback about this most weirdest funky scent I’ve ever smelled. I couldn’t even get a very clear picture from the scent profiles at all, because, it’s such a weird soft deep masculine funky smell.

I couldn’t even picture it as a musty leather with maple syrup scent, since I went to the website to get the scent profiles, I couldn’t even smell each of the scent profiles at all not even one scent or more. It’s so FUNKY!!! and it’s not very strong in your face, the strength from the soap is about 3 or 4 no where higher in your face or face lathering.

However I don’t mind the smell of this soap, I kinda like it, just don’t want to get another tub into my den.

Mousse de Saxe is most likely the scent your describing.
I too have a sample of this soap and although I appreciate the mousse de saxe, I wasn't a fan of the overall scent scent profile. B&M have so many dark noted soaps,( leviathon, hallows, lavanille, beudelaire, lyssa, fouguere gothic, list goes on, ) similar to this and few with mousse de saxe in them. Mousse de saxe is defiantly not everyones cup of tea, its a acquired taste.

To me this was another just another soap, similar to what DG had been doing with their winter scents changing one scent note to be different to the next soap released. The promise of added tobacco being a prominent scent note, what a fizzer that was. As @Bicep123 mentioned, the tobacco was very lacking and hardly got a whiff of it.

the tobacco was very lacking and hardly got a whiff of it.

So the vanilla and resins together probably was interpreted as maple syrup to my nose. Mousse de Saxe added the musty leather element. That heady aroma of dry tobacco leaf, when you smell a freshly opened cigar, was sadly missing. You get a whiff of it when you add hot water to wash the brush out, but it's not enough to call this soap tobacco forward at all. Someone talk me out of buying Mammoth Soaps Tobacconist. I'd rather not be disappointed again.

Someone talk me out of buying Mammoth Soaps Tobacconist. I'd rather not be disappointed again.
No. Not gonna talk you out of it because it’ll be ripper. Pro tip. It’s releasing only direct on HoM site this week, but in a few months will be in retailers. Perfect timing for the cooler weather here!

Mousse de Saxe is most likely the scent your describing.
I too have a sample of this soap and although I appreciate the mousse de saxe, I wasn't a fan of the overall scent scent profile. B&M have so many dark noted soaps,( leviathon, hallows, lavanille, beudelaire, lyssa, fouguere gothic, list goes on, ) similar to this and few with mousse de saxe in them. Mousse de saxe is defiantly not everyones cup of tea, its a acquired taste.

To me this was another just another soap, similar to what DG had been doing with their winter scents changing one scent note to be different to the next soap released. The promise of added tobacco being a prominent scent note, what a fizzer that was. As @Bicep123 mentioned, the tobacco was very lacking and hardly got a whiff of it.
I’ve still got plenty of sample leftover from the B&M The Full Measure of Man, going to give this soap another crack during winter season.

Thoughts on the Lupo 95?
I can verify B&B members across the pond are justified in selling their GC-84.P after receiving a Lupo95
The SS Lupo 95 is smoother and more efficient. If you have a predilection towards Game Changer, Apollo style razors the Lupo will impress.
Don't think I'll sell the GC just yet :)

I can verify B&B members across the pond are justified in selling their GC-84.P after receiving a Lupo95
The SS Lupo 95 is smoother and more efficient. If you have a predilection towards Game Changer, Apollo style razors the Lupo will impress.
Don't think I'll sell the GC just yet :)
Bookmarked for a future purchase! ;)

2DPiITc.jpg

WEDNESDAY ‌SOTD
Gillette ‘53 Y2 President / Astra Green
Frank Shaving 24mm Silvertip Badger
TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream
TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave

VKVHkAll.jpg

Soap: Pb Green Parrot
Brush: Omega 10019
Razor: 'Damascus'
AS: Pb Green Parrot
Back in the land of plugs. I actually carried around a shower rose for a number of years as there was a couple of motels I stayed at that used those water saving heads which when calcified were flat out delivering enough water for a shower. Don't have that problem as much now so the shower rose found a permanent home in my new bathroom in the shed where we'll be camping whilst the house is being renovated.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: Vintage (rhodium replated) Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (4)
Post-shave: APR Fenchurch splash
Fragrance: APR Fenchurch EDP

Yep, it IS that good ...

RAZOR: Comoy of London 6/8"
CREAM: Colonel Conc Almond
BRUSH: Maggards Best Badger knot
STROP: Dovo double sided hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: CK Escape
lXwCM61.jpg

I tried Colonel Conc's Bayrum and was disappointed, plus I don't like almond odours so I had low hopes for this shave. Turned out great, the soap isn't as good as others but is was an OK shave. Now I have to re-try the Bayrum!

2.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Zingari Man "The Explorer" (sample)
Razor: Razorock Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5

Over the next few weeks, you'll be seeing a lot of samples in my SOTDs, and they are all here thanks to the generosity of @Wilkshire13. Since I don't have the perfumer's vocabulary to describe it, I'll just say this Zingari Man sample is a fantastic start, a lovely scent and a great soap. Likely one for the shopping list next year.

Had a bit of trouble with the first pass, as I had lost track of how many shaves my blade had done. A quick change of blade, and everything was right with the world again.

Over the next few weeks, you'll be seeing a lot of samples in my SOTDs, and they are all here thanks to the generosity of @Wilkshire13. Since I don't have the perfumer's vocabulary to describe it, I'll just say this Zingari Man sample is a fantastic start, a lovely scent and a great soap. Likely one for the shopping list next year.

My pleasure @Gargravarr :) I can't recommend Zingari Man enough, the performance, once you have the lather dialled in, is excellent (y)

If everyone else could just ignore my atrocious handwriting, that would be sweet :D It's a small lid and I only have a thick texta :ROFLMAO:

Last couple of Shaves

IMG-20210324-222641.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes 24mm Silvertip
Razor: Maggard V3A + MR11 handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Squadron Soaps Dispatch Rider
Post: Nivea 2 Phase Post Shave Lotion // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented Balm
WTG, ATG, XTG, Touchups = DFS

Super busy week but enjoyable shaves with some milder shavers and for whatever reason the Nacet just wouldn't shave my chin area evenly but luckily no burn nor nicks???
Making slow progress with this soap as a large doughnut has formed with hopes of finally finishing it it all up by end of next week... :unsure:

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Making slow progress with this soap as a large doughnut has formed with hopes of finally finishing it it all up by end of next week... :unsure:
Good luck with that. I think there's some sort of rule that says you can maybe get 20-30 shaves before you get a doughnut, and from there you get at least as many again. Especially if you end up chasing it around the tub. Sometimes I cheat and cut the doughnut into segments with my scooping implement (an old fishing licence cut in two) and smoosh those on the bottom of my bowl :sneaky:

PRE: Soap Bloom
RAZOR: iKon ShaveCraft Tech 104
BLADE: Astra Green
BRUSH: Yaqi‌ ‌Moka‌ ‌Express‌ ‌26mm‌ ‌2-Band‌ ‌Badger
SOAP: Pre‌ ‌de‌ ‌Provence‌ ‌No.‌ ‌63‌ Shaving Soap

Bh8Rhio.jpg
Well well..... well. How’s your badass beast shave? @klinker are you going to step up your middle of the road blade higher? I’m thinking about the Gillette Nacet :smuggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.