Pre: shower, olive oil soap
Soap: St James of London Cedarwood & Clarysage Shaving Cream
Brush: Vie-Long 12705 Horse hair
Razor: 1966 Gillette Slim L3 (9)
Blade: Gillette Yellow (1)
Post post: Triumph & Disaster Gameface Cream
Fragrance: St James of London Cedarwood & Clarysage Cologne

Pulled out some rarely used items.
Shaving cream was great - nice fragrance and excellent glide and protection.
Brush - very nice prickle
Slim - would call it only mid aggressive at #9 with this one. 2 day growth. Enjoyable but back in the drawer it will go! Nice to use it once a year perhaps.

NgAjq2B.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Soap: Asylum / Saponificio Varesino Colonia
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, APR Festivus P&C 2018 SE Aftershave Lotion
Scent: SMN Melograno

Very close and smooth three pass shave. The Asylum / SV soap smells more like Acqua Di Parma Colonia than the actual Acqua Di Parma shaving cream, which I also own.

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5B
Soap: Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge Cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

My first attempt with this soap which is clearly at least a homage to Oxford & Cambridge, if not intended as a clone. The labeling on the package is very similar. The scent is similar to the real deal, but lacks the depth and subtlety. I'm going to have another try before saying anything about the performance, as I was in a bit of a hurry (another skin cancer removal :rolleyes: - sunscreen boys and girls...) and today's lather was nothing to write home about. I was ready to put in a big order while I can, but I'll hang fire for now.

Sorry about the crap pic, I had my glasses on. I'll take them off next time... :rolleyes:

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Reknotted Klenzo Lucite
Soap:- Vintage NOS Old Spice in "Ship Recovery Salem 1794" milk glass mug
Razor:- 66' Slim L1 @ 3
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (5)
Aftershave:- Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice
Photo bomb by:- Luna

aIcYz8b.jpg

1.png

Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge Cologne

Too lazy to bother with a fresh pic today. Spent more time dialling in the lather, starting in the bowl and finishing on my face/head, but still not overly impressed with the performance of this soap. Not that it's actually bad, it gets the job done, but if I stack it up against C&S/Valobra or DRH it doesn't come close. Glad I haven't gone all-out to obtain more stock of this discontinued soap.

1.png

Too lazy to bother with a fresh pic today. Spent more time dialling in the lather, starting in the bowl and finishing on my face/head, but still not overly impressed with the performance of this soap. Not that it's actually bad, it gets the job done, but if I stack it up against C&S/Valobra or DRH it doesn't come close. Glad I haven't gone all-out to obtain more stock of this discontinued soap.

awesome shot of the forest mate.. what a view!!!

K8ohMvk.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: BillyGoat brushworks Silvertip
Soap: Blue Devil ‘Vetiver’
Razor: Cadman & Sons Bengall straight, GC .84 for tidy up
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Post-shave: Alum block, RR Emperor, Armaf ‘Club de Nuit’
Sixth shave with the Bengall, and starting to work out the angles. I found that I had previously employed too steep an angle, and the edge seems to work a lot better with the spine
nearly touching my face. Strangely, using my left hand on my LHS was where I worked that out, and it seemed to come to me much more naturally on the left whereas using my dominant hand on the RHS feels a bit awkward! Will I persist? Who knows. I need a hone around 12K to touch up the edge, and the Naniwa Super Stone at $169 was recommended. However I've
seen a pair of Shapton Ha No Kuromaku ceramics (5K and 12K) for $210 delivered which may tempt if I push on. I already have a Suehiro 1K/3K for my knives if I ever want to set up a bevel. But the same coin would make a good deposit on a Wolfman... hmmm.

Last edited:
1.png

My first attempt with this soap which is clearly at least a homage to Oxford & Cambridge, if not intended as a clone. The labeling on the package is very similar. The scent is similar to the real deal, but lacks the depth and subtlety. I'm going to have another try before saying anything about the performance, as I was in a bit of a hurry (another skin cancer removal :rolleyes: - sunscreen boys and girls...) and today's lather was nothing to write home about. I was ready to put in a big order while I can, but I'll hang fire for now.

Sorry about the crap pic, I had my glasses on. I'll take them off next time... :rolleyes:
Also a nice big hat. Says the bloke with who has about 30 hats. Yes the rabbit hole is not only confined to shaving gear.

NgAjq2B.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Soap: Asylum / Saponificio Varesino Colonia
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, APR Festivus P&C 2018 SE Aftershave Lotion
Scent: SMN Melograno

Very close and smooth three pass shave. The Asylum / SV soap smells more like Acqua Di Parma Colonia than the actual Acqua Di Parma shaving cream, which I also own.
Maybe Myrsol Monday? Does anyone actually stock it in Australia anymore? I got mine from the Stray Whisker and it was the last of his stock.

Also a nice big hat. Says the bloke with who has about 30 hats. Yes the rabbit hole is not only confined to shaving gear.
I thought for a moment you were showing off your ESP, as I was indeed wearing a nice big hat when I posted that... :facepalm: Agreed though. I don't have anywhere near 30 hats, but I do have quite a lot, mostly trilby and fedora, and, ummm, maybe a couple of Panamas. @Nico had us both beat with his vast collection of berets. I get less complaints from SWMBO about my hats than I do about my shaving brushes; wonders never cease.

Maybe Myrsol Monday? Does anyone actually stock it in Australia anymore? I got mine from the Stray Whisker and it was the last of his stock.
I believe @TomG uses Myrsol any day with a "y" in it. Even harder to find is Valobra Glycerlanolina. A most euphonious name, I had to go looking for it. History now, of course... :rolleyes:

I thought for a moment you were showing off your ESP, as I was indeed wearing a nice big hat when I posted that... :facepalm: Agreed though. I don't have anywhere near 30 hats, but I do have quite a lot, mostly trilby and fedora, and, ummm, maybe a couple of Panamas. @Nico had us both beat with his vast collection of berets. I get less complaints from SWMBO about my hats than I do about my shaving brushes; wonders never cease.
Im short in the beret department, only 5. But I do have 2 of the now discontinued Chasseur Alpin from the orignal maker.

There is also the Well Dressed Head who makes caps here is Australia. Now those are nice caps but they do come with a price. Well Dressed Head

Last edited:
Im short in the beret department, only 5. But I do have 2 of the now discontinued Chasseur Alpin from the orignal maker.

There is also the Well Dressed Head who makes caps here is Australia. Now those are nice caps but they do come with a price. Well Dressed Head
Ooh. Some very nice looking caps there. (Ouch at the price, but the quality is obvious.) I used to affect a Harris tweed flat cap when I was in my (very) early twenties, and I think it might have actually suited me then but not so much now. Sometimes one just has to accept the vicissitudes of Anno Domini and grow up. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.