Tabac Re-Formulated - Now Tallow Free

I'm going to hold off until they come out with their baby tallow formula. :unsure::whistle:

:LOL:

I have to admit, although I have shunned pig brushes since (I think) 1978, I am somewhat inclined to revisit that genre next year. It helps that many of them are so affordable. I don't have the issues with them that I do with badgers.

Boars are great to break in with triple milled soaps. (y)

I have to admit, although I have shunned pig brushes since (I think) 1978, I am somewhat inclined to revisit that genre next year. It helps that many of them are so affordable. I don't have the issues with them that I do with badgers.
I can recommend the Zenith Copper 27/28mm In horse and boar.

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered some refills and a jar too. My father used to use this when he was younger and my mother remembers it when she worked as a chemist. (she still thinks they changed it since the old days) but honestly I feel its fine.

I felt like this was in the making for a while and there had been info that they were moving manufacturing to a new factory or something like that. I vaguely remember this being said but I didn't give it any credence because I was exhausted over the PolSilver fiasco which as I now understand it turned out to be true also and its back to Wizament blades which are impossible to get without some risk. (No idea, I'm playing catch up on that one)
It's sad that I had to panic buy but when it comes to old world soaps like this that have been a staple for many across generations then its basically an end of an era. Obviously it sucks this has happened because at some point it will become unobtanium and that will be that.
I'm still disappointed about I Coloniali. It was just yesterday I had a moment of thought about it. The thought was actually involving a few soaps that came in nice packaging and Tabac crossed my mind as did MWF. I doubt MWF will change the ingredients because its just such a part of its DNA but what has always worried me is if they continue at all since there is so much competition in the market these days. I mean how many of us have stuck with MWF and bought a puck of it in recent times... I'd venture an educated guess that not many of us have.

Last edited:

definitely worth a revisit, i never really got along with mine much but the success i had yday with the badger got me re-thinking the boar and glad i did.. they are just a fraction of the cost of a badger so more to spend on tabac :)

...but when it comes to old world soaps like this that have been a staple for many across generations then its basically an end of an era. Obviously it sucks this has happened because at some point it will become unobtanium and that will be that...
For "Old World" (milled) soaps, there are still a few available. I have recently rediscovered the species, largely thanks to @rhodes96 who sent D.R. Harris (Windsor) my way, and thus reminded me of the Czech&Speake/Valobra in my own stash. The Harris is fantastic stuff, and there's still Saponifico Varesino, Pre de Provence, Fine, Trufitt & Hill, Henri et Victoria to name a few.

Over the last couple of months I've learned to appreciate these hard soaps again, and I now often find myself reaching for them in preference to the so-called "artisan" soaps.

For "Old World" (milled) soaps, there are still a few available. I have recently rediscovered the species, largely thanks to @rhodes96 who sent D.R. Harris (Windsor) my way, and thus reminded me of the Czech&Speake/Valobra in my own stash. The Harris is fantastic stuff, and there's still Saponifico Varesino, Pre de Provence, Fine, Trufitt & Hill, Henri et Victoria to name a few.

Over the last couple of months I've learned to appreciate these hard soaps again, and I now often find myself reaching for them in preference to the so-called "artisan" soaps.

Oh I love D.R. Harris! I particularly like the Sandalwood scent in the range so much so that many years ago I bought two aftershave bottles, the balm (Might have two of those also), a tube of the cream and have the hard soap in the bowl too. I also went so far as to buy the bar soap (body soap) twice too.
Windsor is such a great masculine rose scent from my recollections, its one of my favorites but I haven't actually bought the soap yet. I think you are bang on with that. D.R. Harris is great!
I have two old Valobra soft bars, an almond one and a mentholated one but never got around to getting the hard soaps. I have a few Saponifico Varesino soaps and aftershaves around which are indeed great.
I believe Fine has gone through a change recently. In fact wasn't it rumored that the Fine soap was made out of the old Tabac factory which is where this info all started from about the Tabac factory shutting down long ago. I don't actually know who makes the Fine soap now or what the quality is like but I recall the old one being pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered some refills and a jar too. My father used to use this when he was younger and my mother remembers it when she worked as a chemist. (she still thinks they changed it since the old days) but honestly I feel its fine.

