Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
...All this SR talk makes me wonder how a SR head shave would go!
I tried it briefly back in the noughties. It's doable, but it took me a long time, so I went back to using DE razors. And I didn't have so many little scars from burns and skin cancer removal then. I like to be able to shave blind even if I don't need to. (It never even occurred to me to get a bathroom mirror until the late '90s when my parents came over to visit, and Dad complained about its absence. So I went off to IKEA the same day to fix that.)

But shaving my noggin without a mirror (or two, rather) was a learning curve beyond my patience.

PXL-20230616-233849812-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm horse's ass Troycraft "Polar Nocturne" 28mm AP Titanium
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Proshave S
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, APR Lavande Violette
COTD: Mocha Ismaili selection, Yemen

I had planned on making yesterday's shave an enterprise for a few days, but I couldn't face the smell of the horse's ass, even with the strong lavender CF. :rolleyes: I'm going to have to nick some of Mme's shampoo and give it some work for a few days. This new (to me) Proshave blade is still doing a nice job. I don't think it will knock the Proline off its perch at this stage, but it may be a shade better than the Kai PINK. An endorsement, if you will... :unsure:

R1HSRAg.jpg

• Yaqi Remus
  • Feather Professional
  • DSCosmetic Ice Blue A2S brush
  • Spearhead Seaforth Black Watch
Finally can do away with the AC blade of Chinese origin and try this out with the MIJ Feather Professional. Only slightly smoother than the blade it came with, but I think this will improve with time. It's an interesting sensation shaving with the Remus. Head has almost no weight, and it feels like you're shaving with one of those mini zen sand garden rakes. Mild smooth shave with some tugging on the more hairier parts of my face, but I think that's more to do with the weight than the razor than any flaw. Good shave. Makes me want to explore more AC single edge razors, though I have to be mindful that these blades cost a significant more than regular DE blades. Will have to see how many shaves this one will last.

SOTD – Mon 09 Oct 2023

SOTD-20231009-setup.png

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: DSCosmetic “Jade Bamboo" with 22/55 Plissoft Boar
  • Soap: Stirling Soap Co - Baker Street
  • Bowl: Yaqi Green ABS “Duke”
  • Razor: Leaf 3xSE & Twig SE by Leaf Shave
  • Blades: 2x Lord Saloon SEs (3) + 2x Perma-Sharp SEs (3)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Prosaso Refreshing (Green) AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate Cream [A]
[A] = Australian Product

PXL-20230616-233849812-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm horse's ass Troycraft "Polar Nocturne" 28mm AP Titanium
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Proshave S
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, APR Lavande Violette
COTD: Mocha Ismaili selection, Yemen

I had planned on making yesterday's shave an enterprise for a few days, but I couldn't face the smell of the horse's ass, even with the strong lavender CF. :rolleyes: I'm going to have to nick some of Mme's shampoo and give it some work for a few days. This new (to me) Proshave blade is still doing a nice job. I don't think it will knock the Proline off its perch at this stage, but it may be a shade better than the Kai PINK. An endorsement, if you will... :unsure:

😂 I understand that smell fully.. my brush has absolutely no smell at all, apart from soap I last used but once wet, $@#¥ me, horses arse is perfect

09 October

Pre-1924 6/8 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" spike point dressed in Queensland black bean (Castanospermum austral) timber scales. Soap was Palmolive stick (Germany) face lathered with a generic Chinese guaranteed pure best badger hair synthetic brush (well that's what the vendor said).
That black bean looks nice. Did my offer of seasoned TAS native cherry the other day spark any interest at all? It's been sitting under my house for the last 10 years. Should be enough there for a few dozen pairs of scales... :unsure:

That black bean looks nice. Did my offer of seasoned TAS native cherry the other day spark any interest at all? It's been sitting under my house for the last 10 years. Should be enough there for a few dozen pairs of scales... :unsure:
I live on a farm outside of Mareeba Qld. It's an old farm with lots of pieces of timber lying around. In my teens I spent most of my time building timber sailing skiffs. With that I learnt a lot about different timbers.

The fun part for me is finding bits of different timbers and making good use of them. SR scales use very little in way of materials and are a great way to show off different timbers.

The small piece of black bean timber that I found, produced enough for about half a dozen sets of scales. I also currently have some silver ash, Burmese teak, wattle, Huon pine and WA jarrah. I guess you could say I'm kind of a timber sort of bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.