Taswegian checking in

glenos

.. is a GRANDPA now!
2018 Sabbatical
2015 Sabbatical
Hi,
After reading most of the whirlpool threads and a few here I decided I should join.

I don't quite qualify to really join, I am still a slave to the schick ultra II, and have only just started using faulding "shave" in a tube.

The reason I joined is I am starting to look at moving up to a better cream/soap and a new brush, my poor old one (woolies $5 many years ago) is going bald faster then I am (just). Any suggestions?

I don't feel ready to move to a DE razor just yet, too scared I will repeat my first experiemce as a 3 year old.

I am from Hoabrt, there is no where to buy shaving gear here, so I will be ordering online.

Hi Glenos.

Welcome to Paste and Cut.

Knowing this place you will probably be DE shaving within two weeks.

I'd suggest something simple to improve your shaving experience, and if you are buying online and want the gear in a hurry then you could buy from mensbiz.

Grab some Proraso here and a decent brush here.

You could try a badger brush which is a bit more expensive, try the Buy and Sell forum once you have access as there are always bits and pieces going on sale.

Best thing you can do is chuck the Ultra 2 and Fauldings, and use some good quality gear. Your skin will thank you for it.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome Glenos. You're half way there with a brush and shaving cream. If you want a bigger and cheaper choice of brush and cream you can try here:

Welcome To Connaught Shaving

Try any pure bristle Omega brush and you really can't go wrong. Postage is ridiculously cheap and takes about the same time as Australian post. In fact it's generally faster. The Proraso green tube has a pretty strong menthol and eucalyptus kick which many like but can be a bit off putting and almost eye watering at times. Speick cream is also highly regarded. Compared to Shave anything's better!

Don't worry, at an alarming pace you will acquire at least a dozen different soaps, creams and brushes. And if and when you start using traditional razors you're well and truly screwed.

Hi mate

I'm sure some here can offer some PIFs to get you started. Don't thank us, it's the same concept as drug dealing...

Proraso is a great starter, easy to lather works great. I still use it. Cheap can be very very good, and is often preferred for its buckbangness. But not Fauldings...

The new Proraso Red is rather special, but only a few places have it so far - it's brand new.

Speick cream is another goody.

Last edited:
Well I plucked up the courage and have taken the plunge, I've just placed an order for;
Men's Biz Standard Wetshaving Kit - Proraso Shaving Cream
Cella Shaving Soap with Almond Oil in case I don't like the prosaro, hope it doesn't remind me too much of cyanide.

Let the games begin.

A decent choice for a starter.

How much Cella did you get...a 1kg block?

I don't think you will be disappointed with either of those - Proraso is awesome and lovely bit of menthol in it, Cella lathers beautifully, I just don't like the scent personally.

If you don't like either, head over to our PIF section and I am sure someone will trade you.

edit:

Do you have bad memories of cyanide?

Do you have bad memories of cyanide?

I'm an analytical chemist and work with it on rare occassions, it smells like bitter almond. With any luck cella wil smell like Perkins paste and I can have flash backs to grade 2 every time I use it.

I picked cella as a second because of the almond oil, fantastic moisturiser.

Doesn't cyanide smell of almonds? It's the classic Agatha Christie scene. Maybe glenos is an organic chemist or something.

He might be an analytical chemist.

Glenos, it smells like Dr Pepper.

Glenos, it smells like Dr Pepper.

Hmm, that doesn't help cos I don't know what Dr Pepper smells like.

Seeing as my parcel arrived today, I have had a look and a sniff. Cella smells a bit like perkins paste and a bit like cyanide. Not too bad, I'll give it a go.

Now which blade to chose first? It will have to wait until Saturday so I can take my time, the mornings are too rushed in this house, trying to get four kids to school on time.

Looks like the Mensbiz starterpack comes with
# Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades (5)
# Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades (5)
# Feather Double Edge Razor Blades (5)
# Merkur Super Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades (10)
# Personna Red Pack Double Edge Razor Blades (5)

popped my cherry

Just had my first DE shave.

I shaved on Wednesday with Proraso and my new brush still using my old faithful schick ultra II, man I haven't seen that much lather before. I've never used canned foam.

I put off shaving until this morning, normally shave M,W,F, or twice a week (M, Th) so I had time to take care.

I used an astra blade, the merkur 34C and proraso. two passes 1st mostly WTG (but also quite vertical) second opposite direction.

The result, I' pretty happy certainly comparable to my old technique, some spots are better (smoother). My right jaw line needs a bit more care.

Am I a convert? Well its too early to tell, there is an emotional response to holding a nice heavy razor and I feel more grown up, (pretty wierd for a 37yo.)

Looks like the Mensbiz starterpack comes with
# Merkur Super Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades (10)
# Personna Red Pack Double Edge Razor Blades (5)

I've actually got:

# Merkur Super Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades (10 + 1)
# Gillette 7 O'Clock (5) the blue packet ones

Last edited:
Hi Glen,

You have a very nice razor there. I still use the 34C more than my old gillettes.

Good luck with it. You tend to have several revelations along the way...even after you think you know what you're doing!

I've actually got:
# Gillette 7 O'Clock (5) the blue packet ones

What address is on them? St. Petersburg or Czech Republic?

Either way, if you send them to me I will send you more than enough blades in return.

I'm curious why are you so interested?

Only 7 O'Clocks I am yet to try/test. I have not had either the Russian or Czech Blues yet.

Plus, I can drop some nice blades in your lap as compensation.

Only 7 O'Clocks I am yet to try/test. I have not had either the Russian or Czech Blues yet.

Sorry I seemed so abrupt I am new to this razor blade swapping caper. I actually wondered if I had stumbled onto something special and you were trying to take advantage of the newbie.

Check you PMs.

Well, in a way I am taking advantage - you are sparing me the effort of buying 100 online!

Mind you, there will be quite a large amount of compensation coming your way for 4 blades. You won't need to buy another sampler.