The Paste & Cut Traveling Box No. 1

Great review!

The TH 1805 cream and aftershave were a birthday gift last year - a nice combo. I took the samples out BEFORE I used it of course (took a lot of self control that morning).

I like the Ogallala too. I picked up these samples in the US after trying the plain bay rum in the Traveling Box over YKW. the only trick I found was that if you didn't shake first - WOW, do you get some burn!

Nice reviews, Lynchy. I'm gunna jump in the queue for this too if I may. I think my details are probably still in your inbox Mark, but if not I'll send 'em again tomorrow.

Nice reviews, Lynchy. I'm gunna jump in the queue for this too if I may. I think my details are probably still in your inbox Mark, but if not I'll send 'em again tomorrow.

Cool - now we have five it seems!

If you can PM me your name, address and a telephone contact so I can chase you into submission if you are too slow in forwarding the box that wold be great.

Great review!

The TH 1805 cream and aftershave were a birthday gift last year - a nice combo. I took the samples out BEFORE I used it of course (took a lot of self control that morning).

I like the Ogallala too. I picked up these samples in the US after trying the plain bay rum in the Traveling Box over YKW. the only trick I found was that if you didn't shake first - WOW, do you get some burn!

Thanks Mark,

Now that would have been some self control!

Lol, so it separates a little if not shaken, luckily I read earlier up to give it a shake :)

The box grows lol

Resistance is futile. :p

The Ogallala isn't clovey, is it? After spending some time with the Pinaud bay rum, I'm getting a little sick of cloves.

The Ogallala isn't clovey, is it? After spending some time with the Pinaud bay rum, I'm getting a little sick of cloves.

Umm.... Maybe I will sniff test tonight and let you know! My memory/scent ability isn't that good!

Day 4

Body Shop Macca Root http://www.thebodyshop.com.au/Product.aspx?Id=573

Tabac Aftershave

Why?

Today’s shave was the “Stuff I could buy locally but am not committed to...yet”

Tabac stuff is stocked at a bunch of places around, and the Body Shop are a dime a dozen here in the Capital.

I gave been interested in both but never enough to pull the trigger!

Result?

The cream was good; for the first half of the first pass it was nice and thick, top quality stuff..... but then it started to thin out a little as the shave went on?

Maybe I used too much water? Who knows, it wasn’t thin and airy like when I typically use too much water, it was still thick but just lost some volume?

Pass 2 and 3 were practically the same, started thick but thinned out as we went on.

What I liked most about this cream was the slickness, not the slipperiest I’ve ever used but pretty damn slippery IMO

It was a nice 3 pass affair leaving me with a decent result. Scent: Well I know now what Macca Root smells like :)

Tabac aftershave was nice, a very manly scent. It did provide a bit of sting but that passed fairly quickly. Here I am 10 hours later and I can still smell it, so the staying power is good. I will probably buy some of this when I next see it for a reasonable price.

Thanks

Great review again - nice to switch around with some local stuff!

Cool - now we have five it seems!

If you can PM me your name, address and a telephone contact so I can chase you into submission if you are too slow in forwarding the box that wold be great.

Well, with my current level of fitness I don't think I'd survive a chase so I guess I'd best be prompt!

Details in your inbox mate.

Umm.... I smelt it again last night, it was very fresh and didn't get much cloves?

But in all honesty you shouldn't take my work for it I'm terrible at the whole scent thing.

Day 5

eShave Almond http://www.mensbiz.com.au/eshave-shave-cream-almond.html

Pinaud Clubman

Why?

Well I have been patiently awaiting an eShave sample from my Mensbiz purchases to trial for some time now. But alas they have always sent me other stuff.

And the Clubman is just another wet shaving staple I have yet to get my paws on.

Result?

It was a nice 3 pass shave as usual.

The cream was a solid performer, first 2 passes were nice and thick, 3rd pass was a little thinner and a bit airy. A combination of not enough cream and too much water I think! Typically I use a fair wack of cream and hence need to use a fair bit of water too, but I was trying to be conservative and share the love from the sample.

