January 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely mail call! Can't wait to review and use everything!!!!!!
a20ea2beeed294cc582b00708df1d9a9.jpg

Cris Maden
"Another Cut Above"
Wow! Nice acquisition!

9xlR2Le.jpg

Another unscented Washpool Farm order to break my 12hr sabbatical, beautifully packaged with a nice gift...male grooming needing all the help it can get in the Summer months.

Both of the soaps will see division and the APR treatment with different fragrances to see how they fare out on the paddock, the results of the GL and AC were very promising in my den I have to say with comment yet to come from the General himself, @nsavage master of the N1nja Superbike and Lord @alfredus , Peer of the Tallow soon to follow no doubt.

6uzPRfH.jpg

Chatillon Lux is in! -
- 'store cupboard' second bottle of TSM Fougère as I like what Shawn did with the base so much.
- Champs de Lavande for when the weather turns cool as it will work so well with Castle Forbes Lavender.
- Yuzu Rose Patchouli Aftershave to match the soap I picked up from T+S.
- The Unconditional Surrender was a gift, and smells fantastic.

Not a bad haul for a Tuesday :)

bff730bc58cf21ff7bf1c8602be73152.jpg

GEM TTO "Clog Pruf" and a couple of vintage blades (FOC too. Thanks @huntereyes_ ). As a mechanical designer, I find the mechanism very interesting. The retainer/cap pivots down onto the blade and then slides forward. This is appears to have been done to ensure the blade is seated properly in blade stops. The means of this action is hidden very well. There are no visible guide rails, levers or anything and I must resist the urge to disassemble it to revel it's secrets. The head is also sized at a minimum so the difficulty under the nose with a standard GEM should be alleviated. All in all, an excellent design!

I really shouldn't but I just have to take it for a test run. I'll be on the lookout for another "daily driver".

Sorry mate, but I just saw this! Did you take her for a test run?

Tried, but failed. I loaded one of the vintage blades but it was dull as a pollies election speech so I put it back in its sleeve for display purposes only!Arrived home today to some modern blades so will try again soon.

Oh wow! I came across another small quantity of vintage MicroMatic blades some time ago, and they were great: sharp and smooth.

Needless to say, those new blades will perform beautifully. The CP is a great razor!

9xlR2Le.jpg

Another unscented Washpool Farm order to break my 12hr sabbatical, beautifully packaged with a nice gift...male grooming needing all the help it can get in the Summer months.

Both of the soaps will see division and the APR treatment with different fragrances to see how they fare out on the paddock, the results of the GL and AC were very promising in my den I have to say with comment yet to come from the General himself, @nsavage master of the N1nja Superbike and Lord @alfredus , Peer of the Tallow soon to follow no doubt.
Sorry @todras slated in for the morning with review forthcoming tomorrow evening!

Another one joins the clan...

QFLW-6fRu7c3P-fprFh6xZkG3PXkWnRR2PO7cVghOlPQnIWbBUtXn6-y_u13FhQ6NhTPPQfRsB3dMifO5pe0t4uZ32QpgJTl26Amq-Qp4sOmgPkZCbn-e2e6z7AooohF0NH8ROKua6ITNl1ZkjDeF4SqprGPfyvy3ybDlLdiHSWHXayRG11wTP4-sRdYfNZY0ZnzbdrN7BKy-eD97sJtfEEVp_At_btLMBw1Ks-G6AMXZ2avbR2hvh0jTO6tPYfhOkV3DXEY9Ts3J3run4mT8OkuysWJDQTCzB4pkKTHGLeinQoOBMqhbRIwU4_6zdVFeatzyZSQXTxHOhKexjTpMcznqY9dUVbzv93qBMqW2FC0Iva-220PucTjgX6VscK9fc4gowcI5BZj5q6PC5wwmzpDv4GnsdtHZ6bebVN71jqAbfepeJQDzcW9UxDieO61GuYQThDz0DP4AFlQKnO990juBcAJbjjdDfDQf4_X_-CNV7Z9tV4USzWhxvAuWMH70-ZMWlaPIlWApyjZMpXGcPTCYCJY-DVIoQLxsRubJ9P3AO2xPNV6xG_TXO-PaRQmQhhZVJg3EDDcV_cnxpI_GlwETPHp5SFH23k0pABSk1CP0h1hmTJH=w1360-h1020-no

An Otto Busch (Solingen) World Master 177, circa mid 1900s. It's a full hollow ground 11/16 blade, masterfully ground and polished and with no signs of use at all - zero patina, zero spine wear. To my eye, an absolutely gorgeous razor with a small, tasteful splash of bling.

