Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Peppermint Plus, Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol, Glycerin
Razor: Gillette Open Comb
Blade: Polsilver SI (7)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Myrsol Formula "C"

Went in with the idea that I might give the peppermint plus a bit aft a kick with the 36 degree heat today. It seems however, that the Catie's Bubbles has lost it's menthol kick unfortunately. It is only a sample size, and I've been saving it for summer... Anyway, the lather was still good and the shave superb. The Polsilver still very serviceable after 7 shaves.

Evening shave 5th Jan.

Preshave: Shower & Bloomwater.
Razor/Blade: 1923 Gillette NEW w/Wilk. sword (4).
Soap: iColonia Mango oil
Brush: "Heelan Coo" PantaRei mixed Badger/Boar knot.
Postshave: Thayers Original, Myrsol Emulsion, Floid Sauve.

Great shave from the NEW, very smooth, very close 3 pass
1f642.png
. Just what was needed what with the cold weather moving in and all electric heating.
IMG_20170105_161919475-01.jpeg

I really enjoy and look forward to your SOTD pictures @Alba65, you have a real gift for composition, mood and tone with really cracking shave kit too :)

Razor: N1 Slim (5)
Blade: Gillette Platinum, 1970's NOS UK made (~10 shaves in)
Soap: TSS 'Aqua di Florida' (non-existent sample Mrs Charky, I swear)
Brush: Plissitane

Blade is starting to struggle on the neck now but its good for a few more if careful. Did nick two bumps.

Still love the AdF scent, citrus but not lemon or lime so it does last a bit longer. c'mon Con lets get the Florida Water imported and stocked. You will find there are other markets for it, and it might open up the customer base.

a448544ba4f20419c5520e3b7a7c4964.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Osma
Razor: ATT Kronos open comb M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (4)
EDT: Givenchy Gentleman

The amazing shaving soap that is Osma! It is slow to lather and very thirsty; does not feel particularly luxurious; but for me is right up there with the very best for performance. It allows extremely close blade/skin contact, resulting in very high efficiency; and for me at least a stellar shave time after time. Post shave feel is also delightful.
A very satisfying shave, with the timeless leather notes of Givenchy Gentleman providing a suitable finishing touch.

I really enjoy and look forward to your SOTD pictures @Alba65, you have a real gift for composition, mood and tone with really cracking shave kit too :)

Thanks todras, can't take too much credit though, these apps make it pretty easy :)

Todays shave, after a week of sub-zero temperatures bottoming out yesterday at -15*C my face really needs a rest. Proraso white is the next best thing to that as i can't go 3 days without shaving or it drives me nuts.

Preshave: Shower & Bloomwater
Razor/Blade: Gillette super-adjustable w/ Lord SS.
Brush: Cadman chubby HMW
Postshave: Thayers aloe vera witch hazel, Myrsol Emulsion and Rockface balm mix, Antico acqua di colonia Positano aftershave.

IMG_20170107_174907548-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: merkur 15c
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: C&S O&C
A/S: Proraso red post

a9c10f8308c8ba96a952d91503b869ff.jpg

Another great shave with this soap. Such a classic IMO. Definitely on par with any vintage tallow soaps. As for the proraso so an effective post shave. Absorbed instantly it leaves the skin feeling great and no sheen whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (11)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Shaving Soap
Post-shave: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Aftershave Splash

Can almost see the bottom of this soap ...

mY1pf8d.jpg

klenzo b985 romera
Gillette Slim
Feather
Washpool Farm choix alfredus
APR choix Alfredus Balm
APR choix Alfredus Aftershave

A busy weekend draws to a close, the APR Summer Scents being quite popular. A nice laid back shave this morning and the first run of the Washpool Farm which I have scented with the perfume base of the Alfredus Choice to good effect. This is the new tallow version of their soap and it performs well, I plan to give it a thorough evaluation over the next few days, with The Generals Ledger also receiving the treatment.

Two passes and a nice cold, drenching then on with the goodness of the choix Alfredus to easy into a relaxed, leisurely Sunday.

