Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
my fellow wetshavers, I have a confession to make. short on time last night and an early start this (Tuesday) morning followed by 'a drive' meant a quick shave was in order. I used my Braun 9000. I'm sorry.

I have another early start tomorrow followed by a longer drive. no way was I using my electric two nights in a row.

Pre-shave: warmish shower and a light application of King of Shaves gel while working up my lather
Bowl/Scuttle: small porcelain bowl
Brush: Semogue boar
Soap/Cream: TOBS almond shaving cream with a few drops of glycerine
Razor/Blade: 1940's gold Aristocrat and new Superior Stainless Astra blade
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel followed by Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: none
Passes: 3-pass WTG - light tidy up with Schick I1 injector

wow wow wow - lather came out great and what a beautiful smooth shave. the Aristocrat is pretty mild and combined with the Astra SS it was great. I have a lot of the Astra Superior Platinums and get good results from them but thought I'd give the SS a run and not disappointed at all. my first three pass for many years and no nicks or tender spots. while not completely CCS I'm still very happy. my thanks to @Gargravarr for highlighting my lather as being the potential cause of a previous substandard shave, really appreciate your advice. (y):notworthy:

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/shave-of-the-day-thread-2021.6618/page-27#post-177545

FIFTY-TWO backups is commit-ed!

giphy.gif
Speedy would say you can’t have too many ... I’ll leave the soap, brushes and DE blades to you guys but I’m all in on Straights. Since they cost about as much as an artisanal soap I’m pretty happy.

7K2WIrq.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6)
Blade: Ladas SS
Brush: Oumo 26mm Hook fan badger
Soap: PAA - Lo Haiku

Well the Ladas ended up being a big nothing. Not too smooth. not too sharp, but no character. Like the poor man's Astra SP - a blade that's already quite bland on its own.

IMG-20210209-214028.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24mm Silvertip
Razor: Charcoal Goods OC Zamac + RR Bamboo Handle
Blade: Wizamet S.I (2)
Pre: Shower
Soap: A&E Frozen Mojitos
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

Wow that was a surprisingly good shave with this combination. Rarely use my OC razors these days but this one truly shaved super smooth and close that I only had to do a few touchups in a few spots, with the odd tiny nick. I wish they made them in a sturdier metal as the threading won't last but otherwise a shave worthy of the Rocca or Karve D plate!
Not much to add for the soap/splash as great slickness and post shave feel with a refreshing scent but still kinda chemically. The brush whipped up some lovely lather so a very happy start to the working day...

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Okay cowboy, The 7 O’Clock Super Stainless is not sharp and smooth on my own stubble and I can only reach a maximum of 5 shaves, I can get 15 maximum FANTASTIC! smooth comfortable shaves with the vintage US Gillette Spoiler.
Obviously YMMV with blade use and if you are the lucky one with a stash of cheap vintage blades then go for it.

However due to the lower cost of modern blades and easy access to them, just keep using and binning them.

If you think you need to chase the decent vintage blades craze then sadly you are likely too late. Costs have gone crazy. Just stick to a decent modern blade, find a blade that works for you and your razor. Bin the bastard at leisure.
Eg Astra Superior Stainless went for 10 shaves (2 pass) for me.

Now wheres my gif :giggle:

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson boar shave brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette Aluminium Tech
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (3)
Post-shave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man splash
Fragrance: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man EDT

CU2Cn9Gl.jpg

Obviously YMMV with blade use and if you are the lucky one with a stash of cheap vintage blades then go for it.

However due to the lower cost of modern blades and easy access to them, just keep using and binning them.

If you think you need to chase the decent vintage blades craze then sadly you are likely too late. Costs have gone crazy. Just stick to a decent modern blade, find a blade that works for you and your razor. Bin the bastard at leisure.
Eg Astra Superior Stainless went for 10 shaves (2 pass) for me.

Now wheres my gif :giggle:
4-F35-E20-C-FDF1-422-F-BA64-D4-B32-BAB89-B7.jpg

I’ve already got a whole lifetime supplies of vintage Gillette Spoilers all 15 blades per case, got them about 3 or 4 years ago in a whole bash long before the price when madly higher.

giphy.gif

7K2WIrq.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6)
Blade: Ladas SS
Brush: Oumo 26mm Hook fan badger
Soap: PAA - Lo Haiku

Well the Ladas ended up being a big nothing. Not too smooth. not too sharp, but no character. Like the poor man's Astra SP - a blade that's already quite bland on its own.
.....or that's just not the razor to pair it to. I'll have to find a Ladas and have a play, I've found it a good blade previously.:) Then again, we're not exactly stuck for choice of blades......

