Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday 11 January
Razor:
Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (14)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 Boar
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Post-shave: APR Sample ?10

Thursday 12 January
Razor:
Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (14)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Post-shave: APR Sample ?10

After my last rant (?) about the APR sample I was then using and scents more generally (Shave of the Day Thread - 2017) I was feeling a little pressure to perform when I tried this yesterday and I got ...

Woodsy. Cedarwood ? Maybe Sandalwood ?

So I tried again this morning and I got ...

Warm Woodsy. Cedarwood ? Maybe Sandalwood ?

I think I will quit while I'm ahead - I'm clearly not a 'nose' :cry:

Away performance was great as usual (y)

G'day Speedmaster - haven't had the pleasure of experiencing Arko - my mate @Drubbing scared the bejesus out of me with his review of same!

It's great stuff - honestly! So the scent is a little synthetic but what a great performer. It's my one and only travel soap and love it every time I break it out. PM me you address and I will send you a stick.

Soap: Shaver Heaven - Arctic Mango (Tallow)
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Blade: "ELDYENNE" PN No 5. 5/8" full hollow

After having my arse handed to me on my training ride this morning by the trackies (they are in mid season - I'm in mid OFF season and just had three weeks off!), rain and the 350% humidity (feels like it) it was a menthol kind of day. Woah betide me, I have seen the dastardly doughnut of death in the Arctic Mango. The end is neigh. @Anthony, WE NEED YOU! Such easy lather with such top shelf performance. After a couple of days with products that you have to earn a good lather, SH is a breath of fresh air. Throw a wet brush at it and you're done. Cool is yet another product that just makes me smile and sigh with contentment. Awesome. By the time I was finished I was sweating again and needed another shower so I was tempted to splash the cool everywhere! I refrained.

Hope you have a blessed day.

yPPWg4C.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Klenzo romera
Timeless
Feather
Stirling Grapefruit
APR Fête au citron

The second run of the timeless today, it's definitely vying for the mantle of favourite razor and may just knock the colossus off the top spot. Beautiful to hold with precise machining, weighting and balance - the diameter of the handle itself being to distinct advantage. The gully's on the baseplate are similar to the merkur progress in that the channels are generous and prevent blockage mid pass (I will detail this in my review). Thoughts so far is that this is a thoroughly well made razor, my chosen blade gap being ideal as I feel no need for overly aggressive shaves that tend to cause my skin no end of troubles.

A second successive day of Grapefruit, yesterday being a Mystic offering today saw Stirling enter the fray. It's a straight up fragrance oil number with no dressing, a nice tart citrus with the predictable, sameness of the Stirling lather - good but not top shelf, always a consistent performer. I finished up with the Lemon Party which I am stoked with as delivering complexity within a citrus remit is always tough and more often than not fails. Definitely not so here - I find myself looking forward to the amber dry down after the citrus accords. My decision to use of C02 ambrette seed was worth every cent - it grants the citrus notes the longevity that you always wish for.

Shave well you capital bastards (y)

After my last rant (?) about the APR sample I was then using and scents more generally (Shave of the Day Thread - 2017) I was feeling a little pressure to perform when I tried this yesterday and I got ...

Woodsy. Cedarwood ? Maybe Sandalwood ?

So I tried again this morning and I got ...

Warm Woodsy. Cedarwood ? Maybe Sandalwood ?

I think I will quit while I'm ahead - I'm clearly not a 'nose

I think a SpreadSheet may be of assistance!

:whistle:

I think a SpreadSheet may be of assistance!

:whistle:

Here I am being so good with my New Year resolution and going cold turkey and you do this ...

yPPWg4C.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Klenzo romera
Timeless
Feather
Stirling Grapefruit
APR Fête au citron

The second run of the timeless today, it's definitely vying for the mantle of favourite razor and may just knock the colossus off the top spot. Beautiful to hold with precise machining, weighting and balance - the diameter of the handle itself being to distinct advantage. The gully's on the baseplate are similar to the merkur progress in that the channels are generous and prevent blockage mid pass (I will detail this in my review). Thoughts so far is that this is a thoroughly well made razor, my chosen blade gap being ideal as I feel no need for overly aggressive shaves that tend to cause my skin no end of troubles.

A second successive day of Grapefruit, yesterday being a Mystic offering today saw Stirling enter the fray. It's a straight up fragrance oil number with no dressing, a nice tart citrus with the predictable, sameness of the Stirling lather - good but not top shelf, always a consistent performer. I finished up with the Lemon Party which I am stoked with as delivering complexity within a citrus remit is always tough and more often than not fails. Definitely not so here - I find myself looking forward to the amber dry down after the citrus accords. My decision to use of C02 ambrette seed was worth every cent - it grants the citrus notes the longevity that you always wish for.

Shave well you capital bastards (y)

@todras I'm enjoying reading your preliminary impressions of the Timeless, can't wait for the full review! It seems to be a rather polarising razor with shavers either absolutely loving or entirely hating it.

It's great stuff - honestly! So the scent is a little synthetic but what a great performer. It's my one and only travel soap and love it every time I break it out. PM me you address and I will send you a stick.

@TomG trust me you'll LOVE Arko shave stick and it's super CHEAP, and don't worry it won't even smell worst like @Greenpike as Satan's urine :ROFLMAO: it's just a weak lemon scent to my nose and I LOVE IT (y).

When you received an Arko stick from @Sxot and IF you really like it and is does lather HUGE and pretty quick get yourself a whole box of 12 sticks for $30 AUD click here this will keep @King of Authentic Shave very happy ;)
gpJ33il.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.