Enjoy your day, and your shaves you blokes (y)

PAi0jJx.jpg

December 8th, 2017

Merkur 45c
PermaSharp
Wolf Whiskers TGN Finest 2 Band
Shaver Heaven "Arctic Mango"

It has been bloody hot her in Adelaide for a few days now so the Arctic Mango was just the ticket. Haven;t used the 45c in a while and going away for a week in early February. Intend on taking both the 45c and the Fine Superlite with me and thought it might pay to do some quick blade exploration in advance and pick some blades to take. Looks like the PermaSharp's were a great choice to start with, I had a good feeling they would be though.

mY1pf8d.jpg

klenzo b985 romera
Gillette Slim
Feather
APR choix Alfredus Balm

A busy weekend draws to a close, the APR Summer Scents being quite popular. A nice laid back shave this morning and the first run of the Washpool Farm which I have scented with the perfume base of the Alfredus Choice to good effect. This is the new tallow version of their soap and it performs well, I plan to give it a thorough evaluation over the next few days, with The Generals Ledger also receiving the treatment.

Two passes and a nice cold, drenching then on with the goodness of the choix Alfredus to easy into a relaxed, leisurely Sunday.

How do you like the Romera @todras ?

-Saturday-
Brush - Omega 11126
Soap - P&B Rhapsody
Razor - Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade - Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Post - P&B Rhapsody Splash

I had a wedding to go to, so went for the Rhapsody combo and a fresh Polsilver blade. :) Had a very enjoyable 3 pass shave instead of my usual 2 pass. Result- smooth face and smelling great!

-Sunday-
Brush - Omega 11126
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit
Razor - Dovo Diamant
Post - Witch Hazel, TSW Balm

20170108_SOTD_S_zpsqchuayuy.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Greetings from Paradise (y)

How do you like the Romera @todras ?

So far so good, very nice on the face - no scritch andreasonable backbone. I am hoping it is not a shedder as some are, but not evidence as yet which is good.

mY1pf8d.jpg

klenzo b985 romera
Gillette Slim
Feather
APR choix Alfredus Balm

@todras - that soap sounds really interesting. I was chatting to @erobins at the recent Perth meet-up (Great job @Becephalus for organizing, and the quality of ales was excellent), and he gave the Washpool Farm soap a top shelf review.

Two days growth to test out one my new razors today...

Razor: PPA Prismatic (brand new today)
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (1)
Soap: Wolfpac Silk Road
Brush: Wolfpac Finest Badger
Aftershave & Cologne: PAA Sangre de Draco
Bowl: Greenpike Special

20170108_150518.jpg

Thoughts:
- The PAA Prismatic is my first modern razor (yeah, I know, it's a vintage tribute) and I am impressed. It is very efficient with the best audio feedback out of all my razors so far. It's loud! Very easy to find the angle (which I'm discovering non-adjustables are good at) and I got a BBS with no nicks or weepers from 3 passes and a very quick neck pickup with no prior experience with the razor. I'm sure my technique is improving which is part of this but wow. The blade took a little to seat with equal over-hang but when it is all tight the razor is fun to use. Don't know how much the scallops help but I did quite a bit of buffering without reapplying soap. It's a keeper.
- On my second shave I'm thinking that I don't like this badger brush as much as my Semogue 830. Having said that, the Semogue is thoroughly broken-in with months of use so I will persevere for another two weeks. This badger still has a slight funk that is nasty with the soap scent but it is fading. More worryingly, it seems to dry out the lather a little so I need to add more water. It did only cost me $35... which is more than my eBay Semogue delivered from Portugal.
- The PAA Sangre de Draco makes me feel mysterious and happy. Lovely dry down feel and scent. I'm going to the shops and will be mysterious and happy there too.
- I haven't had a bad shave with a Perma-Sharp Super. My favourite blades are these, Shark Super Stainless and 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless. I'm seeing a pattern.
- I tend to only use alcoholic aftershaves. I have really oily skin so I don't use post-shave balms, alum or moisturizers unless I've gone too far and nicked myself or got irritation. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.