Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
F2 is new, and like you say it's all about dialing it in. No matter what the soap, it takes me 1 or 2 shaves to get it where it needs to be, it's par for the course with anything worth it's mettle.As you rightly point out, it is a soap that likes a generous load initially which is intentional as Nick and I both like really full, rich, voluminous lathers (I asked Nick to specifically make it a slightly softer soap too).

I was really reluctant to use the small 50gm blue tubs for the soap testers as they are without fail never as good as loading from a tub, even when you spread them onto the bottom of a bowl or scuttle and that's aside from the issue of the people whose preference is to face lather. As an artisan who speaks to other artisans, we hate soap samples for this reason - it's so easy to get a bad rap due to the sample size used.

So, the first ever review from a tub loaded F2 AP Reserve...We wanted an Aussie to do it as we are an Australian brand.

We arranged for @Spencer Frankel to receive a tub of Velours Noir directly after it was perfumed, Nick shot him up a tub which he used a couple of times and posted his impressions. No doubt other Aussie YouTube reviewers will also be receiving a tub of soap...

I will be submitting both the Velours Noir Soap and Splash to Ruds Reviews as he takes no prisoners, talks straight and there is zero bullshit. He also tests the soap shaving with a straight and has a simply massive soap collection and years of experience.
Good points @todras - the sample tubs for soap are difficult as even if the sample is representative of the soap, its hard to load and lather it as you would normally, so people may get the wrong impression of the soap. But at least get an idea of the scent etc.
Great work - you and Nick have done well!

Prep:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Razor: Parker Variant (3)
Blade: NOS Polsilver (2)
Scent: Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT

A wonderful Saturday evening shave. My first use of the SV Stella Alpina - divine creamy cologne scent, and excellent performance. Three passes for a DFS+.
My issues last shave with tugging on the second and third passes were solved by a little detective work between shaves. The blade was not properly seated - a case of "Not the arrow, but the Archer" :rolleyes:.
The Parker Variant again performed well - obviously it was much more comfortable for me this time around on the more aggressive passes, as the blade was properly seated/aligned. It is a tall razor, but as I've previously noted, is well balanced in the hand. Another virtue of this Razor is how easily it rinses clean, due to its head design.
Lovely post-shave feel from the Stella Alpina, capped off with the crisp, clean and impeccably mannered Chanel Pour Monsieur.

It was a nice day, so I shaved twice. first in the morning, short of time, and second in the late evening, to be fully "made"

morning:
Pre: hot water
razor: Magard V3A
blade: Astra green
brush: BSB2 silvertip
Soap: Squadron Soap "The Warden"
Splash: Floid Suave

BEhVTLF.jpg

evening:
Pre: hot water
razor: Weber/UFO
blade: Astra green
brush: semogue 2000 boar
soap: APR Coeur de Vert
Splash: APR coeur de Vert
balm: TSW

E3q0U9a.jpg

First one in a hurry, so not much room to self-enjoyment. Second one much more relaxed. CdV has resulted in being my most used soap, according to the tub's weigths. It almost have a donut!. I'll spend most of next month in the field trapping "the black little fellas" aka Tasmanian Devils, so I will probably carry CdV with me, and maybe a copule more of soaps. I do love of CdV splash feels in my skin. I found it a bit different from others APR splashes :)

And keeping documenting the lather, of course :)
Good to hear that you are a "Made Man", Sealer. No doubt you'll soon be making offers that can't be refused. :D

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on a Weber classic handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Triumph & Disaster shaving cream
Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender splash
Fragrance: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDT

My boss gave me a tube of the T&D yesterday as a gift, I thought I'd better try it out. Possibly had too much water on the brush - I hope it is better next time around. I'll certainly include some in the next traveling box.

4ad92Ldh.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pb Max
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Friodur Henckels 11V Hollowed Wedge
AS: Pb Max
Very different feel to the wedges. The audible feedback is much reduced but a nice steady feel. I may have to make a non scented version of the shave emulsion. I really like the scent of this batch but it carries over into the shave. I was really looking forward to Max this morning. I was rewarded with some nice lather but the scent was competing with the pre shave emulsion. It won't matter, the AS will carry for a while.

Razor: fatboy (4)
Blade: Gillette Red (2)
Soap: MWF

Nice shave as a reward after finishing my first 5k, I hate running and am quite bad at it but I’ve got a PB and will push to beat it.

Last edited:
Congrats on hitting the 5k mark @Ferret619

15s53lu.jpg

Rockwell 6S R3 w/ Perma Sharp Super (thanks @lerenau)
Yaqi Tuxedo
AP Reserve Winterfall Soap/Splash/EdP

First try of that blade. Cannot complain! That has to go down as up there with the Polsilver for me.

The more I use the Winterfall EdP the more I love it. It has really grown on me. This is one of my favourite scents.

Pre: jojoba oil
Progress w/Feather
TurnNshave full moon silvertip synth
SV Felce Aromatica
Anherb balm

Used a feather after a long time and thought I'd better use it in the lighter standard progress instead of the XL.

What a shave! Just gliding through the stubble, easier than the Polsilver!! But feather can never be a daily blade as my skin really doesn't like them much. There's no razor burn or redness or nicks but my skin feels "raw".

I also found over the last couple of days that pre shave should be used in minute amounts. I used just 2 drops of jojoba oil, just enough to get it to absorb in and it worked awesome as the skin was ready for shaving and the slickness of the soap was able to show its full potential!

20180429_093940_01.jpg

Date: 29 April 2018

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Tabac Shaving Stick
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C (R4) / Vintage Wilkinson Sword Stainless Super Sword-Edge #4
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic

My shoulders, neck and back are sore from so much manual sanding the walls and ceiling, also paint filler and wall filler for small minor cracks and more sanding work on Monday. Hopefully, start painting on Tuesday because new carpet starts Saturday.

IMAG0092.jpg

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Razor: iKon X3 + OSS handle
Blade: Rockwell (3)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine Lathering bowl
Pre: Shower & PAA Cube
Soap: APR Alfredus Choice

Thanks @Kaeckerut for the soap - has to be one of my favourite, scent wise (y)

Tr3xxsXl.jpg

Semogue Boar, Mitchells Wool Fat, Tech, Polsilver, Witch Hazel, Nivea, VCS
Using a new Polsiver in the old Tech did not go as good as I hoped.I have used Nacets in this razor with excellent results and will be returning to those blades as the Polsilver just does not work right.Ok on the cheeks yet throat area I could tell that the chin was going to be a bit rough and it was.Felt quite harsh needing way more strokes than I should have and got a good bleeder that required styptic.That's twice I have used the liquid in the last week.
Not an overall bad shave but not the best so will keep the Polsilvers for the shavette and Mingshi as I know they work for those.

Brush: Muhle silvertip badger
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Astra Green (2)
Bowl: From the kitchen
Soap: APR Coolabah

My first shave with APR soap. Got to sat very nice, no irritation or weepers. (y)

Date: 29 April 2018

My shoulders, neck and back are sore from so much manual sanding the walls and ceiling, also paint filler and wall filler for small minor cracks and more sanding work on Monday. Hopefully, start painting on Tuesday because new carpet starts Saturday.

Oh I’m hearing you brother, tore up the carpet in the lounge/dining room and removed two old air conditioners. Still got a bit of cleaning up to do. Painting and floor polishing are future weekends.
Hope your painting goes well.
I thought you’d gone away from the Synths.? They’d still be good for paint brushes.:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.