Weekly Razor Review

Okay, I am donning my flame retardant suit. I always enjoy reading Errol's weekly reviews. However, I just cannot justify spending $300-$1500 on an "artisan" razor when I can get a three-pass BBS every morning from a $30-$50 Gillette Tech. Gillette sold over sixty million of these and they are still around in excellent condition after 80+ years, so please do not try and tell me that the new "artisan" razors are better quality and construction. The "artisan" manufacturers have duped the wet shaving community into thinking that they have created a better mouse trap! Is it just me? I am waiting to hear from those of you who use "cheap" vintage razors.
I tend to agree, I couldn’t bring myself to spend a large amount of my money on a new artisan razor.
I own 4 razors, 3 are vintage Gillette, I enjoy using these and the nostalgic history of them.

I am more interested if a vintage Gillette comes available but not the silly prices.

That said, I really enjoy reading the reviews of these new razors, but I’m never tempted to consider buying.

Okay, I am donning my flame retardant suit. I always enjoy reading Errol's weekly reviews. However, I just cannot justify spending $300-$1500 on an "artisan" razor when I can get a three-pass BBS every morning from a $30-$50 Gillette Tech. Gillette sold over sixty million of these and they are still around in excellent condition after 80+ years, so please do not try and tell me that the new "artisan" razors are better quality and construction. The "artisan" manufacturers have duped the wet shaving community into thinking that they have created a better mouse trap! Is it just me? I am waiting to hear from those of you who use "cheap" vintage razors.
I'm not going to flame you, but I'll half agree and half disagree. Yes, you can get a stupendous shave with a "vintage" Gillette. My very first DE razor that I bought for myself from the local chemist back in the late 70s was one of those black-handle Gillette adjustable razors (new in a plastic blister pack :yuck:). I guess we'd call that vintage now, and before that I had a short handle (travel or ladies'? Who knows?) much-loved Gillette that got half-inched.

But there is something very satisfying about a really fine example of a modern "artisan" razor. Yes, the final shave result may be nearly indistinguishable, but it's not really about that. I'm pretty sure we all do things we can't really justify. I know I do. I certainly don't begrudge the $550 I spent on my Vestige, or the $895 for my yet-to-be-sent WR4.

Yes, my Predator "Gem" arrived today in GR5 Titanium with another stand, I will try in the next few days 🤞
Me thinks the AC "Evolution" also in Titanium might be a temptation to hard to resist. The quality of the Titanium stand was superb and the Gem's finish etc, leaves a lot of Western manufacturers behind IMHO and as Errol once mentioned "Shield are a cut above other Chinese razor producers" well he's right once again and spot on!! (y)
I'd love to hear your take on the Shield Gem. You're right that the Shield Razors as Errol mentioned punch way over their weight And I love using them, excellent tools they are for grooming and top quality for the price.

I couldn't help but agree with you. I used a Baili Tech clone awhile back and had a brilliant shave with it, smooth and efficient and it cost me a a few dollars with shipping. I was so impressed that I picked up a Post war ball end Tech and a Gillette New SC soon after for a few dollars more, restored them and they shave like a dream.

The Issue Phil, is that Human desire to own, try out and to figure things out on your own is as old as Creation itself. I have a pal who swears by all the Big Boy Razors and won't touch a vintage even if it is re-plated but that's just a personal thing I guess. Artisan manufacturers need customers, people need to spend their money and feel good about it, some want bragging rights when they pick up a a high end Rocnel or Carbon.

The one thing I learnt from all you lads is that it is all bout the Shaver and never about the tool itself. A seasoned shaver can pull a super shave from a dollar razor, just down to technique, choice of blade etc. So I'm with you but the wheels of the worldwide economy need to keep turning and Artisans and their dedicated customers ensure that I guess.

I'm not going to flame you, but I'll half agree and half disagree. Yes, you can get a stupendous shave with a "vintage" Gillette. My very first DE razor that I bought for myself from the local chemist back in the late 70s was one of those black-handle Gillette adjustable razors (new in a plastic blister pack :yuck:). I guess we'd call that vintage now, and before that I had a short handle (travel or ladies'? Who knows?) much-loved Gillette that got half-inched.

But there is something very satisfying about a really fine example of a modern "artisan" razor. Yes, the final shave result may be nearly indistinguishable, but it's not really about that. I'm pretty sure we all do things we can't really justify. I know I do. I certainly don't begrudge the $550 I spent on my Vestige, or the $895 for my yet-to-be-sent WR4.
Well said My Friend. It is what makes you happy that matters most.

I want everyone to enjoy their shave and I really do not care what you use as long as you enjoy the shave. I am waiting for somebody to tell me why a $500 three piece razor shaves ten times better than a $50 Fat Handle Tech.

I am more than willing to send Errol one of my Techs to review since I do value his opinion.
I think no one can but like You I love Errol's reviews and I think with every review he highlights the fact that they shave DIFFERENT.

I was never a Vintage fan having converted to DE Shaving only in 2022. But today with improved technique and a humble knowledge of Razors, I have come to respect the Vintage Gillettes. Their focus was on smoothness and literally SAFETY as the Razor title states. Every vintage I have used has been a delight whether it was the Tech which I found mild, The SC and the Old Type which are a bit more aggressive and my favorites, they all are excellent and I don't think any of the Razors that have copied their concept or design can hold a candle out to the Old Boys.

