The Paste & Cut Traveling Box No. 1

Nice review!

I've been using a Spoiler of late - can't recall when I put it in ....

T&H make great stuff - worth the money IMHO

Hey Mark. There are two sample bottles of aftershave labelled Pinaud Clubman. One has a printed label that says bay rum, so I've figured that one out :p but the other one has a handwritten label with no variety indicated. Do you remember which one it is? Just asking in case I or someone else likes it.

As far as I recall it is the standard Clubman by Pinaud. The Bay Rum is a different colour and obviously bay Rum smell, and the Special Reserve is darker than the standard Clubman.

I have the Special Reserve and it is great!

Shave 2:

Like Lynchy I gave the Speik combo a go and like Lynchy I have to say they gave me a really good shave. I really can't add much to what he said but if I was being picky I'd say that I thought the T&H gave me a slightly nicer lather, however the Speick would now be the 2nd best cream I've used! I found the scents from both to be quite nice and (obviously) complemented each other.

Next cab off the rank is the T&H 1805 and the Pinaud Clubman aftershave.

Yep that Spieck is top quality stuff! And pretty reasonably priced too!

Yes, must get myself some more, wait, oops. I have three sticks in the drawer :)

Yes, must get myself some more, wait, oops. I have three sticks in the drawer :)

My Speick sticks from that sale YKW still haven't made it home. I decided to wait until I had finished rubbing La Toya all over my face until I used that as I don't have any spare stick cases.

La Toya is just holding on too long.

Yeah it's depressing. No more shaving stuff to buy really. I've even caved in to last bastion of disorders...DE blades. With the recent Shick buy and bearing in mind how long they tend to last I've got enough blades to last me ten years. Any more would be a true acquisition disorder or maybe a collecting disorder.

So little shaving gear to buy - so much time ...

Shave 3:

Used the T&H 1805 and the Pinaud Clubman aftershave. The T&H was just as I expected, having already tried the lavender version, just a slightly different scent which I think I preferred - slightly more manly. With the aftershave I think some people might love it but I'm not one of them... It's hard to describe the scent without using taste descriptors but it smells slightly tangy and sweet if that makes sense?

Next up is the eshave almond cream and the Aqua Velva aftershave.

Edit: After a few hours with the aftershave, I have to say that it has changed somewhat. It has lost that sweet smell and become quite musky. And it keeps on keeping on! It hasn't faded at all.

Last edited:
Shave 4

Today was the eshave cream and the Aqua Velva aftershave. As you would expect from an expensive cream ($36.00 for 120g at Mensbiz) it gave a good thick lather even though I only used a tiny bit out of an already half empty tiny sample jar. It was supposedly Almond scent but I can't say I really picked up much scent at all. If I had to choose between this and the T&H cream, I'd give a narrow points victory to T&H only because it had a more discernible scent.

I used the Aqua Velva straight after shaving and it gave a slight stinging sensation which only lasted maybe a minute. Smells nice, in fact this is the first aftershave that SWMBO has commented on unprompted so that gives it a big tick :cheesy:

Next up is the "famous" Arko stick on Sunday then I'll pack it up and move it on. Mark, who gets it next?

Nice review!

GThomas is next, then Mong then Perthdog from memory :)

Nice reviews, JayDee. It's a shame Pinaud Clubman is hard to get out here.

Shave 5:

Today I tried the famous/infamous Arko stick and the Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum. Well, the Arko stick lathered up fine, better than the only other stick I have used (a Palmolive supermarket stick) and gave me a good shave. I don't know whether I could live with its "unique" scent on a day to day basis though!

The aftershave was OK. I've discovered during the last week that I'm not really into the Bay Rum scent having tried two different ones. Also the scent faded rather quickly, especially compared to the other Pinaud Clubman sample which lasted all day. I want to thank Mark for putting this together as it has given me an opportunity to try some great creams and aftershaves that I would otherwise never been able to sample.

I liked them all but I would say that my favourites were the T&H 1805 cream and the Aqua Velva aftershave. I don't have much to add to the box but I've chucked in a Thayers Witch Hazel and a Weishi (branded Comoy) razor. The razor may be of interest to anyone who wants to take a "Walk on the Mild side" or to give to someone who wants to try DE shaving. Mark can you PM me GThomas's address and I'll move it along tomorrow.

Shave 5:

Today I tried the famous/infamous Arko stick and the Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum. Well, the Arko stick lathered up fine, better than the only other stick I have used (a Palmolive supermarket stick) and gave me a good shave. I don't know whether I could live with its "unique" scent on a day to day basis though!

Ditto here, although the smell does dissipate if you leave it open on the benchtop for a while!

The aftershave was OK. I've discovered during the last week that I'm not really into the Bay Rum scent having tried two different ones. Also the scent faded rather quickly, especially compared to the other Pinaud Clubman sample which lasted all day. I want to thank Mark for putting this together as it has given me an opportunity to try some great creams and aftershaves that I would otherwise never been able to sample. I liked them all but I would say that my favourites were the T&H 1805 cream and the Aqua Velva aftershave.

That is what the box is all about. Finding stuff you like and finding out about stuff you don't like! The T&H you will find here easily. The AV might be more of a challenge but is a cheap option in the US

I don't have much to add to the box but I've chucked in a Thayers Witch Hazel and a Weishi (branded Comoy) razor. The razor may be of interest to anyone who wants to take a "Walk on the Mild side" or to give to someone who wants to try DE shaving. Mark can you PM me GThomas's address and I'll move it along tomorrow.

PM sent!

The T&H you will find here easily. The AV might be more of a challenge but is a cheap option in the US

Yeah, it's funny that the aftershave SWMBO preferred is as common as mud in the USA (not to mention cheap as chips) but appears to be as rare as Unobtanium in OZ! :D

Yeah, it's funny that the aftershave SWMBO preferred is as common as mud in the USA (not to mention cheap as chips) but appears to be as rare as Unobtanium in OZ! :D

Oh look!

Somebody seems to be willing to post here ....

Hmm... I wonder how they get it past USPS regulations banning shipping products with alcohol as mentioned here by you.. Dodgy customs declaration?

Hmm... I wonder how they get it past USPS regulations banning shipping products with alcohol as mentioned here by you.. Dodgy customs declaration?

Quite possibly - but that is their problem I'd suggest :cheesy:

With the low additional price for additional items maybe time to stock up!

Unfortunately I will NOT be going to the US this year :( The last three I have for one reason or another and it was great to stuff from Pasteur and other places - a bit has ended up in the box.