January 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, the P&C community can relax... @Benjamin was the mystery Hallows & Fougère benefactor who kindly sent me the samples :)

Maybe you need a separate acquisitions thread!

You were on the cusp of saying that maybe I need a Spreadsheet weren't you, besides posting my acquisitions in this thread helps me to normalize the acquisitions and make them seem just like everyone else's.'...

I knew I would fail Sabbatical 2017. I knew that. :)
Brought from US a few non-available here items from PAA/CK as well as some perfume. Wanted to buy Creed, but decided to spare my credit card. :)

mail-2017-01-16.jpg

That PAA ''Sundown" is dodges up to his old tricks, it's the controversial knock off of B&M's Reserve Classic, released shortly after Wills. I'd be interesting in hearing how you rate it in comparison to Reserve Classic.

A couple of my favourites!

Ive actually formulated an Aftershave and balm for Brise de Oriente (Easterly Breeze) after a discussion with Manuel as I liked it that much.

I'm torn between ordering a 'Roses' or Bourbon Rose for my next order from him, I may land on grabbing both I suspect.

8100e0be2e68a2682d6ad0a639f074f9.jpg

First mail call for the year! A handsome 1917 Bulldog that needs some work, but which will be a great addition to the collection. Early Single Rings and Old Types are a personal favourite.

Nice mate. They are a lovely looking razor the Bulldog.

I knew I would fail Sabbatical 2017. I knew that. :)
Brought from US a few non-available here items from PAA/CK as well as some perfume. Wanted to buy Creed, but decided to spare my credit card. :)

mail-2017-01-16.jpg

Smelt the sundown today, soap and aftershave love the scent.

Last edited by a moderator:
That PAA ''Sundown" is dodges up to his old tricks, it's the controversial knock off of B&M's Reserve Classic, released shortly after Wills. I'd be interesting in hearing how you rate it in comparison to Reserve Classic.

Mate I trust Douglas a lot more than mister I back away from my word Will from B&M

In my opinion as someone that has over 100 soap PAA make a lot better scents than most B&M

I'd put my money on the PAA lasting longer in terms of scent. Interestingly I have not heard any controversy about it either? PAA splashes are absolute top shelf IMO.

Thanks Mark! What's your take on polishing vs patina?

Overall - each to his own BUT my personal rules are

NOS is NOS and cannot be undone - buy a user grade unless you have a really good reason.

Replating and repainting is restoration - bear the history in mind and tread carefully here.

Minimise wear - aggressive polishing can lead to longer term damage - be cautious.

Clean and lightly polish is my approach - the soda and aluminium treatment on silver plated razors to protect them.

In my opinion as someone that has over 100 soap PAA make a lot better scents than most B&M
I tend to agree with that. I've got 10 PAA/CK soaps including the one he made for Peter Charkalis @ The Shaving Shop and I love all scents. Not counting the performance as it's great. I've got only three B&M soaps that I like and sniffed a few other - the other just didn't touch me. Again, not counting the performance as it's also great. Yet need to sniff Dickens and First Snow. I know lots of people here love scents like Night Music, Rhapsody, Adagio etc., but these ones are not for me.

Most?????
Don't touch Cologne Russe - it's outstanding! :) And Black currant sandalwood as well. :)

I'd put my money on the PAA lasting longer in terms of scent. Interestingly I have not heard any controversy about it either? PAA splashes are absolute top shelf IMO.
Cannot comment on the longevity of scents, but PAA/CK soaps are top performers for me as well. And splashes of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.