Taswegian checking in

Try pulling your chin into your chest Glen.

I find this gives me a flatter surface to work with and exposes the area that is normally under the jaw.

Might not work for you but it's worth taking a look...

Today Rapira super stainless. No idea what the consensus is on these, but I'm not a fan. It felt smooth enough, but wasn't really sharp enough to do the job well. I had to go over some areas that most other blades (that I rate higher) can get done with less passes and touchups. It was one of those blades that if you want to get a close shave you will be working for it and potential uncomfort. Not that sharp would be my bottom line assessment.

I switched to a blade from RMs sampler, the russian Rapira super stainless. Two shaves down and I would say todays effort was better then Fridays. A middle of the road blade, didn't seem to take a lot off in the first pass, second pass gives a decent shave.

You both used the same blade..... cool!

Got to say that Bodge's assessment mirrors my own. Could use them if I was a communist and that is all I had, but the results are less than stellar.

I made a discovery this week, a slight change in angle has dramatically imporved my results. Getting a much closer shave, almost BBS.

Lord Platinum Class

Today was a change of blade to theLord Platinum Class, egyptian blades, bottom right of my picture.

Not the sharpest blade around, I even got away with a lapse in concentration that saw blade and bottom lip meet.

1st pass was reasonable, second pass was starting to irritate. Close enough in the end

I think the Rapira was a slightly better blade.

Still on the Lord, must be shave 4 or 5 by now. I hadn't shaved since Wednesday. I've changedmy mind about it not being sharp it shaves quite nicely with decent lather. I'm going to have to go back and try all those blades again.

I made a discovery this week and loaded more cella into my brush and finally got a decent lather, I have been underloading and ending up with a thin smear of soap on my face.

Todays shave has gone well, nice and smooth not many missed bits. I'm getting the hang of this finally.

As an aside, what do people do with used blades?
When I have had a dispenser I have put them into the bottom slot, fine nice and safe no prolems. But with the blades that come in cardboard I have put them back into the box, this strikes me as a little unsafe/wise. It's not too bad as long as one of the kids doesn't try and look at Dad's stuff.

Last edited:
As an aside, what do people do with used blades?
When I have had a dispenser I have put them into the bottom slot, fine nice and safe no prolems. But with the blades that come in cardboard I have put them back into the box, this strikes me as a little unsafe/wise. It's not too bad as long as one of the kids doesn't try and look at Dad's stuff.

Go to your nearest $2 shop (GoLo, Reject Shop, Asian YumCha Sells Everything $2) and buy a moneybox about the height of a can of drink. Mine has a picture of an Aussie $10 note on it.

Like this

Sorted.

I'm going to have to go back and try all those blades again.

Todays shave has gone well, nice and smooth not many missed bits. I'm getting the hang of this finally.

I went through this a couple of times so far. Decisions got made and then a bit more xp up my sleeve and reassessment was required.

I'm 4-5 months in and still getting better. I truly didn't believe what other people said about needing so long to get the hang of it. I thought they were unco or something.

Gillette Green Russian

I droppeda Gillette 7 oclock green russian in on Friday. It was awesome, smooth shave not tugging irritation. No the closest shave I have had but overall pretty good.

I managed to get 4 shaves out of the 7 O'Clock yellow and the last one was stretching it a bit.

So today I dropped in a Dorco, in a word OUCH! rough, irritation, itchy all day and not that close a shave. I nearly ditched it half way through the first pass and now wish I had.

On the plus side I get to try a new blade on Wednesday, because there is no bloody way that thing is coming near me again.

Dorcos work well for me with regular (daily) shaves. However this annoys my skin so I usually shave every second day. And that in turn annoys the Dorcos.

Some get good results from them, I just cannot. That said I do find them extremely smooth - to the point of seeming like there is no blade in it at all. And then I add pressure and cut myself.

I don't have too many left, a few more victims.... err... sample pack recipients and I am clear.

Today new blade Gillette Platinum, right hand column third from the bottom.

A pretty decent blade nice and comfortable and close shave.

I still wouldn't say I have found a blade that I would buy 100 of let alone 5000. Although I do need to revist the first few now that I can make good consistent lather.

Are there any good shave shops in Melb that I could visit to sniff some creams at the end of Sept?

Today new blade Gillette Platinum, right hand column third from the bottom.