4-F35-E20-C-FDF1-422-F-BA64-D4-B32-BAB89-B7.jpg

I’ve already got a whole lifetime supplies of vintage Gillette Spoilers all 15 blades per case, got them about 3 or 4 years ago in a whole bash long before the price when madly higher.

giphy.gif
Hmm, not enough. I worked out with my stash of straights and Speedy’s soaps I will have a handy amount of each to hand over to Buck when he gets back in the 25th century.

A bit more tree shaving zen for @Mark1966 and @SpeedyPC

6qq7g8Yl.jpg

1KWDP0Nm.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Tobacco Blue
Brush: Omega 10098
Razor: 7/8 Thiers Issard Blonde Horn
:)(y)(y)

This is an 'action' shot taken by Mrs PbGoose for me -

qq8lAwIFiXlcyDrAiUoiw6wkxsoicvIWGJFC6xIwMyth6h-xMxvSni8ssEeGezlpbU-Rfd900UdNHCgpGknoIkwhxD7QRP0qpemiot2IEnUPzsDrFEiaJ7Sv57xb

The straight is actually only for show!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Wolf Whiskers - custom 30mm blackwolf
Soap/Cream: Grooming Department - Cedarwood
Razor: Razorock - Lupo SS 95
Blade: Gillette - King C Gillette (10)
Post-shave: Proraso - Wood & Spice beard balm / A&E Ski

2 Pass WTG = DFS+ daily shave. Another nice shave with this razor and blade combo.

The Soap, Grooming Department - Cedarwood. Scent strength is medium to strong off the puck, mellows down once lathered. Scent notes, Orange EO, Grapefruit EO, Ginger Lily EO, Ginger EO, Pink Pepper EO, Geranium Absolute, Rose Absolute, Howood EO, Siam Wood EO, Benzoin Resin, Carrot Seed EO, Alaska Cedarwood EO, Hiba (Japanese Cedarwood) EO, Port Orford Cedarwood EO, Styrax, Muhuhu EO, Himalayan Cedarwood EO, Virginia Cedarwood EO. Texas Hill Country Cedarwood EO, Atlas Cedarwood Absolute. Vetiver Absolute, Patchouli EO, Vanilla Co2 extract, Tonka Bean Absolute.

Wow, I am stunned at the scent notes, let's take a a more in depth look.
11x different wood notes, 2x different citrus top notes, 2x middle spice notes, 4x floral middle notes, 1x herbal middle note, 1 x resin note, another 4x base notes besides the wood. With all those cedarwood notes, and only a very minor amount of smokiness to the scent, credit is due to the artisan for not cloying the scent in smokiness.

The scent is what I would describe as woody spicey oriental. This one is not too dark thanks in part to the use of the grapefuit, the floral notes especially the ginger lily, the benzoin resin, styrax which add a smoothness to the scent, and the tonka bean which adds just the slightest amount of powder. In saying that, the scent is also not light due to all the woods notes, vetiver, and the patchouli. I really enjoyed the vetiver note that cements the scent and keeps it on its path to letting you know there is earthiness, masculinity, and staying power. The dry down of the scent let's the wood notes evolve with the patchouli, vanilla, and tonka bean, resins, all aiding in the sensory experience.

Out of the ordinary for me I decided to do a face wash with the residual soap from the brush, as the ingredient lists over 30 face nourishing ingredients which was intriguing to try out.
Let me say that was the best face wash I have ever had. The face felt so soft and plump. Do I need to use any post shave product ? Definately not. Where would the fun be if I didn't use seperate post shave products.:)

Overall a really good woody spicey oriental scent. With so many fine cedar essential oils this scent could have turned into a cluster bomb of cloying sensory overload, though thankfully that's not the case. I would not say this is a refined type scent like a cologne, rather an expression of the artisans capabilities that pushes new boundaries with how much wood notes one can add without ruining the scent. The balance of scent notes is the key, and I think the artisan has done really well, especially pairing it with one of the best vegan bases in the business. For me its a two thumbs up.(y)(y)

s14.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional (4)
Post-shave: Shower, Nivea balm, La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5 and Anthelios SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT

All this talk about soap recommendations reminded me I haven't pulled out this one for a while. Still up there in my top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.