Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
COv5Jp9l.jpg

SOTD – Fri 13 Oct 2023

SOTD-20231013-start.png

SOTD-20231013-lather.png

Shave Report: This Mondial cream is more of a croap, as I’m using a big new Boar brush I scooped about half teaspoon (2.6gm) of product (which turned out to be too much) and built a creamy medium density lather. The 4 days of breaking in the big Boar knot paid off as my new Boti performed superbly with a lovely soft feel. The lather provided me with excellent primary slickness but the residual, although present, needed to be kept moist, which I find common with Coconut oil based soaps. Lather scent has a pleasant traditional blend of citrus & spice with a woody background, scent strength 4/10. Overall an easy going smooth DFS from the TFC on setting 2, just a couple of weepers.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Boti Traditional “Red&White” 24/65 Boar
  • Soap: Mondial Shaving Cream - No.908 Homme
  • Bowl: Whispers From the Woods [A]
  • Razor: Yaqi “The Final Cut” (TFC)
  • Blade: Shark Platinum (2)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Old Spice Classic AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate Cream [A]
[A] = Australian Product

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Two Band Badger 22/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Tuscany
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Slim Adjustable N2 1968 / GSB #9 ... finished
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

aPq4mao.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Troy Tools (Maggards SHD 2 band badger)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino ‘Opuntia’
Razor: Rigarazor 8/8
Strop: DCBlades Roo/Cotton
Post-shave: Shavex Alum block, Fine ‘Platinum’, Mont Blanc ‘Explorer’
The Rigarazor has been here a while but I've been busy honing older razors with my new Nagura. It will need a touch up soon so expect I will
finish it on my Nakayama using the new Nagura. It arrived with a superb edge, best I've experienced. Since the SV Opuntia arrived a couple of months ago I have not used another
soap; it is superb.

Purchased a RazoRock Lupo 58 directly from Italian Barber and it arrived yesterday, so today was the big test.

The Shave:
- Brush: Yaqi Chubby White Handle
- Soap: Proraso Wood & Spice Shaving Cream
- Bowl: None, I've taken to face lathering with creams
- Razor: RazoRock Lupo 58
- Blade: Wilkinson Sword German with three shaves on it
- Splash: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented Toner
- Balm: Proraso Wood & Spice Aftershave Balm

The result:
This is a great razor, being 66 I do lean toward mild razors and the Lupo was definitely mild with some blade feel, more than a Game Changer .68-P, but extremely efficient at the same time.
And of course I never have any issues with Wilkinson Sword blades.

SOTD – Sun 15 Oct 2023

SOTD-20231015-setup.png

Shave Report: As expected with a cream the LEA quickly generated a lovely rich silky smooth shiny lather that provided excellent performance that felt better than a TOBS cream. To me the scent is as described a clean light Sandalwood & Moss traditional masculine aroma with some nice cooling from the menthol, scent strength 4/10. The Yaqi TFC on 2.0 on all 3 passes, felt equivalent to about Rockwell 6c plate 4, provided an awesome smooth near BBS with just a couple of mild weepers.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: DSC “9Sky” with 24/54 Fan APShave Cashmere
  • Soap: LEA “Classic” Shaving Cream Sensitive Skin
  • Bowl: Yaqi Black ABS “Duke”
  • Razor: Yaqi “The Final Cut” (TFC)
  • Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: LEA refreshing AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate Cream [A]
[A] = Australian Product

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Omega 11047 "Mixed Midget" (Badger/Boar) 20/43mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Tuscany
Razor/Blade:- WCS American Liberty CNC / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #1 :love:
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

Smoothest shave ever with THIS blade and razor together, it's like a real couple together British vs American love at first sight.

GD66
Zenith Horse 27mm 'Extra Soft'
RazoRock Blue Label Soap Stick
CaD Splash
Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel

absolutely love this brush, but it is still losing 40-50 hairs each time I use it, I'll contact the seller and see what they think. now this soap, i have never gotten along with but people love it as it is apparently slick, well yep slick it is and slick is great with a SR (y)

the SR journey is going very well, enjoying it for sure

53259611883_b65d1a7661_h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.