Shave of the Day - 2024

17 January
Pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" full hollow Spanish point 6/8 SR dressed in Western Australia jarrah timber scales, finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa.
Ba3dKVa.jpg

20 January
Pre-1890 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" full hollow Dutch (round) point 6/8 SR dressed in original plastic scales, finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa. This is one of the rarer Bengall SRs and may have been custom made.
Bn6Lnyf.jpg

With this shave, I also compared the newly honed edge on a Dold Dollar 66 for @ThumbpickerCGP against my shavette with a new Feater half-DE blade
mg7rsVw.jpg

The comparison was done shaving the upper lip, around the mouth and the chin. one half of my face was with the GD66 and the other half with the shavette. First pass was N-S and then a second pass S-N. There was basically no difference in whisker cutting ability between either when shaving N-S. When shaving S-N, the shavette with Feather was a tad better in its whisker cutting ability.

I would rate the GD66 edge as very close to but not equal with or better than the Feather DE blade.

A traditional SR with your own edge is just more fun to shave with 😁

PXL-20230331-203535819.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Czech & Speake (Valobra) Oxford & Cambridge
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ismaili Selection, Yemen

6mNDswi.jpg

RAZOR: iKon Tek w/Henson Short Aluminum Handle
BLADE: Gillette Nacet
BRUSH: Restored Ever-Ready Faux Ivory 18mm silvertip badger
LATHER: OSP Neroli Scented Shaving Soap

KubbUwN.jpg

RAZOR: Paradigm Shaveware Salient
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive 20mm Silvertip Badger
LATHER: LEA Classic Shaving Soap

6mNDswi.jpg

RAZOR: iKon Tek w/Henson Short Aluminum Handle
BRUSH: Restored Ever-Ready Faux Ivory 18mm silvertip badger
LATHER: OSP Neroli Scented Shaving Soap

KubbUwN.jpg

RAZOR: Paradigm Shaveware Salient
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive 20mm Silvertip Badger
LATHER: LEA Classic Shaving Soap
I don't believe I've seen Lea soap outside a tube before. Is this a proper milled soap? And what do you think of it? I'm always interested in "new" hard soaps...

I don't believe I've seen Lea soap outside a tube before. Is this a proper milled soap? And what do you think of it? I'm always interested in "new" hard soaps...
FYI ;)

wpe1869295_05_06.jpg

wpb50ba3bf_06.png

wpf10b335e_06.png

wp7bda1501_06.png

wp2e44e34e_06.png

wp1841ec6b_05_06.jpg

wpb4718fb5_06.png

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I like it as well as MWF. It's a tallow based soap that lathers easily and is quite slick. Post shave feel is very similar to MWF.

Even DRH has palm oil in their recipe now, and it's still great soap.
DRH still have tallow with palm

Recipe directly from DRH website

Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum (Fragrance), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Coconut Acid, Petrolatum, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Edta, O-Tolyl Biguanide, Ci 77891.