Not open for further replies.
9ZdcF0v.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Maseto 2-band Finest
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

A stinking hot day here today - so instead of the morning shave I went for a snorkel and had a late afternoon shave...

The BBS-1 just delivers...happy shaves. Simply wonderful and I am really very grateful, to have one.

At first I wanted to post more a loading shot - but the Mike's lather was just to good to deprive every one. And I must admit, the Maseto is a really nice brush - not only for the price point.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)(y)(y)

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: UFO Tornado / ATT S1
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Bayolea
and debuting the PAA/Crown King Travel Scuttle

So, about a week ago, I watched a video espousing the virtues of the newly released PAA/Crown King travel scuttle (link below). The first 30 seconds absolutely grabbed me - the designer, Douglas Smythe, was driven by his shaving patterns of;
  1. Being a regular shower shaver
  2. Being a frequent traveller, and
  3. Having a history of travel shaves being of significantly lower quality than home shaves.
Yes, yes and yes, I exclaimed! I knew right then I was going to try this design. As I watched the video, I became more enthusiastic, as I saw the clever design features built into the scuttle. I won't elaborate further - you can view the video via the link below if you so desire for more information. I placed an order, and the scuttle arrived today.

How did it work? Well, the video claims that the scuttle is a "lather machine", so what better to use as a test soap than my Love/Hate soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat. This soap performs very well indeed for me when I get the lather right; the problem is that this only happens about 50% of the time. I know I am not the lone ranger here, many others have similar experience. So, following my normal prep, I loaded up the Platypus and let rip. It took me a little while to dial in the lather; I realised after a short whip that the scuttle was in fact aerating and building the lather so quickly that I was over-aerating it. A quick adjustment and bingo - just the right consistency, and ridiculous amounts of lovely warm slick glossy lather.

Three passes, plus some buffing, for a BBS result, helped by the beautifully sharp vintage Gillette blade. The other thing I noticed was how quickly more lather could be generated in the scuttle by additional working of the brush, without necessarily loading more soap. I've got to concede that Douglas is right - it is a lather machine!

The post shave was sublime - just a superb all round experience. Will I always load up the scuttle with hot water for warm lather? Probably not - I'll leave this for cold weather and special shaves. Will it replace a beautiful ceramic scuttle? No, and it is not intended to. It is designed and built for purpose, and that's what I find so impressive. I suspect that I'll use it mainly as a shower bowl and a travel scuttle/bowl. It will certainly accompany me on the next business trip for a thorough field test.

Congratulations to Douglas and PAA / Crown King for thinking out of the box and bringing such a cool product to the market!

Yes I remember that!

It's very different from AA (as regards composition), it's funny though as when I released it I only sold 2 bottles which I found strange as it's really fitting for the warmer months. Who knows, something similar may make a return some day.
If it is the one I think it is, I highly rate it too :)

I need today a fast shave, I even take a picture but not very good....

Squadron Soap, The warden, made a great job, as expected from this so great soap.... followed by B&M Seville, that still, does not give me what I need from a splash. so APR Lighting ridge as a real splash, and a bit of APR FRESCA as EdP save my day

Odd that TI blade has faults,especially warping as everything I have been led to believe is that they are amongst the superior of straights.
I think while there remains a reasonable supply available of vintage straights they will retain their popularity as quality of new straights doesn’t appear to be outstanding . I’ve only honed three or four new straights but they’ve all had a problem of some sort.

39463993394_e26150e516_z.jpg

Soap: Pb Ub63
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: TI Bijou de France
This easily takes the position of my shave of the month.:) Normally I've decided the night before what soap and razor combo I'm going to run with (necessary if there's stropping to do) but I still hadn't settled on a soap this morning (Spitfire nup, Felca Aromatica nup, Ub63 yep).
40175354361_67913f7c20_m.jpg

Lather was Oh so creamy. The instructions for the TI actually state not to strop for 8 or so shaves so I tried it and all was good. :D:D:D

Got no idea what's going on with Flickr. Top image is sizing I normally get but bottom image is what started happening yesterday. Resolution is being reduced. Can't find any settings to change. Anybody else got any ideas?

Got no idea what's going on with Flickr. Top image is sizing I normally get but bottom image is what started happening yesterday. Resolution is being reduced. Can't find any settings to change. Anybody else got any ideas?

Hi mate! There's a drop down menu you can access on Flickr to adjust the size of your image. Does this option show up on your screen?

40146006632_c4b5f2459a_n.jpg

Hi mate! There's a drop down menu you can access on Flickr to adjust the size of your image. Does this option show up on your screen?

40146006632_c4b5f2459a_n.jpg
I've seen it on iPad but the only device I can post pictures off Flickr is laptop PC and it doesn't show up on this device. I normally just double click on image to show it individually then right click on it to select 'copy image address' and that normally works for me without any sizing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.