Looking forward to honing her this evening, and shaving with her tomorrow :)

(more shit photo's - need more light in my office it seems)

Something from The Stray Whisker;

eb847250a059168ad34581aeebe73c3f.jpg

Not so sure on a couple of these. Expected more Fir in first snow, and there is something in Dickens I'm not sure about but I've had plenty of reservations on other scents from B&M and ended up loving them all.

And something from my mate Bernd;

ce1499d8876e66e3766a20448102ddea.jpg

643d5ce92681eefa8c46ad1077f1670d.jpg

26mm (28 out of the handle) D01 3 band silver tip at 50mm loft. Barber Shape handle in burl/resin.

This brush has been a few months in the making from ordering the custom handle stock though Christmas delays in production, 3weeks to get it out of the country and then another two to get it to me. I'm really looking forward to giving it a run in the morning. He threw in the Haslinger sample which I am glad about. I've been curious to try it for a while.

Initial thoughts:
No stink
Really do prefer the two band look
Holy cow this has some serious backbone!

Last edited:

QFLW-6fRu7c3P-fprFh6xZkG3PXkWnRR2PO7cVghOlPQnIWbBUtXn6-y_u13FhQ6NhTPPQfRsB3dMifO5pe0t4uZ32QpgJTl26Amq-Qp4sOmgPkZCbn-e2e6z7AooohF0NH8ROKua6ITNl1ZkjDeF4SqprGPfyvy3ybDlLdiHSWHXayRG11wTP4-sRdYfNZY0ZnzbdrN7BKy-eD97sJtfEEVp_At_btLMBw1Ks-G6AMXZ2avbR2hvh0jTO6tPYfhOkV3DXEY9Ts3J3run4mT8OkuysWJDQTCzB4pkKTHGLeinQoOBMqhbRIwU4_6zdVFeatzyZSQXTxHOhKexjTpMcznqY9dUVbzv93qBMqW2FC0Iva-220PucTjgX6VscK9fc4gowcI5BZj5q6PC5wwmzpDv4GnsdtHZ6bebVN71jqAbfepeJQDzcW9UxDieO61GuYQThDz0DP4AFlQKnO990juBcAJbjjdDfDQf4_X_-CNV7Z9tV4USzWhxvAuWMH70-ZMWlaPIlWApyjZMpXGcPTCYCJY-DVIoQLxsRubJ9P3AO2xPNV6xG_TXO-PaRQmQhhZVJg3EDDcV_cnxpI_GlwETPHp5SFH23k0pABSk1CP0h1hmTJH=w1360-h1020-no

An Otto Busch (Solingen) World Master 177, circa mid 1900s. It's a full hollow ground 11/16 blade, masterfully ground and polished and with no signs of use at all - zero patina, zero spine wear. To my eye, an absolutely gorgeous razor with a small, tasteful splash of bling.

Yet another beautiful razor! Congrats.

pc2e_gnQH_JbzNSDXVgv3J_1QRBcpva8mXljy7t8YnuSuWSdICqUB4JWlhoq8D7wL-Zf81MypSVO9-GmGwDEhn4U1-jllNvvB0B-eCoZAXi4qLSZEA1xn6BbVTIDiHCWpkOnPkflw-QorTHKjqn38VFfYUHg2mHmzz_pittKPbib1S2YmIneIndFoATy84_OPDhxu4sbGoGPcD5zswLsKM8JF6kxPJvJ1FFiwXe-OxPWwf9jDn5aU7hVRSQ6tXYRqBfcyEextHJeUjubEbZakC3S-2gJ5kLEUnOagjV2dI83ct5_ejEahC1BfsZ3KtRrMGgs-QMAYG0D6Yk8YRmG_OUOoQspgdlGJ9grVDQaOSbxXwJBPmnzwz0ZtQFXXK1qsvxB0w0tEc6XzlZUfJEHuGRm9pLme8N5hv__uxlemasKHs7Z9u-3B2yptWj4RIuqjL8-Gs4QDwIVd_WHa-52KygF_T3b_tIctwGExRuyMOBIXJrCZQJxjuA00-EJGkxQueCCOytK78Tp5hixo5qNCL8Z4BjrQInTuMOdVuDUDGX1GMDk9jgKGw0_nAcxnSw-7Yb86RAco8rITH6cJ3TGIuKGP1D1pVFZPWrwxRJ3YVjfnpxshPq2=w920-h690-no