I felt like this was in the making for a while and there had been info that they were moving manufacturing to a new factory or something like that. I vaguely remember this being said but I didn't give it any credence because I was exhausted over the PolSilver fiasco which as I now understand it turned out to be true also and its back to Wizament blades which are impossible to get without some risk. (No idea, I'm playing catch up on that one)
It's sad that I had to panic buy but when it comes to old world soaps like this that have been a staple for many across generations then its basically an end of an era. Obviously it sucks this has happened because at some point it will become unobtanium and that will be that.
I'm still disappointed about I Coloniali. It was just yesterday I had a moment of thought about it. The thought was actually involving a few soaps that came in nice packaging and Tabac crossed my mind as did MWF. I doubt MWF will change the ingredients because its just such a part of its DNA but what has always worried me is if they continue at all since there is so much competition in the market these days. I mean how many of us have stuck with MWF and bought a puck of it in recent times... I'd venture an educated guess that not many of us have.

I agree with you, we are loosing a touchstone, a thread with previous generations and a soap that is likely much better than the non-tallow version...but hey, I still cling on to vinyl, books and my betamax!. I suspect even eating meat in the future will be frowned upon, the way attitudes are changing. I am not making a judgement, just noticing which way the wind is blowing. How long really, will it be when there will be no tallow soaps left, not long, I would hazard a guess, as the economics are changing for companies - younger generations do not want animal by-products in their soap and the synthetic surfacants are cheaper. Those that do want tallow, are or will be shortly, in the minority.

I agree with you, we are loosing a touchstone, a thread with previous generations and a soap that is likely much better than the non-tallow version...but hey, I still cling on to vinyl, books and my betamax!. I suspect even eating meat in the future will be frowned upon, the way attitudes are changing. I am not making a judgement, just noticing which way the wind is blowing. How long really, will it be when there will be no tallow soaps left, not long, I would hazard a guess, as the economics are changing for companies - younger generations do not want animal by-products in their soap and the synthetic surfacants are cheaper. Those that do want tallow, are or will be shortly, in the minority.

Yeah, as much as the conversation may have shifted to being a hard soap thing its just as much a tallow base thing. Whilst there isn't a real world shortage right now I definitely feel its a worry.
I hear you, I still buy CD's and occasionally buy some vinyls but have had limit myself because of the lack of space. I also own a betacord/betamax. It definitely seems to be heading that way but I think we are a long way off from the dark days. People can frown all they like in the meantime. You're not wrong though. How quickly did the synthetic knot take to chip deeply into the natural fibre market. It seems like every other day there is a new synthetic knot that everyone has to have, right now it seems to be about the omega EVO, the Simpson trafalgar or whatever any other artisan is developing.
I can imagine tallow is going to be one of those upper market item with a pretty price tag to go with it. Tallow is always going be around to an extent given that its an extract. I hardly think animals are killed just for tallow. I do follow your train of thought though.
Eh, I see more people getting into this hobby both young and old and some of them are drifting towards the vintage market and from that comes the chances of look at traditional soaps.
I honestly feel like all of this is brought on by the market being so large these days and there being so many options. Imagine 20-30 years ago when there were much few artisans and brands like Tabac were the only premium option, other than that it was your canned goop or mass produced tube of cream, in our days there is lick at least 10 artisans per country each producing several different types of soaps and scents so that was naturally going to affect the classics in some way. Tabac is also an old timey kinda scent which some people have described as a grandma scent too so you aren't going to have some sub 30 year old sporting the Tabac scent on a daily basis or on his next date.

Tabac is great but they should have also diversified a little bit on the rang even by having two different scents one that was targeted at a younger audience and another for the more mature audience whilst keeping the same base ingredients.