Taswegian checking in

Sounds like you are going well!

Knowing RMs stash if he hasn't tried the five you have you can probably parley them into 500 blades - he will not even miss them!

Sounds like you are going well!
First change of blade this morning (I still only shave three times a week) from Astra to Merkur. I was a bit disappointed at first I noticed that it wasn't as sharp an needed a bit more pressure, my lather was a bit ordinary so that would not have helped.

But as the day has gone on I have felt more 'comfortable', with the astra's I was getting a bit of hot cheek during the day but not today.

Still using proraso, I wouldn't mind trying Cella or Men-U but good experiemntal theory says to only change one variable at a time. Far out this is going to take forever to get through every variable. I probably should keep some notes.

The Astra has been my most consistently used blade so far since I started a few months back. I think I got 20 or 30 of them amongst my initial purchases, and they were the first blade I noticed as being far more comfortable than others.
I have introduced the odd other blade, and found a few others I like, but also several that I won't be touching again unless I try them in a new razor. I think the Merkurs are blades that suit few people from my reading, so I haven't even opened my sample of them yet.

I really should open a pack of voskhods and compare them to the Astra. I have 100 of the blody things, so they had better be pretty good.

Voskhods and Gillette Blacks are my most used blades.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't find the Russkies any good.

I just realised they haven't even made it out of the glove box in the car since I collected them from the post office 2 months or so ago.

Still using proraso, I wouldn't mind trying Cella or Men-U but good experiemntal theory says to only change one variable at a time. Far out this is going to take forever to get through every variable. I probably should keep some notes.

It's very hard to keep to that 'one variable at a time' biz, but it's worth it I think. Especially hard when you've got so much new stuff to try. A random day where everything is different and new is good experimental theory too and really only possible when you're a noob.

Definitely keep notes, start a thread of your trials or something, because you won't remember the combo's that you've been through or liked/hated.

I couldn't resist any longer so I cracked out the Cella this morning, I'm not sure I used it right to get it onto the brush.

Shaves quite nice, I'm still not sure about the merkur blade, the smell was a little intense and I missed the cool menthol feel of Proraso, but my face feels softer for the almond oil.

Merkur - feels rough during the shave, easy on the skin though. Not worth trying to get super close result as you will damage yourself before you do

Astra SP - Smoooth shave, rough on the skin. Can get very close result.

That's my experience anyway.

Merkur are fine for a two pass shave for work. Overpriced though...

Best shave so far

I meant to shave this morning and didn't get around to it so I have just shaved now 9pm.

Derby extra and cella in my Merkur

Far out Cella can make some lather, my second attempt went a lot better, big globs of meringue.

Derby seem to have a poor rep but for me it was comfortable and felt more natural than the Merkur (which I gave up on after two shaves). Time will tell if I get that burning feeling, cheeks feel a bit warm now.

This would have to be the smoothest shave I have had in years, apart from a couple of spots that I didn't get exactly right; corners of mouth, where chin meets neck and jaw line next to ears.

Well my second shave with the derby left me burning and irritated, this could be two things, my lather was piss poor (I haven't mastered Cella) or I got a bit heavy handed and used too much pressure.

Today, I used the derby again 3rd shave on this blade, but switched back to proraso, ahh how I've missed my mentholy friend, easy on the pressure and it has been a good shave day. Nice smooth finish, minimal burning (if any).

All of this discussion of hot cheeks and irritation must mean I am a sensitive guy after all. :embarrest:

Razormonsta did those blades arrive?

Well my second shave with the derby left me burning and irritated, this could be two things, my lather was piss poor (I haven't mastered Cella) or I got a bit heavy handed and used too much pressure.

Today, I used the derby again 3rd shave on this blade, but switched back to proraso, ahh how I've missed my mentholy friend, easy on the pressure and it has been a good shave day. Nice smooth finish, minimal burning (if any).

All of this discussion of hot cheeks and irritation must mean I am a sensitive guy after all. :embarrest:

As the main (only?) proponent of the Derby on the board...

It feels blunt as anything. Really easy to overdo the pressure. If you are battling try tweaking your angle. The razor cuts comparitively effortlessly when the angle is on the money.I still think it is a top blade for 8 centish and it agrees with my skin like few others.

Checked the post box today and 'lo and behold there they are! I'm due for a shave in the morning so will test them out.

Haven't had a chance to package up a sampler this week but will do so over the weekend.

best ROI I will ever get

It finally arrived, my return sampler pack.
Image010.jpg
Far out they are going to take some time to get through.

Thanks RM, very generous.

This morning was cella and a fether, not overly impressed but reasonable job

Last edited:
Nice haul!

Many people suggest that a feather blade is not for anyone new to this game. They are very sharp by all accounts, but not very forgiving.

This is one of the very few pieces of advice I have taken onboard. So far after around 5 months wet shaving, I still haven't used one.

Nice haul!

Many people suggest that a feather blade is not for anyone new to this game. They are very sharp by all accounts, but not very forgiving.

This is one of the very few pieces of advice I have taken onboard. So far after around 5 months wet shaving, I still haven't used one.

Don't be afraid of it, just use the damn thing.
What's the worst that can happen? You cut yourelf.
You probably have done that already so that's nothing new.

Don't be afraid.

I still have quite a few others I haven't tried yet.

I will get round to them soon enough.

What razor are you using?
I would have no hesitation to put a feather blade into a tech ot tech clone, or even some TTO gillette vintage razors.
I probably wouldn't put them in an open comb muhle though...

It finally arrived, my return sampler pack.

Far out they are going to take some time to get through.Thanks RM, very generous.

This morning was cella and a fether, not overly impressed but reasonable job

You are well and truly welcome Glen. I appreciate the contributions you make here, and also you have given me a heads up on one of the blades I shall stock up more of - the Czech 7OC Blues. I seriously love how sharp thy are and the longevity of them - 5 shaves and it had more in it.

You are also rather more adventurous than myself, took me 12 months to get the nerve to load a Feather. And I did nick myself (barely).

Don't be afraid of it, just use the damn thing.
What's the worst that can happen? You cut yourself.
You probably have done that already so that's nothing new.

Don't be afraid.

I concur with both posts. The key is to always respect the blade. Just repeat the 'No pressure' mantra as you shave and you will be fine.

What razor are you using?
I would have no hesitation to put a feather blade into a tech ot tech clone, or even some TTO gillette vintage razors.
I probably wouldn't put them in an open comb muhle though...
The closed comb EJ/Muhles are okay with them, yet some crazys swear that either a Merkur 39C (Slant) or the R41 is the best handle for a Feather and gives the most perfect shave ever.

But yes, the Tech runs a Feather nicely, as do the 40's Superspeeds.

Jesus I've got an R41 at the moment and there is now way I would use a feather in it.
Maybe a Progress or an EJ86.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 5 shaves with the feather, I would say it is a sharp blade which is unforgiving, not in a I've hacked myself to pieces way, but in the sense of if your technique is poor then you will have a bad shave. I could almost shave single pass WTG with these things.

I switched to a blade from RMs sampler, the russian Rapira super stainless. Two shaves down and I would say todays effort was better then Fridays. A middle of the road blade, didn't seem to take a lot off in the first pass, second pass gives a decent shave.

I'm still struggling with just below the jaw line, always seems to have some stuble left.