From Top Left : Brutalt Bra Norway Spruce, Brutalt Bra Barbershop, Le Savon des Volcans Shave Stick (2).

"Brutalt Bra" apparently means "brutally good" in Norwegian. Brutalt Bra are high performing artisinal shave soaps from Norway that only use 4 simple ingredients. They are claimed to produce a nice rich lather, and to be subtly fragranced. I can confirm the fragrancing claim - the Norway Spruce is quite subtle in the tin; maybe like some other soaps the fragrance will be more prominent when lathered. The Barbershop fragrance is a bit more assertive in the tin, and to my taste very pleasant. The actual tin at the top left is fantastic - it measures about 9cm in diameter but only 1cm deep. Just perfect for ease of loading. I wish more makers would wake up to packaging that makes their soaps easier and more effective to use...

Bullgoose say this about the Savon des Volcans : "Le Savon des Volcans by Savonnerie du Bon Berger is a little known treasure from France. This shave soap stick utilizes 10% Donkey Milk which leads to excellent post shave skin care. The stick offers a fairly strong dose of Peppermint and the mild cooling effect is especially pleasant during the humid summer months. It is a great way to wake up! This shave soap is especially favored by straight razor shavers due to its superior slickness." The claims about slickness for straight shaving sold me instantly, and the Mint fragrance is very appealing indeed.

NQk7ZTn.jpg

First day back at work mail call, ordered based on their previous performance. Not a bad way to start the year either!

Great soaps indeed! [emoji106]

Ive actually formulated an Aftershave and balm for Brise de Oriente (Easterly Breeze) after a discussion with Manuel as I liked it that much.

I'm torn between ordering a 'Roses' or Bourbon Rose for my next order from him, I may land on grabbing both I suspect.

Close to my favourite soap from Manuel is his Bourbon Rose. Can't go wrong! (But I know you'll probably pick up both anyway! [emoji38])

Sweet - almost makes me want to cross over to the dark side ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnificent!
That C.V. Heljestrand is almost enough for me to go straight. Of course I would manage to wreck it so that keeps me safely in the DE world!

Sweet - almost makes me want to cross over to the dark side ...

Goodness me @Mark1966 - a pattern seems to be developing here. How many more pieces of droolware do I have to post to get you to actually have a go at this straight shaving thing? I mean, I would be prepared to lend you an appropriate implement if you really do have a go....

(more shit photo's - need more light in my office it seems)

Something from The Stray Whisker;

eb847250a059168ad34581aeebe73c3f.jpg

Not so sure on a couple of these. Expected more Fir in first snow, and there is something in Dickens I'm not sure about but I've had plenty of reservations on other scents from B&M and ended up loving them all.

And something from my mate Bernd;

ce1499d8876e66e3766a20448102ddea.jpg

643d5ce92681eefa8c46ad1077f1670d.jpg

26mm (28 out of the handle) D01 3 band silver tip at 50mm loft. Barber Shape handle in burl/resin.

This brush has been a few months in the making from ordering the custom handle stock though Christmas delays in production, 3weeks to get it out of the country and then another two to get it to me. I'm really looking forward to giving it a run in the morning. He threw in the Haslinger sample which I am glad about. I've been curious to try it for a while.

Initial thoughts:
No stink
Really do prefer the two band look
Holy cow this has some serious backbone!

Nice haul @Sxot !
Superb looking brush - love the handle timber / stone look - nice choice

@todras, oh @todras, have you forgotten something?

No post in this thread today yet? Been busy or Ausfarce mucked you around?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.