Post-sabbatical thoughts of 2021 sabbatees?

A great thing about sabbaticals is that they give you lots of time to change your mind. For the last couple of months I've been admiring the Alpha Albert brush, but now I'm going cool on it, since I found another picture of it that shows it in a different light, and I'm not so sure about how much I like the way they've done the area where the knot joins the handle. So now I'm looking at Wild West Brushworks since having seen @MadFlava81's great SOTD pic from today. :love:
Do it!

A great thing about sabbaticals is that they give you lots of time to change your mind. For the last couple of months I've been admiring the Alpha Albert brush, but now I'm going cool on it, since I found another picture of it that shows it in a different light, and I'm not so sure about how much I like the way they've done the area where the knot joins the handle. So now I'm looking at Wild West Brushworks since having seen @MadFlava81's great SOTD pic from today. :love:

Go ahead and grab one. Wild West Brushworks is a top artisan. 2 band badger fans are brilliant. It will go well with your unofficial sabbatical relief package.:LOL:

Go ahead and grab one. Wild West Brushworks is a top artisan. 2 band badger fans are brilliant. It will go well with your unofficial sabbatical relief package.:LOL:
Thanks, I will. But next year. :D I do see lots of pretty goodies there, so I can take my time to decide. It won't be a badger though, I'm a synth man, since BLM. I might have been tempted to break the break if Forgotten Art were still up and running (just to keep it really local), but that's not happening.

Actually, the hardest part is resisting the temptation to commission bowls from the many potters operating around here. I have a lovely wonky bowl from an almost-neighbour Jilli Spencer, but I really want to get a bowl from Rynne Tanton, since something along the lines of this would be pretty lovely.

@Gargravarr this has your name all over it 😜

il_794xN.2944087476_16uj.jpg

Well, just over 5 months to go here, and I've had the opportunity to change my mind several times since I started this thread. Gone is any notion of buying the ATT AC slant, since I've gone completely cold on that idea. There's no twist on the blade, so I reckon I can emulate the same "scything" effect perfectly adequately with the so-called "Gillette Slide". Carefully. :whistle: My Vector has effectively killed my RAD. I will, however, be putting in an order for 600 Prolines (it's a close call between these and the Kai PINKs for quality, but the Schick blades are a bit better value for money). Those should keep me going till I'm in my 70s.

As for brushes, I'll definitely be looking to @TroyTools for a nice sexy 30mm brush. Also, I'm enjoying my CaYuen brush so much, I want another one, maybe something like this...
il_1588xN.3056532630_nri9.jpg

As for soaps, I've had lots of samples to think about lately, so I'll probably be paralysed for choice for a while. I'll probably need to replace @rhodes96' Windsor quite early in the year, as it's been seeing quite a bit of use...

I hate comparing anything to the Rocca, I could not get any efficiency out of it whereas everyone else sings it praises about how aggressive it is. I’ve only just started the review so it’s early days with the Lupo 72. Smooth as and I’m going to call its efficiency about that of the Wolfman WR1 standard .61

hiya @Errol .. i have been looking into the Lupo 72 v 95, read all your reviews, many topics on various forums, spoken to members here and still no closer to a decision. One thing i am not sure about is if you shaved ATG in your reviews on the lupo?

I have no doubt the lupo 95 would be the pick of the two for a daily shave if I didnt go ATG, but I must admit i am addicted to ATG passes, as these are the only way for me to achieve true BBS. With the Rocca i regularly incorporate one or two ATG along with the WTG, XTG passes and this leaves me irritation free and super smooth

but my concern is how the 95 will be as a daily driver with ATG. I heard is is quite smooth but so is my WR2 1.25. WTG and XTG its super smooth and no irritation, once i go ATG it is still very smooth but leaves me with weepers on my lip area.

The 72 sounds like it is on the milder side but should leave me BBS with ATG passes.

can i ask..

Have you shaved ATG with your lupo reviews? and
How would you rate the efficiency of the lupo 72 v Rocca V4

I’m no Errol, but have used both razors.
The winner is clearly the Rocca. It has a real smoothness and “that” ping sound when I go ATG is something special! I’m like you, usually I do a WTG pass followed by 1 or 2 ATG passes.

My use of the lupo 72 is that it wasn’t smooth in use. It’s not bad, but I also think blade choice played a big part on how this razor felt. The Rocca on the other hand, isn’t as picky with the blade choice.

Shows my thoughts when I now say I’ve sold my lupo 72 and regularly enjoy the Rocca. If I had to recommend another razor to you, I’d suggest looking into the Above The Tie Windsor with probably an R1 or H1 plate. @nav1 would concur I’m sure.

600 Prolines (it's a close call between these and the Kai PINKs for quality, but the Schick blades are a bit better value for money)
Buy some of both? Why not grab a few brushes? A CaYuen handle, @TroyTools handle, a SxD Handle and a Smilezformilez knot? The Smilezformilez coloured tip knots are excellent, dense with good backbone.

hiya @Errol .. i have been looking into the Lupo 72 v 95, read all your reviews, many topics on various forums, spoken to members here and still no closer to a decision. One thing i am not sure about is if you shaved ATG in your reviews on the lupo?

I have no doubt the lupo 95 would be the pick of the two for a daily shave if I didnt go ATG, but I must admit i am addicted to ATG passes, as these are the only way for me to achieve true BBS. With the Rocca i regularly incorporate one or two ATG along with the WTG, XTG passes and this leaves me irritation free and super smooth

but my concern is how the 95 will be as a daily driver with ATG. I heard is is quite smooth but so is my WR2 1.25. WTG and XTG its super smooth and no irritation, once i go ATG it is still very smooth but leaves me with weepers on my lip area.

The 72 sounds like it is on the milder side but should leave me BBS with ATG passes.

can i ask..

@StratMan I'm going to disappoint you with this answer I'm sure - I don't know and have never bothered to find out. For me shaving is all about simplicity and I leave all the technical bravado to those who pursue those endeavors. My first stroke is always down the right jaw line and then back up dry. Next down the left jaw line and back up dry. In general my first pass is up the neck and face, my second and final pass is down the side of the face and neck. There are two exceptions, under the nose and under the bottom lip are only shaved downwards but are done on both passes. That's it.

Personally, I would recommend the Lupo 95, it is only marginally more efficient that the 72 but delivers a better shave.

Sounds to me like you just need to try it. At $77.50 from VSHOD, it's less than half the price of the Rocca, and I'm sure Samson will be happy to do a swap for you if the baseplate isn't to your liking. Or you could just get both plates... ;)

cant agree more.. i have both razors on route to Adelaide (y)

This is the ONLY way to find out and I am over the research into both these plates, the bags under my eyes are testament to this

I guess I failed my 2021 sabbatical, but at least I achieved a personal best :)

@StratMan I'm going to disappoint you with this answer I'm sure - I don't know and have never bothered to find out. For me shaving is all about simplicity and I leave all the technical bravado to those who pursue those endeavors. My first stroke is always down the right jaw line and then back up dry. Next down the left jaw line and back up dry. In general my first pass is up the neck and face, my second and final pass is down the side of the face and neck. There are two exceptions, under the nose and under the bottom lip are only shaved downwards but are done on both passes. That's it.

Personally, I would recommend the Lupo 95, it is only marginally more efficient that the 72 but delivers a better shave.

wow, there's a different approach.. going straight back up dry. I also agree with simplicity and my routine is always WTG, XTG and ATG (possibly two ATGs) but the direction of each pass is dictated by the direction of my growth, i just ensure for that I follow the above principles for that specific part of the face

anyway, ordered both so will find out.. it really is the only way