And Phil, if its a Canadian Pre-war Tech I would so love to sample it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I tend to agree, I couldn’t bring myself to spend a large amount of my money on a new artisan razor.
I own 4 razors, 3 are vintage Gillette, I enjoy using these and the nostalgic history of them.

I am more interested if a vintage Gillette comes available but not the silly prices.

That said, I really enjoy reading the reviews of these new razors, but I’m never tempted to consider buying.
Talk about Artisans and I have respect for them but some of the lads that do re-plating charge crazy prices and then they are put up for sale at even higher prices sometimes.

I find great joy and value in the journey of getting a Vintage at a an affordable price and then restoring it with dish soap or in some cases Brasso after that. It is such a rewarding and fulfilling experience by itself.

Once you go Wolfman...

Indeed, but the wait is a bit of a killer. 16 weeks so far for my WR4, and yet to hear that it's been posted. :rolleyes: :nailbiting:
Mate, am waiting for your feedback after the first time you take it for a spin. I'm a huge fan too having used a few of the Wolves that were loaned to me by close buds in the past. Recently, I sold off the only one that I could afford, The Aluminum Guerilla .99. I am truly not a fan of Aluminum Razors with a preference for Stainless Steel over Ti as well. But even the Al Guerilla was superb in construction and delivered a fabulous shave every single time.

Indeed, but the wait is a bit of a killer. 16 weeks so far for my WR4, and yet to hear that it's been posted. :rolleyes: :nailbiting:
16 weeks! You sound like a spoiled little millennial here mate 😁

I remember year+ wait times and still no luck 😉

16 weeks! You sound like a spoiled little millennial here mate 😁
Hmmm, I think I predate millennials by several millennia. :LOL: I read elsewhere that others had recently received their products in just 12 weeks, and that the shine had come off the Wolfman. Whatever, I'm not too fussed, as I still have a preoccupation with my Atelier Durdan razor, which was causing a lot of second-guessing as to whether or not to take the lycanthrope plunge. If I were asked to wait for over a year, I would have just said "fuck that", as they're either serious about operating as a business or not. To justify that kind of timeline, it would have to be for something like this.

Hmmm, I think I predate millennials by several millennia. :LOL: I read elsewhere that others had recently received their products in just 12 weeks, and that the shine had come off the Wolfman. Whatever, I'm not too fussed, as I still have a preoccupation with my Atelier Durdan razor, which was causing a lot of second-guessing as to whether or not to take the lycanthrope plunge. If I were asked to wait for over a year, I would have just said "fuck that", as they're either serious about operating as a business or not. To justify that kind of timeline, it would have to be for something like this.
To be fair, he didn't specify the millennium... ;)

I'd love to hear your take on the Shield Gem. You're right that the Shield Razors as Errol mentioned punch way over their weight And I love using them, excellent tools they are for grooming and top quality for the price.
@Bladerunner7, I’ve used the Gem twice now, it is a slightly different face feel than the AC, being deeper and not as wide, but I can get a 2 pass BBS (with touch ups) out of it. The last 2-3 years I’ve mainly used a Kamisori, hence I judge all by that 2 pass shave. IMHO for me I put it (after only 2 shaves) just below the AC, but so far real pleasant to use. The finish is superb, Shield’s are (such good value for money) with the quality of product, again IMHO, You need one 🤔 👌

You don't have to wait, I've already tried the same razor (though not in satin finish or with the WRH7 handle yet) - read here. Or read here for @Errol's review, since it's the same razor.
Each User will post a Different Experience. Errol's review gave the Razor a thumbs up and as usual it's very tempting...but the price tag is a bit of a reality check for me.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@Bladerunner7, I’ve used the Gem twice now, it is a slightly different face feel than the AC, being deeper and not as wide, but I can get a 2 pass BBS (with touch ups) out of it. The last 2-3 years I’ve mainly used a Kamisori, hence I judge all by that 2 pass shave. IMHO for me I put it (after only 2 shaves) just below the AC, but so far real pleasant to use. The finish is superb, Shield’s are (such good value for money) with the quality of product, again IMHO, You need one 🤔 👌
On it @LesC . To be honest I have never used a Gem or for that matter a Kamisori. The Iwasaki Kamisori always drew my attention big time. Thanks to you Lads I've figured the Kamisori to be a trickier tool to handle than a Western Straight. They just seem so nimble and compact though.

On it @LesC . To be honest I have never used a Gem or for that matter a Kamisori. The Iwasaki Kamisori always drew my attention big time. Thanks to you Lads I've figured the Kamisori to be a trickier tool to handle than a Western Straight. They just seem so nimble and compact though.
Well again IMHO I got a Dovo and S K Colling's S/R's, before I got my 1st Kamisori, a Tosuke (Recently PIF'd) I have an Iwasaki by Ryouichi Mizuochi as my only rotation user. I found the Kamisori easier to use (though not initially) than a S/R, it gave a closer shave and the 'feeling' of mastering it was, well GREAT :) (? ask @rbscebu his thoughts on that) The Gem well after reading a few Posts etc, I had to try one and the Shield Razor Gem in Titanium has not disappointed at all. in fact I now have no DE in my rotation!!