The scent was great, reminded me of Cella, I didn’t open my tub of Cella to compare but it was pretty damn similar, maybe less cherry by comparison. I would consider buying this cream if it wasn’t $36.00 a tub lol

I used the Clubman well after the shave as is my typical routine so there was a tiny sting but not much.
Stuff smells great! It’s very manly and musky, I felt like I should have shot and mounted a deer......whilst riding a motorbike, smoking a pipe, making love to a lady..... watching a football game whilst drinking whiskey..... after using it this morning, that’s just how manly it is lol

I really liked it and will probably set my eyes on procuring some when the moment dictates.

TLDR;

Good shave :p

Umm.... I smelt it again last night, it was very fresh and didn't get much cloves?

But in all honesty you shouldn't take my work for it I'm terrible at the whole scent thing.

That's good, the Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum that I've been using is super clovey. It's not unpleasant, but it's not really my cup of tea. A bit too dominant on one note. Consensus seems to be that the Ogallala is nicely balanced, which I think is better.

Did you get a great burn from the Clubman? That's one thing I really do like about the bay rum, it's a slap in the face. The alum block and a bit of old school aftershave is a pretty good way to wake yourself up.

wow both at once!!!! At least you shot the deer first :)

(and you are lucky it wasn't a boar or you would have been very close to the great Moderator Drubbing's tolerance edge.

"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling, let's say more than 170bhp is like asking a man to wire a plug, while juggling... penguins, while making love, to a beautiful woman, while on fire, on a stage, in front of the queen... it's all going to go wrong."

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

That's the kind of thing I was going for :p

That's good, the Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum that I've been using is super clovey. It's not unpleasant, but it's not really my cup of tea. A bit too dominant on one note. Consensus seems to be that the Ogallala is nicely balanced, which I think is better.

Did you get a great burn from the Clubman? That's one thing I really do like about the bay rum, it's a slap in the face. The alum block and a bit of old school aftershave is a pretty good way to wake yourself up.

No I didn't really get that much burn, now when I'm chasing burn I use http://hairsupplies.com.au/store/product/14236/Wahl-Trad-Barbers-Bay-Rum-250m/ but I think that has some cloveyness to it!

But yes I agree the Ogallala is top stuff.

"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling, let's say more than 170bhp is like asking a man to wire a plug, while juggling... penguins, while making love, to a beautiful woman, while on fire, on a stage, in front of the queen... it's all going to go wrong."

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

That's the kind of thing I was going for :p

I'm on a horse.

(if you don't get it - where have you been!)

Sorry for the delay, I didn't shave on Saturday (I usually skip a day on the weekend), so this review is from Sundays shave.

Also I'm off work crook today so probably won't shave today either, will do one last review on Tuesday and the box should be on the way on Wednesday.

Day 6

GFT Rose

Ogallala Bay Rum

Why?

This was a bit of a comparison between my TOBs rose and the GFT

After having good results with the other Bay Rum I thought I would give it a whirl.

Result?

Well it was a rushed shave, I was running late for lunch with the inlaws. I busted out the SE for a TM shave.

The cream lathered up very easily, and smelt good too. I think it's a stronger/sweeter smell than the TOBs IMO

It was nice and thick for all 3 passes. I watched a whole bunch of Geofatboy videos earlier in the morning, so I was pretty wild with the DE; buffing, gillette sliding, and shaving over spots with no lather, I was expecting allot of burn/nicks but I ended up having the best result I've had in a while, nearly BBS. No irritation either :) it was so smooth I didn't even bother with the Alum.

I applied the aftershave a little later, it didn't really have much of a scent to it? I was surprised after how strong the other bottle was. Maybe I didn't use enough? Anyway I went back and smelt the bottle that night and there definitely was a scent so I don't know.

All in all I was super happy with that effort.

Cheers

Thanks mate - can't get into the rose myself but glad that others can!