A pretty decent blade nice and comfortable and close shave.
Dark Platinums, aka 'Maltese' Platinums. A good blade, needs an aggressive razor IMHO. Red Tip, any of the British Rhodiums or dial up your adjustables to 7 or more.

Are there any good shave shops in Melb that I could visit to sniff some creams at the end of Sept?
Mensbiz - in Richmond.

Mensbiz - in Richmond.
Don't reckon I will be able to get there during M-F 9-5. I am going to audit a lab and will be very busy from 8-5 on Thursday and probably Friday. So I need a Saturday or Sunday option.

Maybe I should just order myself a Father's day pressie.

Some good reading here glenos mate, getting your impressions on different blades since the start of the thread is pretty useful in helping me decide what to try next.

If there's a local barber in your area, maybe you could try them? Just figuring they might stay open a bit later is all.

Don't reckon I will be able to get there during M-F 9-5. I am going to audit a lab and will be very busy from 8-5 on Thursday and probably Friday. So I need a Saturday or Sunday option.

Maybe I should just order myself a Father's day pressie.

Is Nathan not open on a Saturday morning? :amazed:

If there's a local barber in your area, maybe you could try them? Just figuring they might stay open a bit later is all.

Barbers are always worth checking, although the prices will suck. A few near me have Proraso, Some TOBS soaps, brushes, and MenU stuff.

Third shave with the Maltese Platinum. My lather looked a bit sloppy in the bowl but really came together on my face (that sounds all wrong). Thick and creamy.

These blades are great nice close smooth shave, I could use them for a very long time. This is the first blade I have thought I could buy 100 of these. But I do need to revisit the first 5 or so, Derby, Astra, Feather, Rapira, Lord.

I don't think it has a fourth shave in it.

Does anyone think the delay between shaves decreases blade life?
I usually shave every second day otherwise there would be nothing too cut, but last week I shaved Mon, Wed and then Sunday. So I was wondering has this shortened the life of the blade?

Third shave with the Maltese Platinum. My lather looked a bit sloppy in the bowl but really came together on my face (that sounds all wrong). Thick and creamy.
It can be strange sometimes, but working it into your face more usually releases a bit more of the cream from right inside the brush. I like to start with a well shaken brush which tends to get more of the cream up into the knot. Then if the lather is to wet I just keep working it and it releases more of the cream. You end up with the result you described. To dry and just add a few drops of water to the brush, keep lathering.

These blades are great nice close smooth shave, I could use them for a very long time. This is the first blade I have thought I could buy 100 of these. But I do need to revisit the first 5 or so, Derby, Astra, Feather, Rapira, Lord.
The Maltese are very good blades. Unfortunately the bulk buys are gone now so if you see 100 then I suggest you pick them up. Many people bought them to bundle with other products - you will see plenty of razors on eBay coming with 10, 20 or 50 'Free' blades.

I don't think it has a fourth shave in it.
I get 3 shaves from them and throw.

Does anyone think the delay between shaves decreases blade life?
I usually shave every second day otherwise there would be nothing too cut, but last week I shaved Mon, Wed and then Sunday. So I was wondering has this shortened the life of the blade?
Not in stainless blades, but you would in carbons. A month may have a small impact but a week? I would not believe so unless you have really acidic or alkaline water.

I also shave every second day (usually).

Not in stainless blades, but you would in carbons. A month may have a small impact but a week? I would not believe so unless you have really acidic or alkaline water.

I also shave every second day (usually).
I was actually meaning the extra growth, thicjer hairs type of thing.

Hobart water is quite acidic, it is very soft so has very little buffering capacity this can lead to corosion problems in new copper pipes, before scale has a chance to build up. I have only once descaled my coffee machine and the water came out blue/grren, it was the inside of the boiler being dissolved.

Yesterday was a permasharp super, I was dubious the packaging didn't inspire me, but the Russian factory address offered some hope. 2nd bottom left hand column.

It was also the first use of my newish Merkur Barber pole.

Wow, what a blade, it was a nice comfortable and close have, either I am getting the hang of this or I have started to find some better blades. I suspect the former.

As for the razor, at first it felt like I was shaving with my razor on the end of a stick (it has a very long hande), after the first half a pass I got the feel for it and settled into the groove. The extra mass of the razor was quite nice, looking forward to my next shave, might be tonight before we go out for the olympian do.